Restricted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've taken a small travel size spray bottle of lysol. Not sure about a full sized spray can.

Wipes would not be as good because I want to use the spray on toilet seats. You can get monkey pox from toilet seats and although the chances are slim, it is a disease I would prefer my family have no chance of getting. Now over 1000 cases in Georgia!

Lysol wipes are designed for surfaces, not hands, so they should be just as effective as the spray. I can't imagine security being OK with a can of Lysol. You could also bring your own disposable toilet seat covers. If you're concerned about having your hand close to the toilet seat while wiping it, bring gloves.

I can and honestly didn't thinkabout allergic reactions. Sorry. I don't usually relish putting my hand that close to a public toilet. Squeamish

I can and honestly didn't thinkabout allergic reactions. Sorry. I don't usually relish putting my hand that close to a public toilet. Squeamish
The wipe will be between your hand and the seat. use 2 if it helps you feel better. Plus bring disposable gloves. Seems like it's much more portable and easier all the way around.

Can you take spray lysol into the parks?

The problem with disinfectants and public facilities is contact time or how long a disinfectant needs to stay on a wet surface in order to be effective.

Per EPA, Lysol Spray contact time is 10 minutes.

Here’s an EPA registered wipe that has a 1 minute contact time for Tier 1 viruses (Monkey Pox, SARS-CoV-2):

Diversey - Oxivir 1 Ready-To-Use Disinfectant Cleaning Wipes 100850923 - 6" x 7" Size - 160 Count (Pack of 1 Canister) https://a.co/d/7z88te4

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/disinfectants-emerging-viral-pathogens-evps-list-q

Last edited:
You might want to read the disinfecting instructions on the can. You need to cover the area with mist. Then it has to remain wet for 3 minutes (spray some more if it dries too fast) and then allow to air dry. That's a long time to spend in a bathroom stall.

You had me worried there for a minute about catching Monkey pox via a toilet seat. Then I realized I'd been vaccinated against smallpox when I was five and that immunity lasts a lifetime. Whew! (Monkey pox and smallpox come from the same family).

I also recommend wipes, although the spray won't kill anything unless it's left wet for some minutes. I think the wipes have to be left wet as well.

Maybe this will make you feel better about using public toilets, though. (Bolding added by me)

"Even if you're living with a person infected with monkeypox, your risk of catching the disease is surprisingly low, says biologist Joseph Osmundson. Preliminary data, with a small number of cases, found that the chance of spreading monkeypox to a household member, not through sex, is only about 0.6%.

"I think that percentage may be a little low and will rise as we get more data," says Osmundson. "But household transmission rates for this strain in endemic countries [that is, countries where the virus is entrenched] ] is still only around 3%. And we're talking about sharing a bathroom with a person who's known to be infected in your home.""

News Article

you need a contact time for that to be effective and even then the lysol won't dry off quickly so you'll still be wiping the seat and presumably not sitting in the lysol residue

just do like a normal woman and either perfect the squatting technique or put down a layer of tp around the toilet seat

To help assuage your concerns, I would suggest seeking out a reputable news source for valid information about the disease. NBC News has a very good article on the latest research, none of which indicates contact with toilet seats as a means of transmission. Enjoy your trip.
Agreed!! I posted an NPR news article.
just do like a normal woman and either perfect the squatting technique or put down a layer of tp around the toilet seat
I'm wondering if she may be concerned for her children touching the seat? Their legs wouldn't be long enough to squat. However, I'm betting disposable travel toilet seat covers can probably be found on Amazon if Pat's really worried about it.

Thread has moved far from original question of Lysol spray being allowed into parks and veering into similar discussions that were not allowed re: Covid.

Original question has been answered. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter