• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

REVAMP of Whispering Canyon Cafe BEGINS

We ate at WCC once for dinner in the last year, Rusty.

The antics were low key when we were there. Then again, it wasn't crowded the night we were there.

Sadly, WDW managers will chase a dollar whether it's room profitability or dining profit margin. It's how they are measured, evaluated, and rewarded.

I'll be interested to see what changes.

Bama Ed

In 1997, our favorite character breakfast was the Pocahontas character breakfast at AP. It’s strange to be hearing that after all these years they are considering bringing one back.

But the WCC changes are simply awful. Good thing we gave up eating at most WDW restaurants a few years after the dining plan started (cost and reservation difficulties make it not worth it when you are staying at your Dad’s house and not onsite), otherwise we would be majorly bummed as this was one of my Dad’s favorite meals back in the day.

Would like to know also the best person to email, as our kids loved the antics, and had recommended it to many others, and have friends going this fall that will cancel after they hear this. They should hear that many enjoyed it, and they will lose business as this made it unique, and a reason to make the trip over to WL. There should be an option to choose not to participate, which could easily be accomodated, but changing it completely makes no sense.
Someone shouldn't have to opt out of insinuations that there is incest going on in your house. it should be pretty obvious that stuff like that is off limits.

My son was mortified. I wasn't very happy either.

I’m excited about the prospect of a new WL restaurant! It’s our favorite resort (so far) and Whispering Canyon wasn’t of much interest to us. It is sad to see that the fun aspect may be disappearing but perhaps something better will be put in its place.

I had read way back that Disney included a smokehouse in the original resort plans as part of the theme—settlers of the Northwest smoked meat and fish in their lumber-rich environment to preserve it.

Its TS restaurants (AP and WCC) have always featured food from the resort’s smokehouse. The scent from the smoking has always been a big part of the WL’s atmosphere.

This makes me so sad!! Some of our favorite memories are from the antics at WCC. My boys love it and still ask for it on each and every trip. The food isn't my favorite but the fun more than makes up for it.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm happy by this. The menu (especially the skillet) looks awesome. We have never gone though because we didn't want to deal with the antics. I just want to go to my meal and eat (and meet characters if we choose that). I know that they supposedly had something you could say you didn't want to participate in the antics, but I've also read that sometimes they still did it.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm happy by this. The menu (especially the skillet) looks awesome. We have never gone though because we didn't want to deal with the antics. I just want to go to my meal and eat (and meet characters if we choose that). I know that they supposedly had something you could say you didn't want to participate in the antics, but I've also read that sometimes they still did it.

You realize that the skillet will probably be gone with the revamp, right? The entire menu will probably change.

Doesn't sound like this is a simple "do away with the antics and keep everything else the same" plan.

That's too bad. My son is sensitive to yelling and different noises so we have never gone, but we have friends who really enjoy it there. Hopefully it won't be too much change.

You realize that the skillet will probably be gone with the revamp, right? The entire menu will probably change.

Doesn't sound like this is a simple "do away with the antics and keep everything else the same" plan.

Yes, I realize that. Just pointing out that some people don't go because of the antics. Although, some people go just for them. I personally would've gone if not for them, but my once every 2 years visit isn't going to make or break the place. Even if they change the menu, they may get more people than if they kept the antics. Or they may not. Only time will tell. They obviously feel that the antics and/or menu isn't working.

This is so unfortunate! I was planning on visiting WCC and AP during my December trip. If the antics are gone at WCC and AP quality declines, I will have no reason to visit the WL if I am not staying there.

While some did not like the WCC antics, it was my understanding you could tell the staff that you did not want to participate and they would exclude you. Not really fair to remove the antics for all if some did not like it. I personally found it hysterical to get a "FP+" for the restroom with a gigantic mason jar soda and see my server dancing around in a ketchup costume! Now WCC will be a generic resort TS I do not need to visit. @TheRustyScupper hit the nail on the head that WL is out of the way and has awkward meal times for WCC to be utilized to its fullest. Its much easier to escape from MK on the monorail for an ADR than to WL. I am sure cutting WL in half for villas where people can cook will also help increase ADR attendance :confused:

AP was also delicious and it is sad to hear the quality is declining. I was going to travel from the GF since we really enjoy it so much, but I will have to play it by ear and may have to swap for Citricos.

Poor WL. A once beautiful place with delicious offerings is ruining its TS meals, was stripped of good QS with the RF refurb, and added GP which I tried as soon as it opened (while RF was under refurb) and did not like at all.

WCC is not my favorite but I hate to see the unique dining experiences go away. Hopefully the new direction will be unique also. We met Pooh and friends at AP breakfast 20 years ago on our honeymoon. I look forward to hearing more about the new character breakfast.

We’ve had a number of great meals at WCC over the years ... even our Bavkstage Magic Tour lunch stop was there a number of years back ... the most recent being breakfast after the 2018 Star Wars Dark Side 5K. Food’s always been good to great and, in our experience, the antics have always matched the mood and makeup of our party and never gone over the line. Disappointing that it appears bug changes are in the works.

Have never eaten at AP, so can’t really comment, but the right kind of characters (e.g. ones that fit the WL theming) could result in a popular breakfast experience.

Someone shouldn't have to opt out of insinuations that there is incest going on in your house. it should be pretty obvious that stuff like that is off limits.

??? I am sorry, may have missed something, but I was referring to ketchup/straws/napkins/etc that some of us enjoy, but others might not want to participate in during their meal.

If this happened to you, you definitely should have complained and I'm pretty sure that isn't part of the regular performance at WCC???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter