Rest day in middle of trip and park on departure or rest on departure?

Marinalynn

Earning My Ears
I’m headed to Disney world in December 12th-17th. We have 4 park hoppers and Christmas party to plan. Our flight will be at Departing at 935 pm. I’m trying to figure out if I should take a rest day the 14th and go to park on departure day. We will have 2 children with us as well. What do you think?
EDIT: I don’t really mean rest. That day would be used for Disney springs, and exploring outside the parks.

Last edited:
This will really be a purely personal decision. To me, I don't subscribe to the "rest day" theory. Doesn't make a ton of sense. I'd rather pace myself and be able to go to the parks more days, than run nonstop to where I need a rest day. If I had no other choice but to take one, in your situation, I'd probably do it on departure day.

Disney can involve MILES of walking along with LOTS of other people. The answer partly depends on the age of those in your party, how physically fit you are and if you are the go-go-go type when at Disney. Taking an off day in the middle of your trip makes a lot of sense to me so you aren't exhausted by the end of your trip.

We schedule a "rest" mid-day, everyday.

We like to go to the parks early, take a mid day break (swim/nap/movie) and then back out.

We go on the rides we like with out the crowds in the AM and then FP for the night.

After 2-3 park days, my kids are usually DONE and asking to spend some time relaxing. Some trips we do a true rest day (Disney Springs, mini golf, and swimming). Other trips we plan a lazy morning (breakfast, swimming, and the arcade) then head to the parks around lunchtime. We try to keep that day in the parks a little slower, like by having a long character meal. The rest of the trip is much more enjoyable if we let them recharge.

This will really be a purely personal decision. To me, I don't subscribe to the "rest day" theory. Doesn't make a ton of sense. I'd rather pace myself and be able to go to the parks more days, than run nonstop to where I need a rest day. If I had no other choice but to take one, in your situation, I'd probably do it on departure day.
Completely agree. We go to Disney for the parks. I can go for a long weekend somewhere if I want to shop and pool for a whole day. I will say, we do enjoy the resort pools and Disney Springs. We take a mid day break some days and use the pools before heading back to the parks. We like Disney Springs at night after a park closing as it is open late.

I’m headed to Disney world in December 12th-17th. We have 4 park hoppers and Christmas party to plan. Our flight will be at Departing at 935 pm. I’m trying to figure out if I should take a rest day the 14th and go to park on departure day. We will have 2 children with us as well. What do you think?
EDIT: I don’t really mean rest. That day would be used for Disney springs, and exploring outside the parks.

For us, with two kids also, departure day is pretty hectic, so we don’t even attempt to visit the parks before our flight. It all depends on what you plan to do the day you aren’t at the parks. We don’t take a whole day for Disney Springs, we go in the evenings after a day at the park, and sometimes we will go outlet shopping early morning, then hit the park for the rest of that day. The only time we have taken a full day away from Disney on a shorter trip is to visit other attractions such as Legoland and Sea World.

We will do 8 full days in WDW
with a 7 day Park Hopper ticket
And one day doing the Very Merry Mickey Christmas Party and mini -golf (free) mid morning
So our no park hopper ticket use "break day" will be day 4 or 5
We do not count or will use a ticket on arrival day at POFQ (will will arrive about 10:30 PM or maybe later) and not departure day (leave POFQ at 11 AM to go to MCO).
1st full day in MK/EPCOT, then day 2 will be AK/ ?, day 3 MK/EPCOT, no ticket day 4 VMMCP, day 5 DHS/EPCOT, day 7 MK/?, day 8 MK or EPCOT/?

Since your flight leaves at 935pm, I would not choose that day as a rest day, because where will you rest that long? I would sleep later that day, check out, and go to park with a table service reservation (get off your feet and eat so not hungry at airport).

Are you staying on site & using DME? If so, you'll be picked up from resort around 6:30 so you'll have to finish park time by 5pm.
Or, will you have a rental car to return at MCO?

Normally, I wouldn't schedule a rest day on a 5 day trip. But since you have a party day planned, I would rest before the party and spend your last day at the parks.
This!
When ever we go for a party, we don't do a different park that day. We take the morning/early afternoon to spend time at the resort pool, have lunch at one of the resort restaurants, and just generally explore and enjoy our resort.

I like to burn it up during the few days I have at Disney. I dont spend much time by the pool or rest midday. I'll rest when I get back home. I slow down about Day 4 or 5 but I take advantage of EMH and rope drop. I may head back to my resort for a change and shower but that's all. Refreshed and head back. I just know that one week after I get back I'll wish I did more. It's not the beach after all! My friends go to Cuba? but each to their own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter