• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Returned from POR Saturday (long)!

WDWorld2003

DIS Veteran
We returned from our 2nd trip to WDW (1st was in 1994) on Sat. - 1st time on site (we will never stay offsite again! Thanks to all of you on the boards our trip was wonderful! Voted in the top 3 of our vacations. I think we're going back next year!

POR has beautiful grounds!!!! I cannot say enough about them. We loved our walks around the property - the rabbits, ducks and geckos were so fun to see. Also, the flowering bushes (what are they?) had the most wonderful smell. The river running through the property was very pretty - loved the gazebo and benches all over. Our room was in AB Bldg. 14 on 2nd floor as requested. Nice and close to the bus stop, food court and a nice quiet pool. We were not bothered by noise from others other than the occasional rolling suitcase or those getting up early. Just normal hotel noise.

The rooms definitely need upgrading. Our carpet was stained and the bathroom (I've read this before) had mold on the walls and ceiling (maybe it's the same room). Complaining would take time from the parks so I just cleaned what I could and lived with it (I will mention it if I receive a survey though). Also, the corners in the bathroom could use a good scrubbing with a toothbrush - 10 more minutes of cleaning would do it! I would think supervisors would check the room more thoroughly. Those corners had been dirty a long time! We didn't get towel animals so I left a note for our housekeeper and we did get a couple that night and she also fanned our wash clothes every day after that - very cute.

Also, our last night we stayed at Epcot very late and when we returned our room was not clean. We had told our maid (a different one than our usual) our kids were sleeping in that morning and could she clean it later - however, she never came back :( . We called the front desk and they brought towels, clean glasses, etc. It was after 11:30 pm so we didn't want them to clean it. We made our own beds and did a better job - this was the first night our sheets didn't come untucked :D

We used the main pool only one evening as we were so busy during the day and most nights were quite chilly. It is very nice with a large slide and greenery everywhere.

We loved the refillable mugs and food court - ate breakfast there almost every morning. It was good and quick. They throw away a lot of plastic though!

We also rented a refrigerator - the 1st one they brought us was missing the side bars for putting milk, etc. so we had to call for another - it came fairly quickly but couldn't believe that for what they charge per night ($10.65) for one that the first one wouldn't be in good working order. Not sure we would rent a refrig. again either - It cost over $90.00 and we bought $70.00 in groceries - for $170.00 we probably could have purchased most of it in the food court.

The big difference we noticed in staying on site was the bus service :). We never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. Our last day we actually had the bus to ourselves to Epcot and back! The only time we waited was after Spectro at MK (over 45 minutes!) but we talked to people in line so the time passed quickly.

We did rent a car and used it for short trips to the grocery store, Sea World, Typhoon Lagoon. However, our car was hit in the parking lot at POR (hit and run) so in the end it will probably cost over $1,000 after deductibles - oh well! (couldn't believe the 25% tax at the airport for car rentals!) Not sure we'll rent again but did love the convenience for a couple of things.....

We took the boat to downtown Disney one evening - nice and relaxing. We didn't rent any boats or bikes but many people were enjoying them and looked like they were having a great time. Saw Bob the piano player a couple of nights - what a hoot! Really enjoyed how he got the crowd going. We only spent a few minutes so didn't get to participate but would love to see him again.

The Fulton's general gift store was great! We bought many souvenirs there and spent time almost every night after the parks just browsing. Our teen DD's enjoyed the Arcade and spent a few $$$ on games.

All in all, we really loved our stay here and would return. We did go over to POFQ the last day to look around but preferred the grounds and food court at POR - the Mardi Gras theme did not appeal to us but to each his own. We loved the whole Disney atmosphere at the resort and grew attached to POR after 8 nights. We also ate at many restaurants so I'll try to do a restaurant review later.

If anyone has ?'s I didn't cover here I'd be happy to answer them!

Ahhh - Port Orleans Riverside!!! I can't wait to go "home" on May 14th. Thanks, WDWorld2003, for reminding me of all the things there I love. By the way, we've never had a nasty bathroom over in the mansions of Parterre Place. I guess requesting a convenient room close to the main building also may mean you get a room that has been and feels more "used".

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I have a question. We are some of the FQ guests that have to be relocated. The only other moderate that looks good to us is the AB section of Riverside. Can we ask to be guaranteed rooms in this section or do we have to make it just a request? We wouldn't even mind being put in the buildings that are way in the back. We really don't want to stay in the mansions. Thanks

skporter - we may consider the mansions next time but really loved the AB landscaping!

DisneyFreaks - we did make our requests when we made the reservation but the front desk didn't seem to know about our requests when we checked in. We still got what we wanted. You may want to call or Fax a few days ahead of time..... from what I've read there are no guarantees. You will love the resort though - very peaceful (wish we were still there!).

Glad to hear you had a great trip. POR is like our 2nd summer home, as you can see below.

How did the pool look ?

kinggoofy - The pool looked great to us but we had never seen it before rehab. I believe I heard they removed a bridge. It looked clean and fresh. The temps were too cold in the evening for us to use the pool - 40's and 50's - felt like Minnesota!!!! Most of our trip was in the upper 70's and 80's during the day - however, Sunday & Monday we had on several layers - highs only in the upper 50's with rain and wind!!!!

I took quite a few pictures of POR last month. You can find them HERE.

I've always liked the pool at Old Man Island. :)

http://www.***********.com/ceed0e00.jpg

http://www.***********.com/cf0d0240.jpg

Sounds like you had the same room as us, you listed the same complaints. Was the molding near the ceiling coming away from the wall over one of the beds? I agree, it wasn't bad enough to waste valuable time complaining. I did receive a survey postcard when we returned home and I did let them know then. The year before we stayed in 15 and had none of those problems so I know it's not across the board. We love POR and it certainly won't stop us from staying there again (and again and again) ~:D~

We were in AB 1459 (was this the same room you had?) The molding was not coming down from the ceiling but the room definitely looked tired. I was just surprised at the lack of cleanliness in the bathroom - it would take less than 15 minutes to wipe down the walls and scrub the corners with the proper cleaning supplies....I did what I could with a few napkins. I've stayed in many hotels for less $$ and the bathrooms were much cleaner! Since this was our first time on property we were surprised by the lack of cleanliness, especially where it is so noticeable in a small bathroom. We still had a great time and loved the resort.... just disappointed. The bathrooms in the food court were very clean - should be standard across the board.

I think we were in AB 1449. I agree with you, we didn't let it ruin any of our "Magic" but I did let them know that it was disheartening to know we paid that much money for a room that should have been cleaner. Like I said earlier, we had a very clean room in 15 the year before, so don't everybody freak and start cancelling your POR ressies. ~:D~

SuzyQue,

How did you like building 15? I've heard it faces the parking lot, and to request 14 or 18 instead. We want to be in AB and near the food court, so those would seem to be our choices. But if the scenery is still nice, and we're still close to the food court, 15 may have the nicer rooms if it's had less traffic than the other 2.

We were in AB 1560, 2nd floor, corner room, courtyard view and it was just beautiful. We didn't ask for courtyard view but were glad we got it, same charge as standard view. Even some of the rooms in 14 have a parking lot view. Last I heard, 18 was a smoking optional Bldg. I agree with the less traffic theory, 14 is the most popular Bldg., hopefully it will be one of the buildings at POR getting refurbished!! ~:D~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter