Resort parking fees are pretty much on the honor system, according to a CM

We just spent 4 nights at the Beach Club. I did not want to pay for the parking fees because I don't agree with them, so I rented a car. We pulled into the hotel, dropped off the bags and I drove the car next door to the Dolphin and returned it. After 2 nights I checked my account and they had charged me for 2 nights parking. I told them I did not have a car and they took it off. I asked them if they would notate that I do not have a car so I wouldn't be charged anymore. The CM at the desk said she would try but was not sure. On the morning of checkout, I once again checked my account and there were 2 more charges. After telling them once again that I did not have a car they removed the charges. At no point in time was I ever asked if I had a car and I actually had the Magical Express booked for my family back to the airport. I think it is very shady of Disney to assume that I have a vehicle and make it my responsibility to catch the error. Twice. I wonder how many other people with multiple charges have been charged the fee in error and not noticed it.

I was never asked, but at both resorts from our last trip - I 'scanned' my magic band at the gate (to get it to raise so I could go through) and I *assumed* this was how they knew I had a car. Both times I was charged, but never asked if I had a car. I kind of wondered how they would 'monitor' it with the online checkin option - but, just assumed that was how. Maybe I'm alone in having scanned my magic band like I did?

Not really, the parking fee is only for those guests that take advantage of on-site parking. So think of it as a pay for use fee, don't use it and then you don't pay for it.

I always wonder when they will start charging for ME from / to the Airport.

Dave

So I guess for those guests who take advantage of the on-site pool and on-site towels should start paying extra as well? On many of our trips we don't take advantage of using the pool. So shouldn't we get a percentage off our nightly stay since we don't use it?? ...just say'in...

Not really, the parking fee is only for those guests that take advantage of on-site parking. So think of it as a pay for use fee, don't use it and then you don't pay for it.

I always wonder when they will start charging for ME from / to the Airport.

Dave

A few years ago that was a rumor that was floating around, and I figured it woudl never happen. Once they charge for DME, renting a car begins to become more financially equitable. If a guest has transportation onsite ther eis no way to trap all their vacation dollars.

IMHO they are not eager to do this, as the whole point of DME is to virtually ensure that guests spend all their money on property, rather than renting a car which allows easy access to more affordable stores and restaurants.

I agree. DME is the first phase of keeping all vacation spending within the confines of WDW resorts, restaurants and shops.

Just did a last minute stay @ POFQ for 2 nights.
Wondered how they were going to determine that we had a car parking overnight ?
Was it at the Guard Station ? No .
Was it at Check in ? no

Was it on our bill at check out ? No
Is it not charged because we are AP Holders or frequent guests?????
Was it because Disney Greed has limits ? Doubt it !

I guess it doesn't matter to me what they're doing at Disneyland or at the other Orlando resorts. Money grubbing and changing the rules to now charge for something that was previously free is gross. Charging because they can, because the guests don't have a choice. I feel the same way about resort fees. I get it, I don't have to like it.

But it's the people being charged for parking who didn't have a car that worries me. That is some SHADY business practices right there. Removing the charge willingly after I noticed it is not the same as running an honest business and not charging people for something they didn't get in the first place. Comcast/xfinity does that, it's made them very unpopular. I'm glad I read through this post, one more thing to be aware of come checkout time.

We did not pay to park our car at POR last week because we booked before the March date, but we did pay to park at YC as we decided last minute to do a split stay and, therefore, booked well after the March date.

I would not be surprised if they start charging for ME in the future. They already charge for transportation to/from the airport to Port Canaveral.

ETA: No one asked at either resort if we had a car.

We were never charged or asked at AOA when we stayed at the end of May.

We booked our WL in June way back in Sept 2017 so parking was still free...and as expected no charge was added.

Our daughter & her boyfriend stayed at All Star Sports in June also...they were never asked or charged for parking either. (they booked after charge took effect)

We did not pay to park our car at POR last week because we booked before the March date, but we did pay to park at YC as we decided last minute to do a split stay and, therefore, booked well after the March date.

I would not be surprised if they start charging for ME in the future. They already charge for transportation to/from the airport to Port Canaveral.

ETA: No one asked at either resort if we had a car.
Ditto to the bold

So I guess for those guests who take advantage of the on-site pool and on-site towels should start paying extra as well? On many of our trips we don't take advantage of using the pool. So shouldn't we get a percentage off our nightly stay since we don't use it?? ...just say'in...
I know you're joking, but they seem to keep adding more & more fees for things that used to be included. It's not outside the realm of possibility! The minnie vans, extra fastpasses, parking, mousekeeping....I think it's less that we'd get things cheaper for not using a service (I don't use ME) but more likely that they'll just keep adding charges if people are willing to pay them. It's how they make the $$$$$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter