resort upgrade

At times I have asked if a certain upgrade is available and I get it at a discounted rate versus what has been quoted online. When we stayed at the GF I asked if there was any Club Level available and they said yes at $xyz, which was about 1/2 of what it was when I had checked before going.

I usually just book what I want and don't worry about it. This time I thought it might be nice because we had the regular dining plan versus the deluxe dining plan and I figured it would make breakfast easier if we stayed CL.

I see on here that a lot of people talk about getting resort upgrades when they check in and what not...but how does this happen??

Katy:confused3

Remember, there are something like 30,000 Disney resort rooms at WDW. That means thousands of people check into a Disney resort every day.

Seeing 15 or 20 people mentioning a resort upgrade on the Disboards seems like a lot, but it's a miniscule fraction of the total number of resort guests. All but a handful of guests who check in on any given day get exacly the resort and room type they've booked.

As others have said, resort upgrades are exceptionally rare. They don't move a guest to a more expensive resort just because there's a vacancy there. Resort upgrades happen when your resort needs to get you out of the room you booked, and there's nowhere at that resort to put you. They're trying to free up rooms to be refurbished. They're overbooked. They want to empty out some rooms at the values so they can sell more packages there, and they've got a bunch of expensive DVC inventory that isn't booking.

Remember, there are something like 30,000 Disney resort rooms at WDW. That means thousands of people check into a Disney resort every day.

Seeing 15 or 20 people mentioning a resort upgrade on the Disboards seems like a lot, but it's a miniscule fraction of the total number of resort guests. All but a handful of guests who check in on any given day get exacly the resort and room type they've booked.

As others have said, resort upgrades are exceptionally rare. They don't move a guest to a more expensive resort just because there's a vacancy there. Resort upgrades happen when your resort needs to get you out of the room you booked, and there's nowhere at that resort to put you. They're trying to free up rooms to be refurbished. They're overbooked. They want to empty out some rooms at the values so they can sell more packages there, and they've got a bunch of expensive DVC inventory that isn't booking.

Which explains why they tried to move me to Saratoga Springs, I guess.

We were offered an upgrade from POR to SS and I turned it down as I genuinely wanted to stay at POR. Had never stayed at a moderate before. Well, at that point she said she would be right back and when she returned she asked if there was anywhere else I wanted to stay and I asked ANY resort?? She said yes and without a thought I said the Contemporary. She said ok! We didn't get the tower but what we consider the best garden wing room. The last one on the end right on the water. We have great pics of the boats going by. Awesome room very close to our vehicle .... but far away from the tower/monorail. So, free upgrades do happen. I just have no idea why we were chosen for one.

Wow,this thread is from 2010! :rotfl: maybe if the upgrade at POR was recent? It is because they are doing roofing and part or all of a building could be closed. So they moved you to another resort.

Keep in mind that as other have stated, the only reason that you would be resort switched is due to lack of availability at the resort that you originally booked.

But don't forget that if you are staying at a value, they may just change you to another value, or if you are staying at at moderate, they may just change you to another moderate.

Resort changes are very rare, and resort upgrade changes are even rarer. In other words, don't hold your breath..lol.

It will be 20 years this fall that I've been going to Disney, typically once or twice a year, have never got an upgrade.

We checked in to BWI today. I booked a standard room. Imagine my surprise when the CM at the front desk said "You shouldn't be down here, you're in Club!" She walked us up to the Club wing and introduced us and we've been pampered ever since. I'm really just amazed.

We met a family tonight who got a sweet resort upgrade. They had driven from Wisconsin with their 2 kids, elementary school age. They were counting on swimming in a warm pool every day. They were even told a week ago that the pool would be "ready and waiting". They checked in to POR (I think that's what he said) yesterday.

Well it turns out the pool was closed. He told them something needed to be done and first they offered him a free day at the water park. Nope, our days are all planned out he said. Well how about 10% off your trip? Nope...I need to see a Manager. Manager moved them into the Beach Club. They were more than thrilled!

I booked a surprise vacation for DH for Xmas. It was a rough year. We lost a 38 yr old nephew to leukemia, my brother got a kidney transplant that didn't work and skin cancer, and my DH company shut down after he'd been there 29 yrs. luckily he found another job after 6 mo. I saw a great deal on airline tickets so I went for it. I booked WL courtyard (we've never been able to afford more than standard) with AP discount. My only fear is that we get put in the courtyard view facing the villas. I know we will never be able to afford courtyard again, so I really am hoping for the main buildings courtyard. Need some pixie dust here. Thanks for listening .:hippie:

I booked a surprise vacation for DH for Xmas. It was a rough year. We lost a 38 yr old nephew to leukemia, my brother got a kidney transplant that didn't work and skin cancer, and my DH company shut down after he'd been there 29 yrs. luckily he found another job after 6 mo. I saw a great deal on airline tickets so I went for it. I booked WL courtyard (we've never been able to afford more than standard) with AP discount. My only fear is that we get put in the courtyard view facing the villas. I know we will never be able to afford courtyard again, so I really am hoping for the main buildings courtyard. Need some pixie dust here. Thanks for listening .:hippie:

Make sure you add this to your reservation as a request. Say "geyser view" or "interior courtyard view" or something like that. They can't guarantee it but at least the person assigning rooms will see it and hopefully accommodate you. Good luck!

i have stayed over 100 times and never got a resort upgrade but I was once in the elevator with someone at CR that booked at the All Star and arrived very late..they put him up at the CR..I was stunned! Lucky duck!

I just got back Monday from running the marathon. We originally booked at the All Star Movies. Our first night we were woke up around 12:30am to groups of Brazilian teenagers running, chanting and just being super loud. We went down to the lobby to see if they could do something...we were very nice about it all and the manager said "let me see what I can do" she came back and said she is moving us to the Wilderness Lodge. We ended up with a bunk bed room facing the courtyard. I was very very appreciative of the upgrade. She said she was very sorry and unfortunately she was going to have to deal with them for the next month or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter