Resort touring....

wcw57

DIS Veteran
My DW and I will be spending 5 days visiting a lot of the different resorts, sampling some restaurants, etc etc....no parks

I've read stuff online but thought i would come to the experts:

What are "hidden" gems/experiences at the resorts (including Swan and Dolphin) that we should try to see?

We are visiting before Pres Week in Feb of 2019.

many thanks

You might google hidden mickeys at the resorts, some of them are pretty cool. I like the one in the fireplace at Wilderness Lodge, hard to find but pops out at you when you do.

Also, the hallways in AKL are filled with neat little displays throughout

We visited the same week this past year. We were there briefly and did no parks as well. We visited AbracadaBar at Boardwalk and Trader Sam's Poly, and also liked bar hopping at Disney Springs - Hangar Bar is our favorite. We also enjoyed a nice quick service meal at Geyser Point at Wilderness Lodge and spent time relaxing, taking in the scenery.

AKL and WL are both lovely to visit. Both have beautiful spaces to sit and enjoy.

Not sure it's still happening, but WL used to do a guided tour of the Lodge. The fireplace at WL is amazing!
AKL used to have wine tastings, storytelling around a fire at night and night goggles to view the animals on the Savannah.

The artist name is eluding me at the moment but the Contemporary has beautiful murals.

If you're looking for a good restaurant, try Il Mulino's at the Swan. The entire Boardwalk area is a nice place to walk around, especially at night. You can take a look at The Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and the Swan and Dolphin. There's decent night life down there and you can usually sneak a peak at the Epcot fireworks if that's what you're into.

Take a boat from the marketplace dock at Disney Springs to Port Orleans Riverside. Walk along the river sidewalks to see the beautiful landscaping, fountains, bridges and mansions. Take a horse drawn carriage ride. Go fishing with an economical rental fishing pole at the old fishing hole.
Also, sign up for a DVC tour. They will pick you up an any Disney world location and drive you to Saratoga Springs Resort for the the tour. You will have refreshments, and then after the tour, ice cream. You are usually offered a $100 Disney Gift Card to sign up for the tour. After the tour they will take you anywhere on Disney property including right to your resort building.

Last edited:

A couple of ideas

Rent Sea Raycers on Seven Seas Lagoon - one of the most memorable experiences I have with the wife and kids. This is also available over at YC/BC but I think Seven Seas Lagoon is the way to go.
Hidden Mickey Hunt at AKL or Wilderness lodge - Both are good but the one at AKL takes you out on the overlook so you can check out the animals. Ask at the front desk of AKL, Kidani and WL for the scavenger hunt sheet. Added bonus... this one is FREE which is always the right price.
Trattoria al Forno(Boardwalk) is one of our must do's every trip and we probably just decided to add Ale and Compass(YC) to that list as well on the last trip.
Boma at AKL for Breakfast - While I don't care for Boma for dinner the breakfast is great and it is a relatively good deal for Disney
Pop Century Lobby - Maybe it is because I am an 80's nerd but I like the lobby display through the decades at Pop Century
Lunch at Captain Cooks - I know this sounds underwhelming but every trip we take a midday break from MK and head over to Captain Cooks. We eat a light lunch on the patio with a view of the castle. Usually lunch is capped off with a Dole Whip float from the Pineapple Lanai. I don't know why this is a thing for me/us but the white noise from the water fall, the pool with the castle in the background. Its a great way to take a break. Just watch out for the "stealy birds" as my kids call them.

I've read stuff online but thought i would come to the experts:

What are "hidden" gems/experiences at the resorts (including Swan and Dolphin) that we should try to see?

We are visiting before Pres Week in Feb of 2019.

many thanks

I would google for that month's resort activity calendars. It will list the various resort activities that are offered and you can look at previous ones to see what is normally offered. On DIS a lot of the resort threads will post that month's activity calendar.

They also have a tour of BWI, you just sign up in the lobby. There are bike rentals around the Boardwalk and horse back riding at the Fort. Be warned, the DVC tour does not always offer anything with it. We did it on a whim and ended up sitting in an office at BW watching a video, didn't even get a tour of a unit. Got a coke while we were sitting there and the agent actually disappeared for about a half hour to let us go through the video in private. That was it, a video in a closed conference room that held about 5 people. They picked up at WS in Epcot and shuttled over to the clubhouse at BW which frankly was quicker to walk. We told them we had something to do at a certain time and they assured us we would be done in plenty of time, we weren't. My son and then DIL ended up buying (despite my trying to talk them into going home and sleeping on it and doing more research) but I made the mistake of giving them my email even though I told them I wasn't interested and got constant emails for about a year.

Book a time at Beaches and Cream for lunch or an ice cream snack at the BC, OR try Ample Hills across the way at the Boardwalk.

Go horseback riding at FW. Also campfire in the evening. Or just visit the horses at FW. Book Hoop Dee Doo for a corny but fun evening meal.

Watch Yee Haa Bob at POR.

Visit AoA for great photo ops.

Watch the MK fireworks from the boat dock at the TTC.

Have breakfast or dinner at Boma in Jambo House at the AKL. Sometimes they may also give a tour of Jiko (with samples). Watch the animals from the different lookouts and relax in a rocking chair. Admire the artwork and talk with the CM's.

Stroll around the lake at CSR for lots of scenic picture ops and relax in a hammock in the Cabanas section. This is very beautiful at night.

Book Victoria and Albert's for an amazing dinner at the GF OR the California Grille at the CR OR O'hanas at the Poly.

Listen to the live music playing at the GF lobby area. Have tea in the GF in the afternoon.

Ride the little boat from the GF to the Poly to the MK and back. It is a very nice ride. Or take the boat the FW/WL from the MK or CR.

Ride the monorail loop and visit the monorail resorts. Check out the shops, have a beverage or snack at each one.

Go to GF and take the walking path to Poly.

At WL, walk on over to FW.

At any of the moderate resorts, explore the grounds (they are so big and spread out, it's a great walk around the whole resort).

Walk around the lagoon at the Epcot resorts, stopping to visit at each resort (especially at BWI, visit the courtyard where the little cottages and the quiet pool are).

(As you can guess, I am a big walker and like to explore my physical surroundings.)

Go to the contemporary and ride the monorail around the loop and stop at Poly and GF as well. I wou,d also rent a sea racer at WL and tour around the lake, I’d also take the walk from WL to ft wilderness tour the forest. While at ft wilderness take a hay ride or better yet the Segway tour there, it’s super fun!

Have a great trip!

Are you staying at a WDW and using WDW transportation? Based on using WDW transportation from WDW resort I’d take the bus to MK and hop on the Poly boat. Visit Poly, have a Dole Whip then either walk or take monorail to GF. Maybe have Tea or lunch there. We like the food options there at their QS, Beach Pool Grill or GF Cafe for lunch options. Take monorail to CR, visit their shops then walk out to the back past pools to boat dock for boat to WL & FW. Have a drink at Geyser Point, lovely views of Bay Lake. If you don’t eat at GF this is another good place to eat. Have a look at lobby & shop then walk or take boat to FW. The stables are near boat dock. They have the ponies and large draft horses here. I noticed on my last visit (Monday) that they have barn tour at 12:30. May have done it but we were there our leaving day for breakfast at Trails End so no time.

For Epcot resorts take WDW bus to DHS and hop on a Friendship Boat to YC (or Swan/Dolphin) Tour Epcot resorts starting on resort you first get off on, ending at BWI. Then either walk or boat back to DHS for return to your resort bus. As others mentioned there are many food/snack choices in the area. We also like to stop at Wyland Gallery in BWI outside.

AKL is also a fun resort to visit. Unique gift shop, Savana lookout off lobby porch, and can walk down to Arusha Rock where there are cms happy to talk to you about the animals. Lots of art exhibits in the lobby to look at.
Then you can walk over to Kidani for a different Savana view.
Great food options here too. We love Boma at AKL and Sana at Kidani. Lunch is more fun at Sana because it looks out at the Sunset Savana. But at night you don’t see anything. So we prefer lunch.

I hesitate to say join resort activities if you aren’t staying at that resort. They are for their resort guests and if activity is full I’ve seen them turn away non resort guests. But walking around the public areas is just fine.

If you aren’t staying on property I would recommend parking at TTC and using WDW transportation to get to Epcot or MK resorts. Parking is limited at these resorts and sometimes they don’t allow it if lots are full and you don’t have an adr, because of close proximity to parks people have abused parking.
Or park at Disney Springs and take a resort bus.

On a Disney Springs day taking a boat to the POR resorts is beautiful. Very scenic ride and the POR resorts are so pretty. Get some Beignets at POFQ. They have Mickey Shaped ones. As mentioned an evening watching YeeHaw Bob at POR is very entertaining.

I second the idea about downloading the individual resort activity calendars. I know that at least AoA and one other resort have animation drawing lessons.

yes, we're staying on site....ASMo and then, when the family appears, over to SS....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter