Ride access

pepperderr

DIS Veteran
I have watched all of Pammie Plus Parks videos on YouTube. She shows how to get on and off the rides and what it is like. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train looks like something I might have trouble getting on and off of. I am not sure. But I know they have at least one ride vehicle that has a door for people in wheelchairs to get on and off the ride easier. I also know that It's a Small World has a boat with a ramp and regular chairs for people to wheel their wheelchairs right onto the boat. My question is, if I ask for them ahead of time, can I use these ride vehicles even though I am not in a wheelchair? I asked a cast member in the Disney chat and he said no, that they were only for people in wheelchairs but I really don't see why they would only for people in wheelchairs. If I feel like I need it in order to safely get on and off the rides, I think it should be allowed. Has anyone here had that issue? I have a problem with depth perception so I tend to not step up high enough with steps that I am not familiar with. Plus I have bad balance and bad knees. It is not like I just want to take advantage of those special vehicles. My husband usually helps me on and off of any rides but I don't want to get up to the ride and then not be able to get on or off of it. If I am not able to use the special vehicles I will know to skip those rides.

If there is more than one of the modified vehicles (if they have a side door/panel that swings open), then yes. If it’s the sole wheelchair vehicle (that has a ramp/lift entry) of the ride, then I’m guessing that the CM’s would want to keep those for the ones who truly need it, especially if it’s during a busy time.

OurI have watched all of Pammie Plus Parks videos on YouTube. She shows how to get on and off the rides and what it is like. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train looks like something I might have trouble getting on and off of. I am not sure. But I know they have at least one ride vehicle that has a door for people in wheelchairs to get on and off the ride easier. I also know that It's a Small World has a boat with a ramp and regular chairs for people to wheel their wheelchairs right onto the boat. My question is, if I ask for them ahead of time, can I use these ride vehicles even though I am not in a wheelchair? I asked a cast member in the Disney chat and he said no, that they were only for people in wheelchairs but I really don't see why they would only for people in wheelchairs. If I feel like I need it in order to safely get on and off the rides, I think it should be allowed. Has anyone here had that issue? I have a problem with depth perception so I tend to not step up high enough with steps that I am not familiar with. Plus I have bad balance and bad knees. It is not like I just want to take advantage of those special vehicles. My husband usually helps me on and off of any rides but I don't want to get up to the ride and then not be able to get on or off of it. If I am not able to use the special vehicles I will know to skip those rides.

Our family's experience has been that the primary deciding factor seems to be if no one in a mobility device is in the next loading group in line, then there is a decent chance they will say yes. Not 100% guaranteed, but most of the time. This is NOT an official Disney rule, just reporting our experience.

Example:

Let's say you want to ride (the totally fictional/made up ride) "Slinky Dog's 7 Dwarves Dinner Dash", hereinafter abbreviated to SD7DDD 😬

You are in line at SD7DDD and we know (because the DIS knows *everything*) that SD7DDD has 2 trains on the tracks all the time. You ask the friendly CM can you please use the wheelchair car, because you have trouble getting in and out of the regular ride cars.
If the CM looks at the closest groups behind you, and doesn't see anyone in a mobility device, and so, knowing that it is likely there will be no one in a wheelchair or scooter who needs that car, they will *typically* allow you to ride in that special car.

On busy days, they would load someone into that car regardless, just so that train leaves as full as possible to keep the lines moving; Personally, I don't think it's outside the boundaries to ask.

Generally speaking, if you have a legit-sounding reason for something like that, and you remember to use your Magic Words (and a smile always goes a long way; you will catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar!) most CMs will be as helpful as they can be.

The front seat of boat rides is usually the easiest to get in/out of. We request front seat, then have DH get in boat first and help me in. He gets out first and helps me out. Take your time. Using a cane helps with stability.

I too have vision issues and a TKR. I have qualified for DAS, but rarely ask for it as we really don't do many rides. Only you know what your needs are so don't be afraid to ask nicely for help. Enjoy your trip!

you will not want to use the small world boat w/c boat without a wheelchair because the ramp only goes up to the wheelchair parking spot and you have to step down off the ramp to get into a seat. I found that more difficult than getting into a regular boat seat when I put my dad on the boat in his wheelchair.

you will not want to use the small world boat w/c boat without a wheelchair because the ramp only goes up to the wheelchair parking spot and you have to step down off the ramp to get into a seat. I found that more difficult than getting into a regular boat seat when I put my dad on the boat in his wheelchair.
Thanks for letting me know that. It is hard to tell from the videos if it will be difficult for me or not. Maybe that is one that I will be able to step on the seat and then down into the boat and with DH's help, I will be able to do it. I know I did it before when we were there but that was 10 years ago and I don't really remember if it was difficult or not. The 7 Dwarfs ride was not there at the time so I really have no idea about it. It just looks difficult to me in my situation. I wonder how the 3 Cabilaro's ride is in WS. I would guess that is similar to IASW.

If there is more than one of the modified vehicles (if they have a side door/panel that swings open), then yes. If it’s the sole wheelchair vehicle (that has a ramp/lift entry) of the ride, then I’m guessing that the CM’s would want to keep those for the ones who truly need it, especially if it’s during a busy time.
Thanks. We are going at the end of August so hopefully, it won't be too busy but it sounds like I would not want to use the wheelchair boat on IASW anyway according to someone else's comment. I think that IASW is probably similar to the 3 Cabilaro's ride in WS so if I can get on one I can hopefully get on the other but those two and the SDMT are the ones I want to ride that I am most worried about. The Aerosmith ride looks very difficult for my knees so I am for sure skipping that and Barnstormer, but that is a kiddie ride anyway. All of the other ones look doable for me with DH's help.

……You are in line at SD7DDD and we know (because the DIS knows *everything*) that SD7DDD has 2 trains on the tracks all the time. You ask the friendly CM can you please use the wheelchair car, because you have trouble getting in and out of the regular ride cars.…..
The only things I would add would be:
- the ride cars or rows with door that opens wider are ADA vehicles, not wheelchair vehicles. In most cases, the boarding CM needs to unlatch something to make the side/door open wider. Those ride cars are assigned to guests every time the ride loads. The CM only opens up the ‘extra width’ when needed. Guests can and do request those ride cars for various reasons (Pooh sized and need a wider opening, extra space for decreased ability to bend)

- some attractions have a boarding area that allows extra time for boarding, but the ride car doesn’t have any special features - some examples : Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railroad, Toy Story Midway Mania other than the WAV which still has the same door with - the back of the car folds down and the seat is removed to create the wheelchair spot

- the majority of wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAV) have one seat and one wheelchair spot. Most need to be ‘opened’ by the CM and part Of the car becomes a ramp. These cars are only used when needed for a guest using a wheelchair.
We use the WAVs as much as possible with our DD because she can’t walk or stand; transfers mean lifting her. We usually do have to wait extra time for the WAV - could be just one ride cycle, but we’ve already waited multiple ride cycles. Buzz Lightyear, Small World and Midway Mania are usually long waits.
There are 2 boat rides like that with a ramped area - Small World and Mexico.
The ramp doesn’t have any handrails, so walking up or down it can still be difficult, especially for someone who is unsteady.
A long time ago, I met Cheshire Figment (a moderator on this board who is now deceased). He was Pooh sized and also used an ECV because of his mobility issues. We rode Imagination and the Mexico ride because those were 2 with wheelchair accessible vehicles my DD could drive right on. Cheshire Figment had not problem getting on and off the Imagination vehicle, but Mexico was a different story. He walked down the ramp to get on before my DD, but had issues with no handrails - he did get a steadying hand from the CM. Getting out was horrible. He couldn’t stand up and turn to use the ramp for getting out because there was nothing to hold onto and even if he could, he didn’t feel like he could walk back up the ramp without handrails. He got out the same way guests in the regular boats do - out the side. That was really hard and required help from me and several CMs.

Thanks. We are going at the end of August so hopefully, it won't be too busy but it sounds like I would not want to use the wheelchair boat on IASW anyway according to someone else's comment. I think that IASW is probably similar to the 3 Cabilaro's ride in WS so if I can get on one I can hopefully get on the other but those two and the SDMT are the ones I want to ride that I am most worried about. The Aerosmith ride looks very difficult for my knees so I am for sure skipping that and Barnstormer, but that is a kiddie ride anyway. All of the other ones look doable for me with DH's help.
3 Caballeros boat in Mexico is very similar to Small World.
The Barnstormer is very tight (which I guess makes sense since it’s aimed at kids).
SDMT does have an ADA car where the side opens farther - the knee space is still tight though

A long time ago, I met Cheshire Figment (a moderator on this board who is now deceased). He was Pooh sized and also used an ECV because of his mobility issues. We rode Imagination and the Mexico ride because those were 2 with wheelchair accessible vehicles my DD could drive right on. Cheshire Figment had not problem getting on and off the Imagination vehicle, but Mexico was a different story. He walked down the ramp to get on before my DD, but had issues with no handrails - he did get a steadying hand from the CM. Getting out was horrible. He couldn’t stand up and turn to use the ramp for getting out because there was nothing to hold onto and even if he could, he didn’t feel like he could walk back up the ramp without handrails. He got out the same way guests in the regular boats do - out the side. That was really hard and required help from me and several CMs.

I remember Cheshire's posts and comments so fondly.

What does that car look like? Does it still have those uncomfortable bucket style seats?
It’s the same as far as the seat. The side moves out and down to make kind of a sliding board

Our family's experience has been that the primary deciding factor seems to be if no one in a mobility device is in the next loading group in line, then there is a decent chance they will say yes. Not 100% guaranteed, but most of the time. This is NOT an official Disney rule, just reporting our experience.

Example:

Let's say you want to ride (the totally fictional/made up ride) "Slinky Dog's 7 Dwarves Dinner Dash", hereinafter abbreviated to SD7DDD 😬

You are in line at SD7DDD and we know (because the DIS knows *everything*) that SD7DDD has 2 trains on the tracks all the time. You ask the friendly CM can you please use the wheelchair car, because you have trouble getting in and out of the regular ride cars.
If the CM looks at the closest groups behind you, and doesn't see anyone in a mobility device, and so, knowing that it is likely there will be no one in a wheelchair or scooter who needs that car, they will *typically* allow you to ride in that special car.

On busy days, they would load someone into that car regardless, just so that train leaves as full as possible to keep the lines moving; Personally, I don't think it's outside the boundaries to ask.

Generally speaking, if you have a legit-sounding reason for something like that, and you remember to use your Magic Words (and a smile always goes a long way; you will catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar!) most CMs will be as helpful as they can be.
Requesting to use an accessible seat for a disability that would benefit from that seat and be safer for a guest would/should never come with a pecking order besides who arrived first. Service dogs have to use the wheelchair spot on the safari vehicles despite no wheelchair involved and it sometimes doubling the wait for guests in wheelchairs since there are so many dogs these days. Another example is “the box” seating at Nemo. Usually it benefits those with claustrophobia or autism but is wheelchair accessible and perfect for those with neck-mobility issues since most of the wheelchair seating requires a long period of neck contortion. The 7DMT TAV seat cycles around frequently and I’ve never had to wait on anyone to use it.

Requesting to use an accessible seat for a disability that would benefit from that seat and be safer for a guest would/should never come with a pecking order besides who arrived first. Service dogs have to use the wheelchair spot on the safari vehicles despite no wheelchair involved and it sometimes doubling the wait for guests in wheelchairs since there are so many dogs these days. Another example is “the box” seating at Nemo. Usually it benefits those with claustrophobia or autism but is wheelchair accessible and perfect for those with neck-mobility issues since most of the wheelchair seating requires a long period of neck contortion. The 7DMT TAV seat cycles around frequently and I’ve never had to wait on anyone to use it.
Would this also apply to accessible rooms? Everyone could benefit from what you mentioned above, and accessible rooms as well. It's a tough call to make - some people can only access rides at Disney by using the above, while others just benefit. I mean, we'd all benefit from having DAS access, especially those with small children, etc. But there are people who can only access attractions with DAS, and so there is a screening process to limit access to it. Perhaps there should be a screening process for accessible vehicles too?

Oh I fully agree - no one who truly needs an accessible seat should ever be denied it's use.

I was merely posting our family's experience, and what we have seen in the past, and my speculation around that.

I think that CMs are put in a tough spot when it comes to providing the access to those ride vehicles, since not everyone who needs one necessarily has a DAS, or even a visible disability.

Would this also apply to accessible rooms?
To my knowledge, anyone is allowed to book an accessible resort room. There is no documentation required. Not WDW, but I have an booked accessible room for my parents in the past because the walk-in shower was much easier for my mom to help dad.

- the ride cars or rows with door that opens wider are ADA vehicles, not wheelchair vehicles. In most cases, the boarding CM needs to unlatch something to make the side/door open wider. Those ride cars are assigned to guests every time the ride loads. The CM only opens up the ‘extra width’ when needed. Guests can and do request those ride cars for various reasons (Pooh sized and need a wider opening, extra space for decreased ability to bend)

Is there a list of attractions with ADA ride cars/vehicles that have have these wider openings and maybe photos of them as well. I did find Spaceship Earth on Google. So far I have found Spaceship Earth, 7DMT, RotR... HM, Safari, Figment, Ratatoullie...? I don't need to get on with a wheelchair but with my mobility issues and body size a wider door would be very very helpful.

Would this also apply to accessible rooms? Everyone could benefit from what you mentioned above, and accessible rooms as well. It's a tough call to make - some people can only access rides at Disney by using the above, while others just benefit. I mean, we'd all benefit from having DAS access, especially those with small children, etc. But there are people who can only access attractions with DAS, and so there is a screening process to limit access to it. Perhaps there should be a screening process for accessible vehicles too?
That is one reason that I asked here. They CM told me that the special vehicles are only for those in wheelchairs. In a way that makes sense but in a way, it doesn't. I won't have DAS. The CM didn't even know what a DAS was but I don't think I would qualify for it for any reason. I can walk, I can wait in line, and I can do steps as long as there is a railing. If not, forget it. I avoid escalators at all costs because that initial step is so hard for me to judge, the same with getting off of one. I have such a hard time trying to decide how far up or down a step is. I think the depth perception issues probably contribute a lot to my poor balance also. I know DH will help me on and off of rides as much as possible. I am just trying to be prepared and know if there are rides I should avoid before we get there. I will be skipping the Frozen ride because I don't think I will be able to get on or off of it and for sure I am skipping the RockNRollercoaster and Space Mt. I am not looking forward to all of the moving walkways either!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter