Resort with beach equivalent - Castaway Cay?

dclDream2018

Mouseketeer
Slightly off topic, and slightly not? I have been on one Disney cruise, and quite honestly don't have a desire to go on a another. However, I loved our day at Castaway Cay - it was clean, safe and secure, private (no peddlers), and had open chairs, space to sprawl, etc.

Does anyone know of/have recommendation for a resort that has a beach area like Castaway Cay, where I could spend a week (or maybe 2!)?

Just the beach area? Or do you want snorkelling, a tower with slides on in the sea?
Any geographic preference?
I can think of many clean, safe and secure peddler free beaches. Lou moon lodge in Ghana, Nosy Mangabe/Masoala peninsular in Madagascar, Rabbit Island in Kep, Cambodia.

Also pretty much any all inclusive resort will police its beach so people don't get harassed wont they? Have not been to any in the Americas. Except Cuba, varadero is pretty well policed, or at least it was a decade ago.

Slightly off topic, and slightly not? I have been on one Disney cruise, and quite honestly don't have a desire to go on a another. However, I loved our day at Castaway Cay - it was clean, safe and secure, private (no peddlers), and had open chairs, space to sprawl, etc.

Does anyone know of/have recommendation for a resort that has a beach area like Castaway Cay, where I could spend a week (or maybe 2!)?
Barcelo Riveria Maya resort south of Playa del Carmen is the best beach I've ever been to.

Barcelo Riveria Maya resort south of Playa del Carmen is the best beach I've ever been to.

I'll second the Barcelo Riviera Maya all-inclusive! Just got back from our 5th trip there. AWESOME beach, decent snorkeling, a lot of activities, decent food, fantastic pools. No towel game.

:beach:

Thanks for the suggestions! I see there are a few Barcelo Maya - is there another specific name for the one you'd recommend?

Thanks for the suggestions! I see there are a few Barcelo Maya - is there another specific name for the one you'd recommend?

Barcelo Maya Grand- the resort has 5 different hotels on the property. The Palace is the deluxe resort (more expensive, you have the run of the resort with private pools and restaurants included exclusively with stays at that property). Tropical, Colonial, Beach and Caribe are the other hotels- when you book at the Barcelo Maya Grand, you can be placed at any of the 4 hotels. We have stayed at all but Caribe. These properties share a number of pools, bars, places to eat (buffets, seaside grills and a la carte themed reservation restaurants) and activities areas. There are small waterparks/splash areas for kids (no fee) and there is a larger waterpark (with admission charge) on the property. There is a mini golf course (free during the day, additional charge when the lights are on).

All of the hotels on the property have equal access to the mile-long beach. Part of the beach is excellent for snorkeling, another area has waves and watersports like water bikes, kayaks and sailboats (all included with stay) and another part of the beach is calmer and shallow- you can walk out pretty far and the water does not get very deep.

We also love the location, because it is very convenient to attractions like Xel-ha, Xplor adventure/zipline park, Mayan Ruins.

There is a web forum, like a smaller version of the DIS, for this resort.

https://unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/

:thumbsup2

Last edited:
St. John's, USVI. Trunk Bay is incredibly beautiful and no vendors around to annoy you. Most of the island is a National Park, so very little development. But there are hotels around, some very expensive resorts, and some cheaper places in town.

I would look for Grand Cayman. I think the Seven Mile Beach looks better than Castaway Cay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter