Restaurant Recommendations: San Francisco and San Diego/Coronado?

Ariel484

DIS Veteran
Exactly what the title says - any cant-miss places?

One caveat: Mr. Ariel484 and I are not seafood eaters. :)

Thanks!

The Boudine Bakery down from pier 39 is really good, they also have a restaurant upstairs. And bread you can buy. You can watch them make the bread from a window outside. And many things to buy inside. So many places to eat across from Boudine as well.

Maybe SF Chinatown? It has kind of declined over the years, with the better restaurants found in other parts of town like Richmond or the Sunset, as well as the Peninsula. However, there are still a few places worth trying. New Asia is the last large room dim sum restaurant left in Chinatown. The legendary (some say infamous) Sam Wo just reopened. That was famous for the "World's Rudest Waiter" (Edsel Ford Fong) although he died in the early 80s.

http://newasiachinese.net
http://www.samwo-restaurant.com

I can second Boudin. However, they have several locations throughout San Francisco and outside of SF. The demonstration bakery (about two blocks from Pier 39) is of course the most popular, but they have a location on Pier 39, as well as two at Macy's at Union Square.

https://www.boudinbakery.com/index.cfm?page_id=157

SF:
Pier 23 - Casual cafe. Great for a nice day.
McCormick&Kuleto's - In Ghirardelli Square with great views
Umami - Japanese, but they have plenty of cooked, non-seafood items. Great desserts including cookie dough "sushi rolls" (no fish in them - that would be gross!)
Tony's Pizza - this is the super famous pizza place and always has a huge line (no reservations). Recommend going for lunch and just lining up about 20-30 minutes before they open (I think they open at noon).
Waterbar - my all time favorite in SF mostly due to the drop dead gorgeous location next to the Bay Bridge (especially pretty at night). It IS seafood, but they have other things on the menu. Plus a nice little bar menu or Sunday brunch. Epic Roasthouse is their non-seafoodish steakhouse sister restaurant next door. I find Epic to be stuffy, but they do have a good bar where you could get some bites. Very popular so make reservations.
Slanted Door - in the Ferry Building. Unique and extremely popular. Reservations a must.
Park Chow - kind of healthy and awesome place to catch lunch near Golden Gate park

SD:
Been a while since I've been there, but I remember liking The Fish Market. For a quieter dining experience they have the upstairs dining room - "Top of the Market". As the name implies it specializes in seafood though. I think they have other things, but overall it might be too fishy.
The Ferry Landing marketplace on Coronado has pretty much anything you could want for food of all types and price ranges. For a nicer meal we especially enjoyed Peohe's and it has a great patio.
The Prado in Balboa Park is a great place for lunch or dinner.

In Chinatown, Golden Gate Bakery is famous for their egg tarts. If you see a line outside, that probably means fresh ones are coming out of the oven.

I'm a local of the Bay Area, here are some personal favorites that may be slightly off the beaten track. If I included seafood, the list would be a whole lot longer :)
- Arizmendi for artisanal pizza and baked goods
- House of Prime Rib
- Koi Palace for dim sum, but it's way off the beaten track in Daly City.

In Chinatown, Golden Gate Bakery is famous for their egg tarts. If you see a line outside, that probably means fresh ones are coming out of the oven.

I'm a local of the Bay Area, here are some personal favorites that may be slightly off the beaten track. If I included seafood, the list would be a whole lot longer :)
- Arizmendi for artisanal pizza and baked goods
- House of Prime Rib
- Koi Palace for dim sum, but it's way off the beaten track in Daly City.

Cheese Board Pizza in Berkeley is the original. They basically spawned all the other Arizmendi collectives in the Bay Area. The one in Emeryville (along with the Cheese Board) was probably the inspiration for the broccoli pizza from Inside Out.

As for Golden Gate - it's OK. However, if it's open there's going to be a line. And there's a good chance it won't be open. The seem to be on vacation a lot.

http://www.is-the-golden-gate-bakery-open-today.com

If you're staying in Coronado, I suggest driving down the silver strand to Imperial Beach and eating at Sea 180. You'll be right on the beach and they have amazing happy hour! For a good view of the city, I suggest C Level on Harbor Island. If you love wine, one of my favorite restaurants is The 3rd Corner in Ocean Beach. It's a charming restaurant in a wine shop with delicious food!

Another vote for Boudin in the Fisherman's Wharf area. We ate breakfast and lunch in the downstairs eatery and had dinner upstairs. We always grab 1 lunch at Gott's in the Ferry Market, great burgers, dogs and garlic fries. If you go over to Sausalito the Spinnaker is good. Has great views of SF.
As for San Diego/ Coronado we also enjoyed the Fish Market along with Il Fornaio in Coronado. It is in the ferry landing area. We have eaten there both when staying in downtown San Diego and stay at the Del in Coronado.

Last edited:
Second Third Corner in OB. Very tasty. Burger Lounge is a local chain and makes a very tasty burger in Coronado. Will you have a car? Coronado is a bit limited and isolated. Having a car will help expand your options. San Diego is best known for its seafood, mexican, and produce. And I see you don't eat seafood.

Another vote for Boudin in the Fisherman's Wharf area. We ate breakfast and lunch in the downstairs eatery and had dinner upstairs. We always grab 1 lunch at Gott's in the Ferry Market, great burgers, dogs and garlic fries. If you go over to Sausalito the Spinnaker is good. Has great views of SF.
As for San Diego/ Coronado we also enjoyed the Fish Market along with Il Fornaio in Coronado. It is in the ferry landing area. We have eaten there both when staying in downtown San Diego and stay at the Del in Coronado.
Awesome, thank you so much!
Second Third Corner in OB. Very tasty. Burger Lounge is a local chain and makes a very tasty burger in Coronado. Will you have a car? Coronado is a bit limited and isolated. Having a car will help expand your options. San Diego is best known for its seafood, mexican, and produce. And I see you don't eat seafood.
Nope, no car. :) We'll just taxi around, I guess.

And nope, no seafood! ;) Thanks for your suggestions!

In San Diego, Old Town Mexican Cafe. Best Mexican food in SD. There is a lady in the front window making torilla's. We always take some home after. I see you don't have a car but I think you can get to it from the trolly. Or it won't be too long of a taxi ride from Coronado. Check out the Old town area why you are there. Its a cute little part of town.

In San Diego, Old Town Mexican Cafe. Best Mexican food in SD. There is a lady in the front window making torilla's. We always take some home after. I see you don't have a car but I think you can get to it from the trolly. Or it won't be too long of a taxi ride from Coronado. Check out the Old town area why you are there. Its a cute little part of town.
Thank you! We are definitely looking to get some great Mexican food so I will put this one on the list! :)

We will be staying on Coronado, and will have a car. Not seafood fans, but like reasonable priced steak places. Recommendations for family places?

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter