Retheme Splash Mountain?

Should Splash Mountain be re-themed?

• Keep the rabbit - a classic!

• Bring on the Frog!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Contemporaneously written films, books etc., represent the societal norms of their time. Isn’t washing away how some film makers, authors etc., writing in the aftermath of the abolition slavery, trivialised or sought to diminish slavery, as bad as washing away the history of slavery and the fight for its abolition? It reflects society at a particular time in history and it is an integral part of our history. If it causes even one child to ask questions and learn about slavery, apartheid and the ongoing battle for equality, isn’t that is a good thing? Likewise with the POC scene: the fact is that historically ships and women were considered the chattel’s of men. Indeed, in relatively recent history the Admiralty and Family Courts in England and Wales, were as one and shared the same Judges and many still refer to ships as ‘she’.Ships still have God parents! Let us not forget that slavery and piracy still exist and that many sections of society are still fighting for equal rights.
What I am not sure about, is how you balance this with the feelings of the descendants of former slaves (and perhaps remorseful and ashamed descendants of slave owners) or whether it has a place in a theme park. Maybe WDW should have, if they don’t already, a museum documenting how rides reflected the norms of certain sections of society through the ages and how these have changed over time and scenes and figures etc., from certain rides should feature in the museum.
I apologise if this post offends anyone. It is very difficult to express views at the moment, because of the fear of inadvertently or carelessly saying the wrong thing.

Last edited:
If the ride included an audio-animatronic Uncle Remus explaining why slavery is really not that bad, I would say yes, change it. But it doesn't. It's an animatronic bunny escaping from an animatronic fox with no social commentary at all. Anyone who demands that Splash be re-themed because they see it as somehow sympathetic towards slavery should probably, to be consistent, also demand that POTC be changed due to its sympathetic attitude towards piracy. I would say leave Splash alone.

This was my initial reaction, then I realized it sounds an awful lot like "It's just a flag, a part of history. It is no longer racist, just a part of southern culture" and I changed my opinion.

There was a fascinating "season" of the podcast You Must Remember This? about the movie and its aftermath. As someone who saw it in the theater and loves the ride, there was a lot I didn't know about the movie (and this is taken from several sources, not just the podcast). While its tricky to retroactively apply current morals and ideologies to past behavior, there is ample evidence that Song of the South was considered retrograde at the time it was released. Several organizations denigrated it and even Walt Disney moved its premiere from either Hollywood or New York to Atlanta, in a segregated theater (James Baskett, who played Uncle Remus, couldn't attend). Also Disney left after giving opening remarks and didn't watch it. If I recall correctly, they had filmed it about two years before it was finally released and the idea was that they wanted to let some of the controversy that accompanied its making to die down.

Having ridden on Splash Mountain since I've become attuned to the source's problematic material, it is hard to find any overt references to the racist parts of the movie. But even a song like "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" has controversial origins. None of these things are overt, but they aren't that hard to find either (a Google search of the song brings up almost immediately its basis on a song called "Zip Coon". It may or may not be based on it, but its one of the first things you find when you dig into it).

Personally, I think a re-theme would be a great idea, primarily because I love Princess and the Frog!

This was my initial reaction, then I realized it sounds an awful lot like "It's just a flag, a part of history. It is no longer racist, just a part of southern culture" and I changed my opinion.
I’m not entirely sure that the parallel with the Confederate Flag entirely holds up. The Confederate Flag symbolizes white supremacy and slavery whereas Brer Rabbit is an animatronic bunny singing a song. The question is, where to draw the line? Bugs Bunny has appeared in some horribly outdated, racist cartoons, but he’s also a main character in Roger Rabbit. So should the Roger Rabbit ride in Disneyland be shut down or rethemed? And should anyone who objected to that be compared to those who defend the Confederate Flag?

I love the ride itself and wouldn’t mind a theme change, but does Princess and the Frog fit with Frontierland? What other ways could they do it? Do they change the whole land? Just some random thoughts.
PATF certainly fits the water aspect. Could change scene fairly easily but yeah how does it work on a grander scale. I think a new original story may work best if they do it.

I love the ride itself and wouldn’t mind a theme change, but does Princess and the Frog fit with Frontierland? What other ways could they do it? Do they change the whole land? Just some random thoughts.
A good point there. Most of us Disney fans know that the reason the hidden tunnels in the Magic Kingdom exist is because Walt Disney was horrified to see a cowboy walking through Tomorrowland, as it ruined the theming concept. I suspect he might have had a similar reaction to a princess hanging out in Frontierland.

I don't actually have a problem with the ride in its current form since I think it pretty much avoids the heinously racist stuff in the movie. Tbh I find POR's continued theme way more objectionable and refuse to stay there for that reason. But I don't speak for anyone but myself and I know other black Disney fans have different feelings on it. I would be totally cool with re-theming the ride but I feel weird about just throwing PatF in there. Idk, I just feel like Tiana deserves an original attraction of her own.

Splash Mountain isn't in Frontierland in DL. It sits between the Haunted Mansion and Winnie the Pooh. This was originally the home for the Country Bears (RIP). I think most people just see this as the entry for SW:GE now though. IMHO, and it's not just me, Pooh doesn't belong here; it should be in Fantasyland. If you re-themed it for P&tF it would fit perfectly next to the haunted mansion. The tie-in to "Bear Country" would be a tougher sell.

I don't actually have a problem with the ride in its current form since I think it pretty much avoids the heinously racist stuff in the movie. Tbh I find POR's continued theme way more objectionable and refuse to stay there for that reason. But I don't speak for anyone but myself and I know other black Disney fans have different feelings on it. I would be totally cool with re-theming the ride but I feel weird about just throwing PatF in there. Idk, I just feel like Tiana deserves an original attraction of her own.
I get your feelings about POR and I think this deserves it's own thread. I personally think POR is beautiful, but I'm white, from CA and don't associate it with the history of the deep south. Maybe I should. Can you theme anything to the deep south and have it NOT be symbolic of slavery? I can't be the judge of that.

I think PATF would be a great overlay. I like more Disney IP in the rides and with Disney purposefully distancing itself from Song of the South, this would be a good fit. I also think Disney could do amazing things with the update.

My only concern is Splash Mountain being closed for a long period of time.

I agree with this, you can spend your whole life looking for something to be offended by. Unfortunately we seem to be told daily by some social media that we need to be offended by something. Cancel culture is not the way to address any of the real issues. Let's enjoy the ride for the fox/rabbit/sing along song for what it is, a ride that everyone can enjoy and get really wet! :flower1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter