Returning to WDW- should I get or decline additional Magic Band?

DisErikColorado

Earning My Ears
Hi,

Recent Disney fan- returning for a second on-site trip. I still have my magic band from my first trip. What are the reasons to get or decline the magic band that Disney is offering me as part of this new trip? Any issues with having multiple bands? Can you use different bands on the same trip? Anything else I should know about this? If there are existing threads about this, my apologies and please just direct me. Thanks!

Hi,

Recent Disney fan- returning for a second on-site trip. I still have my magic band from my first trip. What are the reasons to get or decline the magic band that Disney is offering me as part of this new trip? Any issues with having multiple bands? Can you use different bands on the same trip? Anything else I should know about this? If there are existing threads about this, my apologies and please just direct me. Thanks!

Take the new MB.
You can have as many as you like.
They will all work, interchangeably.
Also, if you lose one, you'll already have a replacement.

The MBs likely cost Disney about a buck or two, so just don't worry about it.

Get a new one and still take your old one. As long as they're still tied to your account, you can use your old one as well.

We have about 30 Magic Bands at home already, and with a split stay coming up in a couple of weeks, we only ordered MB's for the 1st portion (mostly because YDD and myself wanted purple ones) and then declined them for the 2nd part. Just too many bands!!

I thought I read that the chips get weaker over time

Not the chip that counts.

Each MB has TWO kinds of RFID chips.
One uses a battery (which can eventually die) but that part of the MB does not affect the "important" uses at WDW.

The NON-battery powered chip will last virtually "forever" and its function are to:
Allow Park entry
Allow FP+ entry
Open the resort doors
Allow charging privileges
And, any other function that requires the MB to be scanned by touching it.

I thought I read that the chips get weaker over time
The passive RFID chip that is used for most day to day functions draws power from the touch points. This would be for park entry, FP+ queue entry, room entry, room charging, etc. Basically, any function where you need to essentially touch the band/card to the reader uses the passive chip.

There is also a battery powered long range transmitter that's used to automatically link attraction photos, interactive queue elements (if they ever enable them), and possibly crowd tracking. The passive RFID chip will continue to function long after the battery has died.

The new bands they're sending out now are noticeably lighter and more comfortable. And of course, you can get a purple one!

On my last trip in January I didn't get a new one because I had all the colors I wanted. This trip came just as they announced the new purple MB, so I ordered us new ones. I was way too excited about getting a purple MB, lol.

Up to you. Want a different color?

There should be no issues whatsoever with using two magic bands.

I have 38. I am supposed to keep most of those deactivated, but I have about 10 active at any time and unless there's a glitch I can use any of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter