Resort Prices

Apeters430

Mouseketeer
...... YIKES ............ DVC owner here so I don't usually book regular cash stays but with the restrictions and our curiosity we thought about booking at a moderate for our annual Christmas time stay. We usually book about 3 nights sometime between 12/1-12/19. I just took a look at resort prices and was floored. Two years ago we had a cash stay at Riverside for about $220 a night and with Caribbean Beach and Coronado being about $350 a night Im expecting Riverside to be the same at reopening. I can not believe people pay these prices when there are pretty much NO benefits to staying on property anymore. When will guest finally have enough of the constant huge price increases?

With people now being able to travel and the 50th anniversary, no surprise at the price of hotels. We always go in November and stay in the EPCOT area. I've seen the prices they are asking and I just won't pay it. We have a reservation at the Dolphin. We can get a much larger room for a lot less money (even with the parking and resort fee) then what they are asking for the Disney hotels.

Disney room rates increase every year, regardless of perks. Also the different rate seasons get more and more precise. 12/1-12/19 covers everything from value season rates to the most expensive holiday rates.

Disney room rates increase every year, regardless of perks. Also the different rate seasons get more and more precise. 12/1-12/19 covers everything from value season rates to the most expensive holiday rates.
I’m aware they always increase but this is a hefty increase. Two years ago I paid about $350 for a suite at AOA and it’s now well over $500. No skyliner is worth that increase. Yes, property perks are not guaranteed but that just makes the Disney Spring resorts that much more appealing for a fraction of the priced a Disney resort.

With people now being able to travel and the 50th anniversary, no surprise at the price of hotels. We always go in November and stay in the EPCOT area. I've seen the prices they are asking and I just won't pay it. We have a reservation at the Dolphin. We can get a much larger room for a lot less money (even with the parking and resort fee) then what they are asking for the Disney hotels.
I get that it’s the anniversary but it’s not like there will be a price decrease once the 50th hype passes. I’m with you. I simply just refuse to pay them prices when there’s still beautiful resorts in the surrounding areas for a fraction of the price.

I totally agree. This August will probably be our last trip staying onsite. The only reason we are paying the hefty price for a WDW resort is because our 3 DDs (all early 20s) will be arriving at different times, and can just take ME from the airport when they arrive. Once ME is discontinued, we will probably just rent a car and stay offsite. It makes me so sad, because we love the Disney bubble, but it is so hard to justify the cost when the perks of staying onsite keep getting fewer and fewer every year.

I’m aware they always increase but this is a hefty increase. Two years ago I paid about $350 for a suite at AOA and it’s now well over $500. No skyliner is worth that increase. Yes, property perks are not guaranteed but that just makes the Disney Spring resorts that much more appealing for a fraction of the priced a Disney resort.
In 2020 (before COVID) Disney published hotel prices increased by almost 10% in one year, the first time that has happened since the late 1980s.

Skyliner hotels saw even bigger increases. They averaged 17%!

I think the other thing to factor in is that pre-covid there was almost always a discount/promotion running for any particular dates, some better than others. Right now it seems that with the post-covid travel surge that is starting to build, whatever algorithm Disney uses, they don't need to fill so many empty rooms. I agree that seeing rack rate rooms can be jarring, especially after the 2019/2020 big price increase.

We've been going to WDW for 25 years and price hikes are normal but the past year or two has been too much in my opinion. I guess if the demand is there they will charge whatever they can. We are just about at the point were we might hang it up.
A funny side story: we recently found an old resort receipt from a WDW special at the pop century for $55 per night.

It is too early for December discounts—I’m thinking the prices you paid a couple of years ago were after discounts came out.

I know I paid $300 a night for riverside in December 2017 the week before xmas and that was with a discount, so you must have gone on less expensive days than me.

Also by December, onsite guests will be allowed in each park 30 minutes before offsite. That is still a pretty big perk. A lot of people likely expect FP to return which is a big advantage. And frankly, if you stay offsite these days you basically cannot book TS dining as offsite has to book TS at exactly 60 days from each day of the trip, and most places are sold out by then from onsite guests with their 60+10. So I don’t buy the premise there is no advantage to onsite guests any more.

Disney is going to keep raising the rates until something stops them.....that something being demand. I honestly do not think it is just Disney, I honestly think most places near water or on Disney property have crazy high prices right now. I know I am part of the problem...but until bookings slow down from the current pace, it only will get worse.

Oh and MarkPenske my wife and I were just talking about rooms and prices from when our kids were little....$110 a night at Yacht Club...$99 a night at Wilderness Lodge....those were the days.

It is too early for December discounts—I’m thinking the prices you paid a couple of years ago were after discounts came out.

I know I paid $300 a night for riverside in December 2017 the week before xmas and that was with a discount, so you must have gone on less expensive days than me.

Also by December, onsite guests will be allowed in each park 30 minutes before offsite. That is still a pretty big perk. A lot of people likely expect FP to return which is a big advantage. And frankly, if you stay offsite these days you basically cannot book TS dining as offsite has to book TS at exactly 60 days from each day of the trip, and most places are sold out by then from onsite guests with their 60+10. So I don’t buy the premise there is no advantage to onsite guests any more.
I’d also add the park pass reservation system adds another benefit for staying on site in theory but not sure it actually plays out this way. I expect the park pass system to stay in future as way to incentivize on site stays when availability is tight (especially for ap).

I’d also add the park pass reservation system adds another benefit for staying on site in theory but not sure it actually plays out this way. I expect the park pass system to stay in future as way to incentivize on site stays when availability is tight (especially for ap).
Thus far, there has been no advantage to being onsite for park passes. The “resort” and “ticket” park pass availability have been identical. Though I agree that could change as they open resorts.

...... YIKES ............ DVC owner here so I don't usually book regular cash stays but with the restrictions and our curiosity we thought about booking at a moderate for our annual Christmas time stay. We usually book about 3 nights sometime between 12/1-12/19. I just took a look at resort prices and was floored. Two years ago we had a cash stay at Riverside for about $220 a night and with Caribbean Beach and Coronado being about $350 a night Im expecting Riverside to be the same at reopening. I can not believe people pay these prices when there are pretty much NO benefits to staying on property anymore. When will guest finally have enough of the constant huge price increases?
I agree with many of the comments on here, benefits of being onsite dwindle away year after year however there are people who will pay that whether or not there is any benefit because they see a value in being onsite, whether it's being in the bubble or not wanting to deal with their own transport. Also, we are forgetting about the one and done crowd. They are only going to WDW once in their lifetimes and stay onsite because either it's a must do or they just don't realize that there are other resort options, etc. We usually stay onsite because we don't mess with transport but we've done off site and just ubered to the parks also but there is no beating a room that is within walking distance to the parks.

That's why we booked points through DVC at OKW...for basically the price of a moderate preferred room for 8 nights we are getting a one bedroom at OKW....we did also book 1 night at WL Copper Creek for $500 odd....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter