• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Review of Poly vs. Beach Club

shm_helene

Mouseketeer
Hello all! I am posting this here in case it helps anyone!

We are actually doing a split stay at these two resorts right now. Background - we were Poly people as our girls were growing up, but we tried BC two years ago and again in March. They are now 13 and 11. I will break down our thoughts for you (this is for studio rooms):

Rooms - Poly has more space (at least feels like it). The table that folds down from under the TV doesnt have a table, the table is in the corner, so it eats up less space, plus you have to clean the table off every time you use it. The bed where the couch is at Poly folds out of the wall so you don’t have to take the couch cushions off and store them. Poly also has two bathrooms, although one is a shower and sink only, no toilet. Beach Club has slightly more room in the kitchen area. I do like the hooks to hang purses, etc, at BC. The tech is upgraded at Poly. The outlets at BC suck. You can connect wirelessly from your device to tv at Poly and not at BC (at least our rooms). Storage sucks at both. Poly is our clear winner.

Food - Did QS only. I liked the options better at BC, but at Poly better value (the pulled pork had much more meat and came with fries at Poly). I give the edge to BC regardless of value, simply because of options.

Pool Area - Truthfully like Poly better, although there are lots more areas at BC. My 13 yo likes Poly better, my 11 yo BC. I like the very large DVC zero entry pool and hot tub at Poly. My 11 yo likes to jump from slide to volleyball to sandy area to waterfall at BC, but also had lots of fun in the play area.

I mean Poly with boat and monorail to MK is great. We had little wait and going through security is so fast. That being said we can be in Epcot by walking in less than 10. HS is 15-20 walking or taking boat. As the kids are older they are less into MK (😭) BC wins for locations.

Other:
Poly is currently smaller (or at least feels it) and I like all the outdoor paths and being able to watch fireworks from the beach. The shops are much bigger at Poly. The store at BC is tiny.

My overall choice is Poly, and that is the same for the rest of my family as well (I just asked!!) That being said we didn’t realize it until we did the split stay how strongly we love Poly. Given a choice I would split!

Thanks! Our kids are much younger (3 and 5) and we've done Poly several times but not yet tried BC-- good to have the frame of reference!

Going to Poly for the 1st time soon and we've been to BC once. I'm very excited to check it out and see how it matches your description!

If you liked the food better at BC, and the pool better at Poly, then I don't know what to tell you.
Very curious about this as well. I can understand why you would choose the Poly's pool since the pool at BC is not everyone's cup of tea due to its complexity/nooks for kids to get out of eyesight. However, I am curious about why you felt BC quick service food was better? The food is usually the one gripe most people have about BC.

Hmmm I would in a lot of ways agree as I personally do not care for the CS at Poly. Years ago yes…. Now everything is just not very good. Last time a had a bacon and egg sandwich it had a few literally tiny bits of bacon. I can’t stand the pulled pork they put in and on everything now. I am not saying the BC is great but I did like the few things I had there. My favorites are WL for the pulled pork it is the same served at WC -just as apples to apples there is a lot of other good things- GF everything was good and prepared well and a nice seating area. Sadly we are POLY lovers despite the hate of the CS next would be WL then BW just for the convenience and it has a great slide…… but 9 a slice or 32 a pie at the pizza window is hurtful especially when it was 18 then 21 and…. huge jump of now. Sorry had to stick that in.

Very curious about this as well. I can understand why you would choose the Poly's pool since the pool at BC is not everyone's cup of tea due to its complexity/nooks for kids to get out of eyesight. However, I am curious about why you felt BC quick service food was better? The food is usually the one gripe most people have about BC.
I agree the marketplace is not our favorite.

We all enjoy Poly but until the tower is built we will mostly be at BCV over PVB as we are a 1 bedroom family.
Also if you asks DS where he wants to stay the answer is "The one with sand in the pool" :)

Every one has different likes and dislikes so I can see how the food at BC might get the edge.

We had the chance to experience SAB in March and have to say we have no need to do it again.

But the OP is right about the pulled pork at Poly! The nachos are one of my top choices of QS meals at the resorts!!

BCV was always our favourite until we stayed at Poly. We since bought PVB points and we choose Poly almost every time. The food, the transpiration, the pools, the monorail, the large studios… it’s perfection for us!

We love BC, like Poly even better.

I’d take either in a heartbeat 😂 BC can really stretch those points. Many food options in the surrounding vicinity, SAB, EP, etc. Poly rooms are better, so is the whole resort vibe, and while the MK resort vicinity is further apart you still have easy access. Say you have dinner at Citricos it’s just a pleasant resort boat to/from your Poly room.

Beach Club has the Marketplace QS, but it also has the QS at Hurricane Hanna's in the pool area. Pre-Covid, they had a chicken sandwich that was delicious.

Every one has different likes and dislikes so I can see how the food at BC might get the edge.

We had the chance to experience SAB in March and have to say we have no need to do it again.

But the OP is right about the pulled pork at Poly! The nachos are one of my top choices of QS meals at the resorts!!
True, food is so subjective. Make a post on any board or social media about your all time favorite restaurant, the one you daydream about, and someone will be along shortly to say they wouldn't feed it to their dog :-)

And SAB is the most elaborate pool on property for sure, but has its downsides. I wouldn't assume it's automatically everyone's favorite.

First of all as the way the rooms are set up BCV should be at a full hardware rehab. Which means they will be getting the murphy beds in them. Actually Poly is a larger DVC then BCV by almost 100 rooms. Doesn't require you to go out in the elements to get a QS. BCV main pool is great if you have older kids, but if you have a real mix of ages it can be a pain. I really love both Poly and BCV. Poly studio's are bigger and I love having a shower separate from the full bathroom. I love the atmosphere of the Poly with the south pacific feel. But I also love the quietness of the BCV. I would rate them pretty even in most area's except for food options goes to BCV. Extra room and extra shower goes to Poly.

We are BCV lovers here and purchased DVC just because of BC. I love everything about that resort, the smell, the Solarium, food options, SAB. It's all perfection. Having said that, we stayed at Poly for the first time last year... oh, my... That atmosphere, the landscape, Trader Sams. We fell in love with Poly so much! I'm now waiting on more details about the tower and plan to purchase some points there. Perfect vacation for us now is a split BC/Poly. Can't choose just one.

Any suggestions for room requests at Poly? Our first stay will be in December.

Assuming studio...
If you need to do laundry during your stay, some recently pointed out to ask for Moorea. All w/d are located in this building so you wouldn't have to go outside (in case it rains).
When staying standard view, DW and I request Tokelau building because it's the closest to the GCH (lobby). Additionally, a small portion of the rooms have a slight view of the lake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter