Reviews: Coral Reef, Liberty Tree Tavern, GF Garden Cafe, Castle, Norway Akerhaus

LoveMyLAP-BAND

Banded 2/18/05
Hey all. Just got back (okay, it's been a few weeks) and here are my reviews. The party included me (obsessive planner, age 38), DH37, DM66, DS9, DS5 and DD4.

We stayed at OLCC (2 bedroom timeshare with full kitchen) so we did eat a lot of meals at "home". Here are my reviews of the full service restaurants that we ate at:

Coral Reef We had reservations at 11:30 on Monday. We decided to celebrate my son's 9th birthday here. Everything started off great. We were seated immediately and right in front of the tank. I did call ahead of time to tell them of his birthday. Before the meal was served, a diver came into the tank with a sign that said "Happy 9th Birthday Jason". :bday: My son thought it was awesome. The diver also came out of the tank and met Jason and gave him the sign. The food was great. My husband said it was the best lobster soup- and the best soup- he ever had. The service was great, too- until it was time to serve the $25 birthday cake :cake: that I had ordered the week before. We were done with our meal around 12:30. By 12:45, I had to hunt down the waitress to tell her we were ready for the cake. By 1:30:furious: , the cake had still not arrived! I went to hunt her down again and just told her to pack up the cake and we would eat it at home. We did eat it at home and it was the best cake I ever had! I really don't know what grade to give the Coral Reef. Grade: It was an "A" until 12:30, then it quickly sank to an "F".

Liberty Tree Tavern We ate at the LTT before MVMCP. :santa: Our reservations were at 4:15. We were seated within 5 minutes. The food was so yummy. My son loves turkey and gravy! The waiter was great and got us everything we needed- even a disposable camera after I realized that I forgot to charge my digital camera!:eek: We met Pluto, Chip & Dale, Minnie Mouse and Goofy. The characters were great, food was very good and the service was great. Grade: A

Grand Floridian Garden Cafe This was a last minute add-on. Hubby took the kids back to the hotel and my mom and I ate here with my aunt and cousins (who live in Orlando). The food was good, atmosphere was good and the service was good. I can't say it was anything special but it was a very nice meal. Grade: B

Cinderella's Royal Table/ The Castle I woke up on the 180th day before my vacation and got exactly what I wanted. Our reservation was for noon (when they open). We checked in and then met Cinderella in the lobby. She was so nice, of course. :lovestruc Then we went upstairs to the dining room. The boys got a sword and DD got a wand. I was not particulary fond of the menu. The food was unimpressive, but did I go there for the food? NOPE! We met Fairy Godmother, Belle and Jasmine. I am giving it a grade of an A+ because it IS the Castle. It is a must-do. Even though I have given it the best grade, I would rate the food a B-. Grade: A+

Norway Akerhaus/ Princess Storybook Lunch This one was our last meal and it was just me and DD4. We arrived at 12:45 for our 1:15 reservation (just turned out that way). We didn't get seated until about 1:15. We first met Aurora in the lobby where a professional takes your picture
(not part of PhotoPass). The photo package was an 8x10 and a few 4x6s for $30! :eek: Of course, I bought it. Anyway, afterwards, we were seated and the princesses were Belle, Ariel, Jasmine and Cinderella. My DD4 was just so thrilled. The menu is not extensive but I found the food very good. First, there is a cold buffet with items such as cheese, unusual salads, breads, deli meats. For the main course, I had the pesto pasta and it was sooooo yummy. My DD4 had the pasta with sauce. It looked good and she ate it. Then there was a plate of desserts served- rice cream, chocolate mousse or something and the most delicious raspberyy cheesecake. I ate ALL the cheesecake. So, food was good, atmosphere was very good and the princesses were excellent. Grade: A

I hope you enjoyed my reviews!popcorn::

We'll be at CR for my son Jason's 9th birthday in February and I have made arrangements for the diver in the tank as well as a special menu. Since we'll be on the dining plan, we don't have to worry about any special cake for dessert (there will be plenty available from the menu).

If not for the cake incident, it sounds like you had a really nice meal. My almost 9 yo agrees with your husband that the lobster soup is the best he's ever had.

What a small world after all- a fellow NJ who is also celebrating her 9 y.o. Jason's bday at CR.

Yes, I was totally pleased with CR except for the whole cake thing. What time is your ADR for? I am thinking that since we had 11:30 ressies (when the place opened) we were fine until it got crowded at 12:30 when everyone else eats and she just got overloaded. I felt so bad about leaving only a 10% tip but I really felt that an hour to wait was uncalled for.

How disappointing about the cake! I wonder why the waitress would not just bring it out? Very frustrating for you. Thanks for the reviews!

What a small world after all- a fellow NJ who is also celebrating her 9 y.o. Jason's bday at CR.

Yes, I was totally pleased with CR except for the whole cake thing. What time is your ADR for? I am thinking that since we had 11:30 ressies (when the place opened) we were fine until it got crowded at 12:30 when everyone else eats and she just got overloaded. I felt so bad about leaving only a 10% tip but I really felt that an hour to wait was uncalled for.

We have dinner reservations on his actual birthday (2/5) and we've had dinner there before so I think we'll be fine. I always make sure we get a snack mid/late afternoon in case we have to sit and wait for a table.

So glad you enjoyed the extra birthday surprises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter