Ride Anxiety - HSP - anticipating that things will be scary

SnowButterfly

Earning My Ears
Will you find me on a carnival ride? No. Never.
BUT, I fly to Disney just about every year.
My children are young and I want to share the magic of Disney with them.

My problem is - I am scared of rides. I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder - GAD, which means I have general anxiety all the time.

I am also an HSP - a highly sensitive person.

Anyone out there who has anxiety about rides have any advice for me?

What I am looking for is coping techniques if' I get on a ride that upsets me - what can I do to minimize my body's reaction? What do thrill seekers feel when they get off the ride?

What I have been doing so far is only going on rides that I know are OK for me. BUT my children want to go on some new rides that I have never been on.

So far, I have been on one ride that I hated - Astro Orbitor. I thought it would just be like Dumbo. Nope. It is not a tame ride.

I was on Harry Potter's Journey a couple of years ago and was really enjoying it UNTIL the strobe lights started. I have migraines that are triggered by lights, so I was filled with fear the rest of the ride.

I have never been on a roller coaster, maybe I like them. My fear and anxiety has got in the way of me even trying.

How does everyone deal with their ride fears?

i am not afraid of rides so my advice may not be as sympathetic as some.

if you are worried that you will not like a ride that you have never been on then go on youtube and watch the rides.
that should at least give you a feel of whether you want to try it or not.

also think about the fact that children as young as 3ish are going on some of these rides.
my niece (extremely tall for her age) went on soarin and test track and splash mountain when she was 2yrs4mos and went on tower of terror when she was 3yrs4mos.
if kids that young go on those rides and are not scarred for life then you shouldn't be as anxiety ridden about it as you are.

idk if you are on any medications for anxiety but perhaps that would help.

btw what i feel when i get off a thrill ride especially tower of terror cuz i love the "tickle in your tummy" feeling you get during free fall rides is just absolute bliss.
for a couple of minutes after the ride is over i am walking on clouds.
its the endorphins or whatev i guess.

its my opinion that unless you are literally going to die you should try every ride once.
its like convincing a child to go on a new and scary looking ride. try it once and if you don't like it don't go on it again.
besides you said you were anxious just for the rest of the ride. well most rides at disney world are less than 10 minutes long so you wouldn't be anxious for all that long and then you'd be fine again.

Are there particular things that cause issues for you?

What do you consider to be a strobe light? What kind of lights are an issue for you?
I'm asking because there are none that fit usual definition of strobe light on the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride (i.e. there are some bright flashing lights, but not the regular rapidly repeating lights most people think of as strobe lights). It would be helpful to know what kind of lights you are concerned about.

Thanks for your reply Sue.

In preparation for going, I found a document online at the Universal Studios site that details which rides have strobe lights. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey does have strobe lights. I thought to myself, if only I had this document the last time I went, I would have been expecting it.

I had watched the ride on YouTube, but I didn't notice the lights.

you need to be speaking to your therapist/Psychologist/Psychiatrist. only THEY can give you coping mechanisms based on YOUR needs. I skip rides for purely physical reasons, not mental ones.

I, too, have ride anxiety (along with other anxiety "issues"). I ride (and love) the really tame rides, such as Peter Pan, etc. But anything remotely fast or with drops (I particularly hate drops), it's a no go for me.;)

I'm hoping to try a few more rides when we go back to WDW in May. I find reasearching a ride as much as possible helps me calm down a bit. I hate the unknown. I've been reading ride descriptions and watching youtube videos. I'm also planning on riding the rides I'm nervous to do right after rope drop. My anxiety gets worse when I spend time dwelling on it.

Thank you for your concern mrsjvb. I have had anxiety for 20 years and have the support of my psychiatrist and other mental health professionals. I came here looking for ideas because I am so proactive about my condition.

Yes, you have given me something to think about kren250. I have been doing the opposite, riding tame rides and 'working up' to the ones I am concerned about. (typically Splash Mountain). I would feel so wonderful if I did it first, and I would have nothing to worry about for the rest of the day. That would be a vacation. Thank you for your reply.

DisneyWorldDreamer - Thank you for addressing my concern about how I feel after the ride. I am learning that I will feel different after the ride, and that could be a good thing. If we both feel a "tickle in your tummy", I think something is wrong, and you are ecstatic. Having you encourage me to just try - really makes me feel better. Thank you.

Our son has anxiety issues. He is only 12 though. He can't even go to the dr or dentist with out getting himself extremely worked up. Two years ago my husband won a trio to Universal and Seaworld. I was really concerned how he would handle it because he had never been to any place like them. Even at local amusement parks where he has been on the rides he will still get worried and ask alot of questions about does it go upside down and whatever it is that makes him anxious about going on the rides.{He also has intellectual disabilities which makes it harder} What we did was let him watch the rides on youtube over and over so he could get an idea of what happened on them. Now with him we let him decide if he wanted to go on the ride or not and he pretty much knew what he would go on before we got there. Now he did go on twister and didn't like it so wouldn't go on earthquake. We ended up having an amazing vacation and he didn't have a melt down until the plane on the way home.{and we were there the week between Christmas and New Years}
My suggestion would be to watch the rides on youtube and pick a couple you think you could try. Go in having an idea what you are willing to try to help alleviate a little of the anxiety of not knowing. Just don't push it too much and try to go on too many new rides that will overwhelm you and ruin the rest of the trip. I don't know if this will work for you but I know with our son the more he knows and is prepared the less the anxiety kicks in.

SnowButterfly said:

My problem is - I am scared of rides. I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder - GAD, which means I have general anxiety all the time.

What I am looking for is coping techniques if' I get on a ride that upsets me - what can I do to minimize my body's reaction? What do thrill seekers feel when they get off the ride?

What I have been doing so far is only going on rides that I know are OK for me. BUT my children want to go on some new rides that I have never been on.

So far, I have been on one ride that I hated - Astro Orbitor. I thought it would just be like Dumbo. Nope. It is not a tame ride.

I was on Harry Potter's Journey a couple of years ago and was really enjoying it UNTIL the strobe lights started. I have migraines that are triggered by lights, so I was filled with fear the rest of the ride.

I have never been on a roller coaster, maybe I like them. My fear and anxiety has got in the way of me even trying.

For me, YouTube and wikipedia have been a godsend. People put up videos that show the whole ride experience and practically turn-by-turn, frame-by-frame descriptions. I find my anxiety isn't nearly as bad if I know what is coming, especially because I am startled virtually everything. (Do not try to tell me Nemo Is a kids' ride, I jumped and clung to my partner more than once.) It also helps me judge what rides might be a problem because they're too intense.

I have also found that anti-anxiety medication is invaluable for me when it comes to rides and trips, and I can actually feel akin to how neurotypical people feel on rides- I'd never had that before. But obviously you know your own medical history and needs better than I do, so take it for what you will.

Thanks for your reply Sue.

In preparation for going, I found a document online at the Universal Studios site that details which rides have strobe lights. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey does have strobe lights. I thought to myself, if only I had this document the last time I went, I would have been expecting it.

I had watched the ride on YouTube, but I didn't notice the lights.
The reason I asked what you consider a strobe light is that most attractions that say they have strobe lights have something similar to what is shown in this video of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - very bright lights flashing randomly, no more than a couple of times per second and often several seconds apart. Kind of like a flashbulb flash when getting a picture taken.
http://youtu.be/91jmC8eJ3o8
You can see single bright flashes or 2 flashes in a row at approximately these points:
1:29 x 2
1:33 and 34
1:40 or 1:42
1:52
And, then the video shows some bright lights at about 1:52, 2:00, And 2:10
I can't tell from the video; they may just be the ride car going past a light in the ride.

This is what you will usually see in attractions that say they have strobe lights.

What most people think of as a strobe light is a bright light that flashes regularly 12 or more times per second -as many as 60 or more times per second. That causes the slow motion or stop motion that most people think of as 'strobe effect'.

Most people who are sensitive to strobe lights are only sensitive to the faster 'traditional' strobe lights, so you won't see any of those at attractions.

Could it be there is too much stimulation? If so, maybe, you could try a ride with dark sunglasses or close your eyes for very short intervals. Let your body feel the motion and not your mind. You probably won't get to see much, but you might survive the ride with less problems. Then as you repeat the ride, maybe, you can be a little braver each time and take the sunglasses off at times.

Also, don't eat a big meal and then go right on a thrill ride. I agree with the other posters that videos are your best answer to choose the rides you want to try. It's not a perfect answer, but it's going to be your best opportunity to somewhat experience what the ride is all about ahead of time. I would think about motion sickness medicine; maybe, that would take away the edge.

I know you want to try more, but we are very satisfied not going on everything at the parks. We like the shows more, anyway. You don't have to do it all. I know you want to enjoy more rides with your children, but you may have to decide not to do rides that you can't feel comfortable about it. There is joy to experience the rides with your kids, but at the expense of feeling miserable or even sick it may not be worth it.

You may want to look at the height requirements and so forth of the rides and do the ones that are geared for smaller children and stay away from the thrill rides. It might be a safer path to travel.

Until you experience the ride you will never know for sure how it's going to affect you. You need to get familiar with your triggers like is speed a factor, or jerky turns, or heights, or lights or even darkness. Maybe, it's a combination of certain triggers. As you figure those triggers out then you may be able to make better choices of what rides to try and what to do to avoid those bad moments on the ride. I don't think there is a definitive answer, here. It's going to be a lot of trial and error. You can control your decisions to a degree, but you won't find a 100% solution from the way it sounds on your posts.

This is copied from post 24 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
It may help with questions about lights at the WDW parks..

There are not actually any attractions at WDW that use lights that are technically strobe lights (i.e, fast, regular flashes of light) and they do not have any warnings for seizures and/or strobe lights on any attractions. Where they do have flashing lights, they are always irregularly flashing, which is a different situation.
Most true strobe lights flash many times per second, but slowing to 5 flashes per second or less means that the majority of even photosensitive epileptics are not going to have a problem. Only about 3-7% of people with epilepsy are photosensitive and have problems with lights; of those, only about 5% would have a problem with a light flashing 5 times per second or less.

If you do encounter flashing lights and are concerned, the Epilepsy Foundation recommends covering one eye and turning/looking away from the direct source of light. The reason for covering only one eye and looking away from the direct light is to prevent both eyes from sending exactly the same information to the brain.
This should work whether someone has a problem with epilepsy or has problems with lights for another reason.

This is a list of attractions I know of with light effects of some type. Many attractions have a single light or 2, so it is difficult to list all. But, I am sure that we have included most of them.
MK
  • Enchanted Tiki Room - periods of darkness with simulated lightning. The lightning is random and short.
  • Pirates - some lightning flashes in the first dark part of the ride. Some random flickering from simulated flames in the last half.
  • Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road - there are no light effects in this attraction, but if you are riding on a sunny day, you will go in and out of dark tunnels repeatedly at high speed.
  • Splash Mountain - on a sunny day, there are several places where you will go from dimly lit indoor areas to outdoor. The ride moves slowly, so the change is slow. There is a single bright flash when your picture is taken during the big drop.
  • Haunted Mansion - almost at the end of the preshow, there is a flash of lightning at the top of the ceiling. Boarding area includes flickering wall sconces.
  • Small World - the end scene includes numerous ropes of white lights that blink on and off in a regular pattern. I would describe it as a traveling pattern - as one light goes off, the next light in line goes on. So, the light travels down the strand of lights.
  • Buzz Lightyear - just before the last room of the ride, there is a long narrow tunnel room with swirling red lights and flashing white lights. The swirling and flashing are not rhythmic. The last room of the ride includes several very bright random flashes of white light.
  • Stitch's Great Escape - Most of this attraction takes place in the dark, but there are some random light flashes at times (while looking for Stitch)
  • Space Mountain - multiple flashing lights

Epcot
  • Spaceship Earth - the first part of the ride and the last part of the ride are dark, long and narrow.
    The entrance 'tunnel' has screens high on the wall, warning that your 'time capsule' will turn and descend at some point during the ride. The screens are bright compared to the walls.
    The exit tunnel has some lighting effects, but not flashes.
  • Ellen's Energy adventure - includes a movie where parts are dark and then light suddenly appears (the 'Big Bang' theory of earth's creation). Also includes a section with ‘confetti’ lights in different colors ‘falling’ from a point in the ceiling to the floor across guests.
  • Mission Space - Includes a flash of light for a picture and flashing instrument lights to alert ‘astronauts’ to push particular buttons. There are also small amber colored flashing alarm beacons at the end of the ‘runway’ when you are landing on Mars.
  • Test Track - the walls and ceiling in most of this attraction are black, with colored strips of light. On pictures they look like neon lights, but are probably fiberoptic lights. The lights do not move or flicker. There is one section where your car looks like it will run into a truck, which has suddenly turned its lights on. Soon after that, the car travels outside, so if the day is bright, you ill go into bright sunlight.
  • Living with the Land - simulated thunderstorm in the first few scenes. The first part of the attraction is dim; the second part is in a greenhouse, where the light can be a bit of a shock when you first enter. At one point, the boat enters a 'fish farm' part of the greenhouse, which has dim red lighting. After traveling thru that part, you will agin be in a greenhouse. The ride boat moves slowly though, so it is not difficult to adjust to the different lighting..
  • Soarin' - One of the last scenes includes soaring over a city at night, over a highway. The headlights of cars are either white (headlights) or red (taillights) and are moving quickly. The end scene includes fireworks
  • Journey into Your Imagination - Some flashes of light. One bright flash near the end where a picture used to be taken.
  • El Rio del Tiempo (Mexico) - fiber optic fireworks in the ceiling and wall in the last scene
  • Maelstrom (Norway) - near the beginning there is a spinning, pulsating light. It is irregularly pulsating
  • American Adventure - the Chief Joseph sequence has a few stokes of lightning. The World War 2 sequence on a ship includes arcs of welding light.

Studio
  • Star Tours - flashes of light during the attraction (you are in a space ship and end up in a spaceship fight)
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid - some flashing light, some twinkling lights and some pulsating blue/green laser lights above your head to simulate the top of the water. All are random
  • Rock N Roller Coaster - one bright flash of light during picture taking
  • Tower of Terror - one bright flash of light during picture taking. Elevator door opens suddenly to give a view of outdoors (so bright light on a sunny day). Some twinkling lights during the early part of the ride and I was too busy being scared and holding DD down to notice any more.
  • American Idol - includes bright flashing lights and spotlights that move/beam rapidly across the stage and sometimes the audience.
  • Fantasmic - includes some bright flashes of white lights that beam across the audience, fireworks, 'eye lights' from dragon and snake. Many people are using light up toys which may be set on rapid flashing. Glow with the show ears change color in synch with the show. Most of the color changes are slow transitions.The ear part is translucent white plastic.

AK
  • Festival of the Lion King - one act includes twirling flaming sticks
  • Dinosaur - dark ride with sudden appearance of dinosaurs in front of you. Random flashes of light. One big flash as a picture is taken.
  • Expedition Everest - includes some bright light effects

My mother has migraines and finds that reflections off water (especially the World Showcase Lagoon) bother her on a very bright day. She also has problems sometimes with the 360 movies in China and Canada because they are all around.

Closing your eyes as someone else mentioned is generally not a good idea on thrill rides. It's a great way to get nauseated. Focus either on the seat ahead of you or the track. Breathe deeply, tense your stomach muscles and your arm muscles gripping the seat harness. This plays into your bodies fight or flight mentality. Go ahead and scream or woohoo and release the tension. Also remember the ride is so much shorter than the line you stood in to get there. I've given a few of my more anxious crew these tips and now they beg to do the thrillers.

I am also a very anxious person (GAD), and completely understand your concerns. Here are some things that help me, much of which has already been mentioned by PPs.
-find out as much as I can about each ride ahead of time
-find out the length of each ride. This is huge for me, because if I end up not liking it I can coach myself through it with the comfort of knowing its duration. As in, this ride is 4 minutes and 35 seconds long, I will be fine for 4 minutes and 35 minutes, I can do this!
-concentrate on the needs of others. My boys are both on the autism spectrum, when I immerse myself in helping them with their needs, I can't get wrapped up in my own anxiety. Keep your focus on making this trip amazing for your kids, and you will be so surprised at what you can do!
-eat lightly (no big meals before thrill rides!) and stay hydrated. I also avoid caffeine, which crazy exacerbates my anxiety, and too much sugar.
-learn what your body likes and hates. Everybody's sensory system is different. I found I actually love mild roller coasters. The endorphin rush afterwards is a great feeling, even though I am always anxious before. But my body hates certain things like going backwards on EE, it makes me dizzy and headache-y, so I don't go on it anymore. Being brave is one thing, punishing yourself is another. I am amazed you got through FJ, and you should be too OP! Many people find that ride really challenging, and if you can do that one you can do pretty well anything at WDW. I forced myself to go on it three times (huge Harry Potter fan), before finally realizing that it makes me spectacularly dizzy, and fun is not about making yourself feel sick. Now I tour the castle, and let the others in my party whose sensory systems enjoy being thrown around have their FJ time. No need to feel bad when you encounter a ride that straight up does not work for you, as long as it isn't just your anxiety holding you back (hard to tell sometimes I know).
-find the youngest kid in line, and focus on the fact that if they can do it so can you! This totally got me through the line at TOT. :)
-get rides you are really anxious about out of the way first thing in the morning. That way there is no chance for your anxiety to build throughout the day, and the more you do the easier it will become!
-focus on what you CAN do. WDW is just about the most amazing place on earth IMHO. There is something for everyone, and so many mild, easy rides. Not everyone needs to ride Space Mountain to have a good time. I always challenge myself during my trips, multiple times a day, because the nature of my anxiety is such that if I never challenged myself I would never do anything, but I always make sure there are also times that are just relaxing and fun for me too. After all it is supposed to be a holiday. ;)

I hope that helps. Just know you are not alone in your fears and struggles. In my family of four we have two with ASD, one with PTSD, and all with high anxiety, and WDW is our magic place, each of us has to work to make it work, but in the end it is always incredible!

See if you can figure out which things about rides cause you the most anxiety. Clearly the lights are an issue. With things like coasters is it the drops? the speed? any tight spaces? being jerked? how secure you feel? If you can figure out what bothers you the most, then a little less, etc. you can figure out how to work up and what videos to focus on. For some rides that are dark when you ride, there are also videos on YouTube of the ride with the lights. It's definitely okay to never go on all the rides. Trying to expand the rides you go on should be because you want to, not because you feel you should. There's certainly more than enough other things at WDW to enjoy.

I love coasters, except ones with drops. I won't ever do Tower of Terror, but (not at WDW) have enjoyed a bunch of coasters that included inversion, legs dangling, etc. I do Splash Mountain, but that's because the drop isn't a direct down and compared to many things, it's not actually that long. WDW is actually where I first rode any "adult" coaster when I was younger. My younger brother had been "bigger, the better" about coasters at all sorts of places and I was not on board. He and my father talked my mother and I into trying BTMR and I enjoyed it. Next it was Space Mountain, which ended up being my favorite ride of the trip. (One thing I don't have issues with is dark or non-strobe light flashes) These days I actually won't ride either, but that's due to physical issues and the fact that they jerk you around a little more than the newer coasters (BTMRR is definitely jerkier/rougher in terms of moving within the ride vehicle than SM). These days my favorite is R'n'R because I'm short enough (5'4"ish) that it gives me support up through my head and it's probably the coaster at WDW that I felt the most secure in (over the shoulder harness). I also enjoyed Expedition Everest, although that has a section where you go backwards. I haven't been to WDW in years so haven't tried the Mine Train yet. All that said, I'm actually sensory seeker when it comes to anything that makes you feel dizzy and for compression/pressure around me (there are also things that give me major anxiety at WDW, but they're not ride related). That means Mission Space's Orange Side is pretty much the ride that was made for me ;-) I do agree that screaming helps, but closing eyes doesn't.

I last went to WDW with a friend who didn't like heights (of any type) as well as fast/jerky rides and we spent part of time with another friend who was even less into anything rough. The friend I was actually with had decided that she was going to try to push herself with some things and while there were some not-so-good (she liked the Green Side of MS so suggested we go on the Orange Side since it was early enough to be walk on and that was not so good), I think she surprised herself. The other friend was nervous enough that it turned into he was willing to try Soarin' or Test Track. Both friends ended up loving Test Track (possibly now favorite ride for both). One thing that actually worked with Test Track for the friend who really was scared of most rides was that we sat and pretended there were steering wheels in front of us and we were driving through it. We may have looked silly (all in our 20s or 30s), but it got him enjoying TT enough to want to ride again immediately. Plus, it's WDW, I don't really care what other people there think.

It's worth thinking out of the box on ways to be more comfortable with rides that have you more nervous. Some you can't figure out ahead of time, but working with things you already do at home that you enjoy or don't cause you anxiety is probably a good place to start. I never would have thought of pretending we were driving on Test Track, except, we knew that friend enjoyed driving and was a huge Formula One fan. Any appropriate meds you have (don't go overboard, but don't be afraid to use short-term use meds more than you might at home so you can enjoy the trip), making sure you get enough liquid, eating regularly (although, not necessarily before going on anything that has you nervous), and getting enough sleep will also help with keeping anxiety down.

I hope you have a wonderful trip, no matter what you decide with regards to rides or anything else that has you anxious.

what can I do to minimize my body's reaction

You asked that in a way that I won't feel silly for this suggestion. Have you ever tried Rescue Remedy? It's a "flower essence" that is nearly homeopathic in nature, and it is amazing. We started using it in my family after an employee at PetSmart recommended it for our cat over July 4th. Put a few spritzes in her water bowl and she was a totally different cat than in previous years. AMAZING. Used it with my son, who was a toddler at the time, amazing. Used it with me and DH, stops non-righteous fear and anxiety (and some righteous anxiety) in its tracks. It's like magic. And it's just essence of certain flowers.

In my town I can get it at just about any grocery store, but also at health food stores. It is worth a try.

I am learning that I will feel different after the ride, and that could be a good thing. If we both feel a "tickle in your tummy", I think something is wrong, and you are ecstatic. Having you encourage me to just try - really makes me feel better. Thank you.

:)

Here's a funny. I don't like the tummy tickle feel; it feels like something's wrong. So I've found ways to get rid of it, like making sure I'm not overly hungry OR full, and I inhale fully while a ride is going up so I can carefully, slowly, sort of forcefully EXhale on the downhill part. It almost gets rid of that stomach feeling for me entirely. TOT, coasters, etc.

But my son, he feels that stomach thing in his, you know, zipper area, and thinks it's HILARIOUS. The absolute LAST thing he wants to do is get rid of that feeling. He thinks I'm crazy for not liking it. We "read" it in totally different ways.

But ultimately it's just an emotion based on the way our nerves sense a feeling that's being caused by the physics of that ride. We KNOW there's nothing horrible happening; we trust Disney rides and the CMs that work on them. It's OK.

But seriously, do the exhale thing. It has made many of my ride photos look funny since I have my lips pursed to exhale carefully, but oh well.

Could it be there is too much stimulation? If so, maybe, you could try a ride with dark sunglasses or close your eyes for very short intervals. Let your body feel the motion and not your mind. You probably won't get to see much, but you might survive the ride with less problems. Then as you repeat the ride, maybe, you can be a little braver each time and take the sunglasses off at times.

Earplugs, too!

Go ahead and scream or woohoo and release the tension.

YES. I think it goes along with my inhale/exhale thing. If you're scared, yell about it. (just don't randomly yell when you're not scared in the stretching room at Haunted Mansion) You'll notice that many people yell then giggle. They wouldn't giggle without the yell, but the yell releases something that lets them feel the giggle.

As a last resort... How old are your children? Would they be able to ride alone? I can't imagine they wouldn't allow you to go through the line with them, let them ride, and you meet them as they are getting off. They do this for adults with children too small to ride, and one adult needs to stay back with the little one. I'm sure you would prefer to be able to ride, so as I said, this is just a last-resort idea, since you said your main concern is your children not missing out. :hug:

Okay, here's my perspective and a little practical advice too. I've been dealing with GAD and PTSD for ... well about 13 years now. It's easy to let anxiety dictate the terms by which we live our lives; I did, big time. Then we had kids and I had to start living for them too, so I appreciate the courage you show by pushing yourself in this regard.

See if this helps...
First, pick your battles. Talk with your kids about what rides they want to do. Research them, watch the ride videos, and set aside the ones you know you can't handle. Now have the kids select one 'scary' ride from the remaining list for each day you are there. Now you know you will only have one rough experience each day. You can do that once in a day right? If you can't envision yourself surviving that one ride each day, go back and pare down the list a bit more until you can.

Also, it might help to keep in mind that WDW rides are pretty tame. A lot of theme park anxiety is drummed up by the stories of horrible accidents but those are pretty rare at WDW. (corollary: DON'T go to 6 flags Texas).

You say you were diagnosed with GAD. Great, now go tell your doctor to write you some klonopin. By that, of course, I mean ask your doctor for advice on obtaining short term relief for short term anxiety related to a specific circumstance that is unique to this vacation. A regular general physician will do this for you. It sounds weird but practice taking the tranquilizer. See how much before you are impaired. Get used to it so you won't be reluctant to use them in the park if needed. If you get along great day to day without these kinds of drugs, fine, me too, but WDW is not day to day. You're paying a mint to go to this place make sure you can enjoy it.

In addition to or in place of pharmaceutical tranquilizers, I've found an amazing level of relief through the careful administration of therapeutic alcohol. I dial in about a .04 BAC and just hold it there all day. Your milage may vary.

Good luck.

I agree, the POV's on youtube are great. I was very nervous the first time I rode Tower of Terror, but as soon as it got going I loved it. I think the best advice for you is to really think about it. Whats the fear? The ride isn't going to hurt you! The scariest part of rides like these are the fear itself.

Ppl have given SUCH good advice. I also struggle with anxiety, but mine is more situational.

I take Klonapin-probably need 3-4 a month, so not a lot. One warning, it can mess with your memory a bit. If you end up trying it start low dose, and even then, cut that sucker in half. It might be just enough to take the edge off. It also has an extremely long half life, meaning it stays in your system for a long time. I call them my little "reset" buttons, b/c they immediately calm me and the feeling lasts (for me) for at least 3 days.

Non drug wise, one thing that helps me on immersive rides is to look at my hands or the seat of the ride. Sometimes I feel emotionally so drawn into the ride that I start stressing out about irrational things (on Soarin it was "omg-what if all those beautiful orange trees caught fire!" On Star Wars wknd I felt actually threatened and scared of the Sand People-totally irrational, but that's anxiety for ya). It might sound weird, but sometimes I needed a reminder of what was real.

I still don't know if I can do Dinosaur this time around-even with a full Klonapin (aka "forget-me-now" for any AD fans)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter