Resort Report: POFQ

DisneyJade

Two decades on the DIS, lurking and learning
Port Orleans French Quarter - Building Two - Rm#2216

Requests: Corner Room w/courtyard view (both granted)

Here's the good, the bad and the ugly -- in reverse order.

The Ugly:
--One night, Yorke requested an iron and after two hours it still hadn't arrived, so I called down and they said it would be another 45 minutes. It was another hour and a half. How much effort does it take to run an iron to a room??? and if they're all out, just say so!
--Mousekeeping did a half-hearted job. We left generous tips in clearly marked envelopes every day, but only one envelope was ever picked up. That was also the only day we got good maid service. The other four days we came home to find the beds made, fresh towels in the bathroom and the garbage emptied. Everything else was still pretty much strewn around (not that we're slobs). One night we did get a towel-animal though. but we never figured out what it was supposed to be. :p

The Bad:
--Dresser drawers stuck.. not a big deal at first, but after a few days of sticking squealing screeching drawers, it really starts to wear on your nerves.
--No entertainment at Scat Cat Lounge. Lounge was always well-lit, and it's right across from the check-in, so it sort of feels like an airport bar instead of a cozy place to chill with Jazz and a drink. There wasn't even jazz music piped in on speakers or anything. It was just quiet and bare and bright. But the drinks were just as overpriced as everywhere else in Disney. Oh, and the house Chardonay is terrible.
--No room service. I would absolutely stay at POFQ again if it weren't for the lack of this amenity. Three times in our four-night stay we ended up carrying armfuls of food back to the room from the food court.. a poor substitute for room service. If this hotel feature is important to you, stay at Coronado Springs or a Delux.
--Pillows were a bit stiff for my taste and bedding was pretty cheap-o.
--Food court was overpriced for the quality/quantity of the food (see dining report)
--Cast members weren't all that friendly, especially in the food court. They were actually kind of rude.

The Good:
--How Pretty!!!! It was so much more quaint and classy than I even dreamed. The grounds are very well maintained, and I wish I'd had more time to just wander around and enjoy the scenery.
--Location, location, location. There's one thing the moderates all have over the deluxes. You are never too far from ANYTHING. You may not be able to take the monorail, but at POFQ you are right smack in the middle of WDW, so everything is within arm's reach. Bus trips are short (except 25-30 minute ride to DD).
--Size, size, size! Unlike the other sprawling moderate resorts, POFQ is teeny tiny and therefore no matter where you are, you are close to everything.. the bus stop, the boat, the food court, the front desk, the pool, etc... The furthest walk is from the hub to the far end of building seven, and even that is only five minutes. You do enough walking in the park! Take it easy at POFQ. :)
--The pool area is great. The theming isn't as tacky as it seems in the pictures. It's just very creative and also very spacious... plenty of room poolside. One word of warning for parents though... some of that fun theming blocks your view of parts of the pool area. There is no one place where you can see the whole pool at one time. Watch your kids!
--Buses were fantastic! We never waited more than five minutes for a bus the whole trip, and that was at a park. At POFQ, the buses were always there within a minute or so... or parked and waiting as we approached the bus stop. There is only one stop at POFQ. Then your bus goes on to the four stops at POR. If you stay at POFQ, you are first for pick up and first to take home, which is VERY NICE. Word of warning now: our bus luck was very likely due to the fact that it was off-off-off season while we were there. I don't know what the buses are like when the parks are packed.

I hope this all helps! Enjoy your stay at POFQ!!!

Just a quick comment....

POFQ *does* have a limited room service menu. Mainly pizza, sandwiches, salads. There should have been a menu on the small table in the room, and they only serve from 4pm to midnight. You can find the menu here:

Sassagoula Pizza Express

Hi DisneyJade-
I'm sorry your trip was marred by the problems you listed. We were at POFQ from 12/30 thru 1/4. We didn't have any troubles like those you encountered.
There was one day that our mousekeeper didn't take the clearly marked tip envelope off the table, or the food court tray and dirty glass it rested on. Other than that, the room was very well maintained!
I agree with your assesment of Scat Cats- a jazz trio, or even canned jazz would improve the atmosphere.

The food court was actually fun. A rather large cook kept shouting 'All you people go home! You don't want breakfast' and people would reply 'We do too!'. A bell was rung everytime an order of beignets came out of the deep fryer, with the bakery CM's shouting 'Fresh Beignets"! Maybe it was the holiday spirit.

Regarding transportation to DD, did you consider taking the boat? It's a nice ride down the river if the weather is good, and runs until 11:30 at night.

If I'd encountered your problems, I'd fax or call the resort manager, and also Disney Guest Relations. At the prices we pay, those problems shouldn't exist, and the people in charge should know about them.

Originally posted by DisneyJade
Port Orleans French Quarter - Building Two - Rm#2216
--Mousekeeping did a half-hearted job. We left generous tips in clearly marked envelopes every day, but only one envelope was ever picked up. That was also the only day we got good maid service. The other four days we came home to find the beds made, fresh towels in the bathroom and the garbage emptied. Everything else was still pretty much strewn around (not that we're slobs). One night we did get a towel-animal though. but we never figured out what it was supposed to be. :p

I'm not sure I understand your point of "everything else being strewn around" You said the beds were made, garbage emptied and fresh towels were left. What exactly was strewn around? As far as I understand maid service does not touch personal items. Nor will they pick up after you. I've left clothes folded here and there or drinks on the nightstand and toiletries on the sink. They've never touched them nor would I expect them to.

oh no, i didn't mean clothes. we actually kept those in drawers or suitcases. we're both really very neat. but to be more specific: we ate in the room - a lot. every morning there was a tray and a couple to-go containers or an empty box of cookies or something that we couldn't fit into the garbage can --those to go lids take up a lot of space. :) I mean, stuff that was obviously garbage was left behind. plus, two nights i left my pajamas on the bed and when we came back and the beds were made... the pajamas were thrown on the floor. I guess I just thought the tipping was because the mousekeepers were something special. It was just noticeably the least amount of cleaning I've seen a hotel do anywhere I've ever stayed. I'm not trying to bash them. I really liked POFQ. It's just something I thought people might like to know about when they read trip reports.

Thanks for the clarification. They should absolutely be taking care of your food service garbage. That stinks that someone threw your pjs on the floor. Thanks for the trip report :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter