Reverse engineering ABD Yellowstone/Wyoming

figari

Earning My Ears
We looked at doing ABD Yellowstone this July and couldn’t believe it would be $11,000 PLUS airfare for 2 people. While Yellowstone is on my bucket list, that price seems a bit… steep, as Ansel Adams would shoot.

We had the idea, what if we set up the same itinerary, same hotels, and same activities without Disney. Granted we won’t get the private museum event, but, as DVC resale buyers extoll, it’s worth the savings. Disney publishes the itinerary including hotels and activities, so we are giving it a shot.

We booked the same hotels, including Canvas Under Yellowstone and Jackson Lake Lodge. We are staying +1 day more than ABD offers. We signed up for the Hoop-Dee-Doo like dinner theater at the Bar-T 5 ranch and a Snake River boat trip. We looked at private tours at Yellowstone, but they were $1,000+ per day.

We rented the car from Costco Travel. We are flying in to Bozeman and out from Jackson. (Turns out it was cheaper to drop the car in Jackson than return it to Bozeman). We could have driven 6 hrs and dropped it at Salt Lake City to save $600 on airfare, but decided to take the extra time in Jackson.

All together, with airfare and car, our package was $8,100. ABD Wyoming with airfare would have been $13k. So we are saving ~$5k ignoring meals, giving up the ease of a tour guide, but gaining a car and flexibility.

Does anyone who’s been on the Yellowstone/Wyoming ABD have any recommendations on what to do/skip?

Well, all I can do is tell you our experience.

Jackson Lake Lodge: Ultra bucket list views, with a couple of restaurants and bar/grills that you can dine while seeing it all. We didn't regret the expense, not a bit. There will come a time you won't be able to go, no matter how much money you have. Watch the sunset over the Tetons.

Yellowstone: Again ultra bucket list experience. IMO, you don't need a guided tour, just spend some time planning. If you're a DIS pro, you already know how it's done. Don't miss the Upper Geyser Basin, which is where Old Faithful is located. You'll need several hours to do it right. Also the Mammoth Hot Springs area is memorable.

Yellowstone Falls: This is where the kind of picture that used to be on the cover of National Geographic was taken. If you're in any kind of shape (WDW hikers should be) spend some time hiking to the overlooks on both sides of the falls.

If you happen to be near Old Faithful Inn around dinner, the bison chili is to die for. Even if you don't eat there, the main lobby there is epic. It's the model that WDW's Wilderness Lodge used.

Take LOTS of pics and videos. I promise, you'll be looking at them the rest of your life.

I haven't been on the ABD, but I have been to Yellowstone...

Yellowstone is a lot of driving... which I was surprised by the first time. It is of course very big, and traffic can crawl. I imagine you're good about taking turns as the person driving won't be able to look out the window as much? As you're staying outside the park I recommend trying to enter earlier in the day if that is an option as the lineup to get in can get very long, as can the traffic jams from folks pulling over in a hurry to oggle wildlife or due to bison jams where they block the road. Old Faithful is a must, as is the Midway Geyser Basin. Artist Point at the Canyon is beautiful as well, and I have a special fondness for Mammoth Hot Springs as its one of the areas my brother worked at for a summer, and it reminds me of Big Thunder Mountain. There is way more too.. I've only been twice and didn't give myself enough time on either trip so gee darn, some day I'll go back a third time. :)

I’ve been to YS 3 times in the last few years. Agree you will be doing a LOT of driving. That’s one of the reasons I liked the wildlife tour we did. Someone else spent the day driving us around. And we learned so much about the park, animals, insider tips, etc. He had scopes and binoculars for everyone and was in constant contact with other guides and enthusiasts to know where the best viewing was.

I know you’re copying ABD but it would be worth it, to me, to spend at least one night in the park. It will cut hours off your drive time. Here’s a good link to estimated drive times in the park. Drive times are much slower than expected for the distances traveled. You do NOT want to drive once it’s dusk. Too many animals on the road make it unsafe.

https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/content/uploads/2017/04/Park-Map-with-mileage.pdf

Consider a night or 2 at Old Faithful Inn, which is gorgeous and defined “national park” architecture. I’ve not stayed at Lake Lodge yet, but keep hearing it’s the best views and best food. If you consider this, book only thru Xanterra, the official concessionaire. Other companies will charge you a booking fee.

I have never been on an ABD tour, but we went to Yellowstone and the Tetons last summer so your title caught my eye.

We didn’t do any guided tours; I just did a lot of research and planning on my own to help us know what we should visit while there. My best tip would be to buy the Gypsy app, now called GuideAlong. That is like having your own personal tour guide right in the car with you.

Both national parks are absolutely beautiful. We cannot wait to return! Plan on long days in the parks - there is so much to see and do. Pack your food so you can stop and eat anywhere while touring the parks. In the Tetons we ate at Leek’s Marina - very good pizza and beautiful views.

If you can stay inside the parks - especially Yellowstone - I’d encourage you to do so. We stayed at both Canyon Lodge and Old Faithful Inn and exploring the parks after everyone has left is the best. If you don’t stay inside the parks, be sure to check out the lobby at Old Faithful (it’s just incredible!) and take the tour if you have time.

Visit Artist’s Point in Yellowstone - really the whole Yellowstone Canyon area - and hike to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point in the Tetons. Those were my families favorite things! Have a great time!

Last edited:
Yes, we packed a soft side cooler, hit the grocery store in our way into the park, and ate lunch and breakfast from that. Food is few and far between and I didn’t want to plan to be somewhere with food at specific times. Much nicer to pull into a picnic spot or pull out and enjoy the view with a picnic lunch!

I haven't done the ABD but have spent 2 weeks in that area.

Must see areas:
  • Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
  • Mud Volcano
  • Norris Basin
  • Mammoth Springs
  • Firehole Lake Dr.
  • Grand Prismatic Spring
  • Old Faithful Area
  • West Thumb
  • Hidden falls
  • Inspiration Point
  • Signal Mountain
  • Snake River Overlook
  • Teton Village Cable Car
For longer hikes:
  • Death Canyon
  • Cascade Canyon
  • Fairy Falls and Imperial Geyser
  • Red Rocks Lookout
  • Avalanche Peak
The Snake River boat trip is a good idea. I did whitewater rafting on the Yellowstone river out of Gardiner, which has rapids but not as great views. The only standout food I had was Firehole BBQ in West Yellowstone. The restaurants at the park lodges are fine but nothing special.

The great thing about this trip is that anywhere in the two national parks is beautiful, and if there's a parking lot then chances are there's something worth looking at. You can do half this list and still have an amazing trip.

I would add Biscuit Basin and Mystic Falls (you go thru the first to get to the second.)

Grand Prismatic overlook is beautiful, but I was less impressed with Fairy Falls, predominantly because it was FULL of people. Imperial geyser was great and we had it to ourselves but if you go, consider back tracking thru Fairy Falls instead of doing the loop. It was a slog and easily our least favorite hike of the trip.

My favorite hikes in YS have been the YS picnic trail (a very short steep section (my 78yo dad did it so not too bad) followed by a flat trek along a ridge line next to the canyon with views for miles) and the south rim/Wapiti Lake loop which is a little taste of everything- canyon, forest, lake, geothermal area, and grassland.

Grand Prismatic overlook is beautiful, but I was less impressed with Fairy Falls, predominantly because it was FULL of people. Imperial geyser was great and we had it to ourselves but if you go, consider back tracking thru Fairy Falls instead of doing the loop. It was a slog and easily our least favorite hike of the trip.
We did the hike to the falls first, so we pretty much had it to ourselves. On the way back, we stopped at the overlook, but still had to wait an hour or so for the mist and fog to lift. One other thing, the parking lot for this trail fills quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter