Restraints on Flyers dinosaur ride

joe

Mouseketeer
My son is 2 and makes the height requirement but I really want to find out what the restraints are like since he will have to ride in his own seat.

Thanks

I personally would think twice about putting a two year old on this ride. If he starts to freak out, there would be absolutely nothing you could do to comfort him.

DH and I rode it in March. Jim's DW had told me that they let adults on without children first thing in the morning. The ride was much scarier than I thought. :eek: Maybe it was our weight, but it seemed to go too fast and really swung out around corners! :eek: :eek: I was very thankful it was a short ride, because I was getting very nervous. DH rode behind me and had to give me a pep talk to keep relatively composed. ;)

No one else has made negative comments about it, so maybe it was just me??? But it is awfully high up and you are dangling there... To be honest, I will never ride it again and rate it the same as Hulk-NFD (not for Donna) :D

Aloha.

since i am 6'4" i have not been on this ride. i believe that there is a slide down bar such as seen on some playground swings. i do not remember a seat belt.
donna is right, from the ground the swings around the corners do tend to throw you out to the side, i think that is the thrill for the over 54" crowd.

There is a seatbelt in this ride, and a pull down bar...but I'll let you know that I was scared!!! The ride goes very fast, and swings far out. I had sent my 5 year old and his brother on the "car" ahead of us, and was so nervous for them! I thought the ride was as scary as any rollercoaster....and I felt very unsecure. Don't get me wrong...it was fun...it was a thrill...but I do not recommend you put your 2 year old on at all!

I've been to IOA several times and have never experienced this ride. I wonder why the height restriction is only 36" if the ride is so intense and the restraints are not that secure. Kids that are 36" are about2-3 years old and like to pry themselves from any restraint. It seems strange that the restraints are not too great, if that is indeed the case. My concern is only safety because he has ridden about 8 rollercoasters this summer. He is a born rider.

BTW, the ride technically IS a rollercoaster.

I've ridden this ride many times and yes, there is nothing scarier than IOA than P-flyers in the rain!

There are a number of safety devices used on the ride:

1) Seat Belt. Everyone who rides this ride is required to use the seat belt. This seat belt is locked in and CAN NOT be released by the rider. The locking mechanism is electric and can only be released using the bus bar in the load station.

2) A pull-down lap bar. This is similar to the lap bars that are used on swing rides at many other theme parks and carnivals. It doesn't lock, but rather slides down the supports for the seat and is used as a secondary safety measure.

3) Finally, a second seat belt for small children. For added safety, a second seat belt is used for smaller children. This seat belt basically wraps around one of the child's thighs. Trust me, with this seat belt in place (plus the other 2 safety devices listed above), there is no way for ANYONE to get out of that seat during the ride.

Again, although somewhat frightening given the ride's height and speed, it is VERY VERY safe for anyone meeting the minimum height requirement.

If I show up bright and early there is a chance I can ride P-Flyers?

Thank you, CoasterFEV. I will have to take a look next time and see the ride in action for myself.

Mahalo CoasterFEV,
You know what I was thinking while riding and what was freaking me out??? I was remembering reading Earl here where he said that most of the rides are made for a specific rider (when he was explaining why small children may not be safe on some of the rides designed for adults). It kept going through my mind that this ride was designed for children and probaly it is not safe for two adults to be riding...I was sure we were going to fly off on the corners :eek: . I was also considering how young the ride operators were and that they probably were more concerned being nice to us and allowing us to ride instead of telling us we were too big and the ride couldn't handle it! LOL I honestly felt less secure on PF than on the Hulk! Like I said, never again, it is a NFD ride and that is that. ;)

i did put my 2 yr old on this ride not really knowing what it did or what it was like. I was in front and my 14 yr old was in the seat in back of him, I was scared to death for him , i screamed hold on but he was laughing so hard and loved it!!, and wanted to do it again. look at the ride good and decide what your child would like, it maybe too much for them.
mrsmom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter