Restaurant Ideas For A Budget Trip

Disneylvr

Always Disney Dreaming!
My DH and I might be making a spure of the moment trip to WDW in September for just 3 or 4 nights. We have Delta "Friends and Family" vouchers that will expire next March so we wanted to use them before our Annual Passes expire on January 6, 2002. We have another trip planned for December 2001 so this trip(Sept.) must be VERY budget. Our airfare is paid for, admission is paid for and we are trying for that $54(tax included) rate at All Stars. We plan on eating pop tarts, granola bars etc. in our room each morning and then counter service restaurants for lunch and dinner. What counter service restaurants in the parks and at the resorts give you the most for your $$$? I know several of them have "meal deals" where a sandwich/fries or fruit/beverage are included. Thanks!!

Hi Michelle!

In the Magic Kingdom, I would suggest Pecos Bill and Columbia Harbour House. Pecos Bill has a chicken wrap on the menu that comes with fries. My husband and I split the wrap (it's that BIG) and we order another order of fries. I love the chicken strips at Columbia Harbour House.

In EPCOT, just about all the counter service places have meal deals. We have eaten at the Electric Umbrella many times. The Sunshine Season Food Fair in The Land pavilion has an extensive variety of items.

I'm not crazy about the counter service at MGM. We have eaten at the Backlot Express a couple of times and they also offer the meal deals. Pizza Planet offers a deal also with pizza and drink but I found the pizza to be VERY greasy.

I haven't had counter service in the Animal Kingdom. I have heard that Tusker House and Flame Tree Barbecue are both pretty good.

The food courts at the All-Stars are okay. The burgers are pretty good and they also offer chicken strips. I have also had the prepackaged salads and found those good as well.

I hope this helps!

The Land pavilion in Epcot has a soup sandwich place that we always go to. My dd and I each have a bowl of homemade soup and split the italian sub, plus one large pop. Comes to around $l4total. Chips included, food very good.

Tucker House at AK has reasonable priced meals.

We're getting ready to leave this Friday!!-- Yeah!!!:bounce:

but here are a few of the "ideas" I have listed on my pocket planner

Magic Kingdom
Pecos Bill's counter service
Paul Bunyan Double Cheeseburger - served with your choice of French fries or carrots and large beverage $5.80
DRINK included there

Or (bad as I hate to say it)
Cosmic Rays
**steak and cheese sub for 4.90
**Caesar salad with chicken 5.80
**1/4 lb cheeseburger with fries/grapes 4.65
(we take a packet of Crystal Light and "order ICE" then using our water bottle we shake our own drink)

Animal Kingdom
MCDONALD's RESTAURANTASAURUS
Split 10 nuggets and fries for 5.49 then run over to Dino Diner for a whole piece of fruit for .94 cents each.

Moving to MGM
Rosie's All American Cafe
Have a Burger and salad for 5.50 (burgers are 3.50 and garden salad is 1.95)

Toluca Turkey Legs has a footlong hotdog for 4.65 you could buy one and cut it in half and share fries or fruit (from the Anihiem Produce stand) each for under 10.00.

and Epcot... oh my... I'm in heaven.. I eat my way all the way around the world and don't care what I SPEND there so I'm no help...

But be sure and check the parks closing times for the days you will be there so you don't plan supper too early and miss an hours worth of park fun.

Enjoy,
X

Don't forget the GIANT baked potatoes available in MGM studios for about $4 with your choice of toppings. Stand is near TOT.

Hi---

My family did the budget eating thing in Juy and it worked very well and food was good! Every morning we had breakfast in our hotel room. Enjoyed:

BB-Counter Service here was very good, ate here two days.
MK-Pecos Bills
MK-El Pirate
MGM-TS Pizza Planet
Epcot-The Chinese Counter Service
Epcot-Kringla Bakery in Norway (they have sandwiches there too)
Epcot-The Counter service in the American Place
Epcot-Mexico Counter Service
ASSports food court, ate here at least 6 or 7 times.

My family (me, DH, 14 DD, 6 DS) spent between $700-$800 for 8 days, 7 nights. We had lots of snacks (pop corn, dole whips, drinks, ice cream) and even ate at Spoodles one night. It can be done! In fact, when we go back, we probably wont make as many PS as we usually do-will only plan on 2 or 3 for the week.

Lisa

Columbia Harbor House is great. Fish and Chips in GB Epcot. Tusker House AK.

You might also try the kids meals. I had the chicken strips (not the nuggets) one meal when I wasn't very hungry and was pleasantly suprised.

Thank you thank you thank you for all the wonderful ideas! I am printing them out and taking them with us. One counter service restaurant that was suggested but we haven't ate at for years is El Pirata y el Perico. If I remember correctly they have a HUGE taco salad that could be shared or eaten around 2-3pm and would last for lunch and dinner. It does look like this trip IS going to happen because as of today all the Delta flights are wide open for our dates and DH was able to take the vacation days off from work. :) These spure of the moment trips are fun!!!! Keep the advice coming!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The Yorkshire Fish Shop in Epcot at the UK pavillion is pretty good also. We ate that one night while waiting for Illuminations to start and I was pleasantly surprised as to how good it was. The Electric Umbrella at Epcot has pretty decent burgers and a great topping bar. Pecos Bills was great when we ate there on the trip before last. In all the times I have been to Disney I never realized it was there LOL. Their topping bar is great also. At MGM we have only done the buffet at Hollywood and Vine and Pizza Planet. I would do H&V again but not Pizza Planet. AK we have only done cart type of eating. We never make it long enough in that park due to the heat to stop and eat much of anything.

I can also vouch for the giant baked potatoes in MGM. In Animal Kingdom try the beef stew at Tusker House. It's served in a bread bowl and is enough for 2 people if you're not starved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter