Restaurants Full

My family is traveling from September 25 to October 3. A lot of the restaurants that we would like to go to seem to be full. I don't mean on just one day or for one meal. I mean completely! And ones that I have never seen full like Sci-Fi Diner. I have tried different days, times, and number in the party. Nothing. Am I missing something?

I'm late to the party, but you're less than 21 days out from your trip and reservations open at 180+10 days...they're full as normal. All the themed ones, character ones and most signatures will likely be booked inside 60 days. BoG, CRT and some others book up at 150-180 days prior.

It's not a scarcity or availability issue. There's 80,000+ guests per day in Disney parks, all needing somewhere to eat and their option to make reservations opens up six months ahead of time. Even double booking and hoarding isn't to blame, but you will find openings over the next days before your trip as double bookers begin to cancel. Just keep checking. I always book ahead, but always found openings the weeks and days before in the event we wanted to change for virtually everywhere except CRT, V&A and BoG

Last edited:
I'm late to the party, but you're less than 21 days out from your trip and reservations open at 180+10 days...they're full as normal. All the themed ones, character ones and most signatures will likely be booked inside 60 days. BoG, CRT and some others book up at 150-180 days prior.

It's not a scarcity or availability issue. There's 80,000+ guests per day in Disney parks, all needing somewhere to eat and their option to make reservations opens up six months ahead of time. Even double booking and hoarding isn't to blame, but you will find openings over the next days before your trip as double bookers begin to cancel. Just keep checking. I always book ahead, but always found openings the weeks and days before in the event we wanted to change for virtually everywhere except CRT, V&A and BoG

I would think that double booking and hoarding during free dining has a lot to do with it, too. No flames...I just decided to make a guess and ask this. It's really kind of a question.

i think it's because of free dining

also because recession is over and more people are travelling and spending

could be people are booking reservations because they know which park they'll be in because FP+ made them commit

seriously though it's because of free dining

I agree. I think that people are just getting smart about free dining and making ADR's. This year there seemed to be way more threads and comments about people making reservations and ADR's without really knowing if they were even going during free dining. I know they have done that in the past. But this year it seemed very more than usual. I have been trying since 180 + 10 to get a number of reservations for our trip that is coming up in a couple weeks. I did find acceptable alternatives. But I have been going to WDW multiple times for over 20 years and have never had quite the trouble I had this year. But I still do not think it is anything other than free dining and people are getting smart about getting their ADR's ahead. There may be some hoarding going on. But I don't think it is the major problem. People are just getting more educated about going to Disney.

I would think that double booking and hoarding during free dining has a lot to do with it, too. No flames...I just decided to make a guess and ask this. It's really kind of a question.

I would agree with you if OP was 60-90 days out, but being 3 weeks out, everything is going to be booked solid with random openings found with ACTIVE searching.

I was up at the crack of dawn at the 180 day mark and I was able to snag a few of the reservations we wanted, but not everything and we have to compromise on the times quite a bit. I've been watching the website and even tried scout, but so far not a luck. Crazy. Hope you find what your looking for and have a wonderful trip either way!

I was up at the crack of dawn at the 180 day mark and I was able to snag a few of the reservations we wanted, but not everything and we have to compromise on the times quite a bit. I've been watching the website and even tried scout, but so far not a luck. Crazy. Hope you find what your looking for and have a wonderful trip either way!

Wow.
At the 180 and even 170 mark, we found everything. CRT, BoG for 8, Boathouse, Le Cellier, Chef Mickey's and even grabbed Victoria and Alberts' QVR for two.

It's a factor of everything, but in reality, Disney World is a relatively heavily planned vacation for the majority of visitors.
Take Epcot for example with it's 32,000 guests/day average, all needing dinner somewhere. There are I believe 18 table service locations in Epcot. 32,000 guests with 18 table service options, it's only logical that there'd be no availability three weeks out if you can book 6 months out.

I saw on another thread that someone had booked the same restaurant every single day of their trip and were releasing them. I think this is a big part of the issue. After reading that it gave me hope for our Nov trip. I couldn't find anything we wanted. :sad1:

I saw on another thread that someone had booked the same restaurant every single day of their trip and were releasing them. I think this is a big part of the issue. After reading that it gave me hope for our Nov trip. I couldn't find anything we wanted. :sad1:

You'll always find openings, just check periodically throughout the day.
We virtually have found every ADR we ever wanted that was booked up, prior to our trip. The week before and days before ADR's open and close constant as people finalize their trips.

So, my two cents....

My family does not buy Park Hopper options. For a variety of reasons, which I won't go into here, they don't work for our family and vacationing style.

Anyways, this upcoming December trip, we got the Park Hoppers... ONLY because we HAD to book them if we wanted to take advantage of the Free Dining deal.

BUT because we did get park hoppers, we've definitely took advantage of the fact that we wanted to maximize our flexibility with dining if we didn't have to be in the same park all day. So, because the system is set up this way, and allows it... we booked 2-3 options of ADRs per meal at different parks, resorts, and/or DTD/DS. Obviously, we'll cancel some closer to our trip as we finalize our plans.. but a lot of people do that.

We normally would never have done this BUT FOR the Free-Dining this year that requires a Park Hopper option. We would have just chosen one or two ADRs in or around the ONE park per day, canceling the extras as we got closer.

So, although it may not be the SOLE reason why we're seeing less and less availability... I think this must be a high contributing factor considering this is the one major change to Free-dining this year.

Also to note, it doesn't help planning much when yearly dining events (i.e. Minnie's Holiday Dine at H&V), keeps being released way after the 180-day cut off. But since that has happened previously, I don't think that's it.

I think it's the Free-Dining crowd (myself included) with their newly-found "freedom" of Park Hoppers.. making 2,3,4, or 5+ ADRs per meal per day.

So, my two cents....

My family does not buy Park Hopper options. For a variety of reasons, which I won't go into here, they don't work for our family and vacationing style.

Anyways, this upcoming December trip, we got the Park Hoppers... ONLY because we HAD to book them if we wanted to take advantage of the Free Dining deal.

BUT because we did get park hoppers, we've definitely took advantage of the fact that we wanted to maximize our flexibility with dining if we didn't have to be in the same park all day. So, because ...

I think it's the Free-Dining crowd (myself included) with their newly-found "freedom" of Park Hoppers.. making 2,3,4, or 5+ ADRs per meal per day.

That's what I think it is, too.

Personally, we never have more than one, maybe 2, ADRs. I've never had free dining, and I prefer CS with my family. So this doesn't bother me.

I also realize that ADRs will open up because of it, so people shouldn't lose hope.

I would agree with you if OP was 60-90 days out, but being 3 weeks out, everything is going to be booked solid with random openings found with ACTIVE searching.

i used the reservation watch app, which the first few searches were free and that got me everything i wanted within a few hours time frame from people finally releasing double booking of ressies

i used the reservation watch app, which the first few searches were free and that got me everything i wanted within a few hours time frame from people finally releasing double booking of ressies

And I think this is the biggest reason some aren't finding the dining openings. If you want the high demand openings, I'm afraid this is going to become a requirement.

We're going Nov 14-22 and at 180 days I tried to get ADR's and there was nothing at HS or MK. I check every day and have snagged a few places but nothing at MK or HS for dinner. Almost everything is available at EPCOT and AK but I don't want to go there everyday to eat. I've had to be creative. There were actually times when I could book a table for 4 when we only have 3. It think its a combination of free dining and people that are booking multiples - and I don't blame them one bit, it's every man for himself in this situation. We are going again in January and were able to book everything we wanted.

You can look to resort restaurants who They are near park (The Wave at Contemporary, Kona Cafe at Polynesian, Grand Floridian Cafe and via Hollywood Studios Trattoria al forno in The Boardwalk or Flying Fish or Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club)

I have found on numerous occasions that even though Disney dinning or MDE are saying there is no availability at a given restaurant I can walk up and be seated in under 15 minutes. It might not happen at CRT, Akershus, or Le Cellier but they are terribly over rated anyway.

During our June trip I checked Tusker House and there was nothing for hours yet walked up and was inside within 10 minutes.

YMMV.

Keep looking, I was using the scout for BOG for our December trip and was just texted a minute ago that there was an opening on our party night. I was lucking that I was home and already on the computer so was able to book our ADR. So things do open up. Keep hope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter