Resort hopping without a dining res?

mynicknameismickey

Earning My Ears
I have a family trip planned from 11/27-12/4 of this year. We always LOVE going to the resorts and seeing the decorations during Christmas and stopping to grab a drink at any of the hotel bars. I understand that at this current moment, that is not allowed unless you have a dining reservation at that resort. Are there any rumors or indications of if or when that policy will be revoked?

Do you drive resort to resort or take Disney transportation? Because i've been stopped driving in but not from monorail or boats

Yeah, if you are using Disney transportation they don't check anything. It's only if you arrive at the security gates via car.

I just visited Boardwalk Friday via car and the security guard had no issue letting us in even though we didn't have a reservation. I think it's hit or miss.

We are taking disney transportation. stay at art of animation so will be taking the skyliner whenever we can but definitely want to go to places like geyser point and enchanted rose. i’d be willing to at least try based on your experience!

I've driven my car to other resorts frequently. In my experience if you give the guard a reason to be there, they will generally let you in unless there's no parking available which happened once. The usual reason I give is shopping at a resort store.

We are taking disney transportation. stay at art of animation so will be taking the skyliner whenever we can but definitely want to go to places like geyser point and enchanted rose. i’d be willing to at least try based on your experience!

You won't have a problem using Disney transportation or walking. We did Enchanted Rose, Tambu Lounge, and Abracadabar in May walking from the parks.

There are many ways to see the hotel without driving - if you end up at Epcot or Hollywood studios you can always walk to the resorts. If you end up at MK you can always walk to Contem, GF and also Poly. Coronado - just day you want to have lunch at the Bridges. Was just there in May - didn't have any problem resort hopping doing this method. If you want to take a car it gets a little more difficult.

I think this is more an issue at The Contemporary than anywhere else (because it's right next to MK and they are trying to prevent people from parking there and walking). It could be an issue at the monorail resorts too, but probably depends on how busy it is. But like everyone said, take Disney transportation and you won't have to worry.

A few years ago we spent the better part of a day visiting the resorts for holiday decorations. We started our day by taking a Disney bus to Disney Springs and getting breakfast at Earl of Sandwich. It opens at 9 and its nice and quiet over at Disney Springs at that time. We then walked to the bus depot and hopped a bus to Boardwalk. By the time we strolled through the Boardwalk and the resorts over there, we came back to DS for lunch. After that, we hopped on another bus and made our way over to the Contemporary and then took the monorail to the Poly then walked to GF. When we were done we hopped a bus back to DS and had dinner over there before returning to our resort. We really had a great time. And yes, we certainly spent some time on the bus, but it was a nice, stress-free day enjoying the resorts.

Yep - no problem visiting any resort you want, via any mode of Disney Transportation, any time you want. I usually spend several hours of my trips resort hopping - I was there last week and did just that - head out of my resort around noon, head over to 1-2 different resorts just to wander and take photos and relax, grab a quick lunch or afternoon tropical drink, then head into a park for the day - on the way out, I'd often go to another resort to enjoy a bar drink or two before heading back to my resort. I strongly prefer taking boats over busses, so a lot of my resort choices come from being able to get to the resort via boat, or to the park of the day via boat or walking from that resort (for MK, I often start by going to Wilderness Lodge, then boat over, and at the end of the evening, take the boat to Polynesian for Trader Sam's. For Epcot, I'll start at Boardwalk or Yacht Club, then walk or boat in, and on the way out, exit to those resorts for the night cap. To get back to my resort, just hop the Disney Springs bus and transfer from there).

one of my favorite things to do, always took Disney transportation , mrail, boats, buss, never had any issues.
take your fillup cup set outside , enjoy . Go to the shops and shop, go to the food courts, and try the different offers.
the only thing they don't want the peasants doing is using the pools, no problems using the stools, go figure.
Take a boat taxi from down town Disney to Port of Orleans to the food court and try the Cajun fried chicken. take a boat ride form studio
to beaches and cream and the boardwalk, and the resorts around there. Take boats from Magic Kingdom to the the resorts around the lake and try
Fort wilderness camp ground , catch a hay ride at night and many other things to see a do. the Indian relics in the fort wilderness lodge is worth the trip.
if ya go to magic kingdom about firework's time take a resort water taxi any where on the lake and see part of the show from the water, not real good but it is different. every resort has things to do and see.

For those driving cars,

I will say, if you are really worried about it, mobile order a soda(or something cheap) from the resort quick service before you get to the security gate and just say you are getting a food order that you already purchased. You can show them the order screen and everything if they ask. That's the (to this point) foolproof strategy we have to park at any resort whenever you want. Even Contemporary before fireworks time.
Granted, as others have said, you generally can just roll up and get in no issue whenever you want. Especially when you mention something like "we are going to Abracadabar" at the boardwalk or something. Places that are not predominately or at all reservations based (bars and lounges) are a great excuse.
Getting back to the Mobile Order thing,, unless the security wants to deny you purchasing/picking up your order, they kinda have to let you in. And $5 or less for the peace of mind can be worth it situationally.
(We usually do this at Saratoga to get into Disney springs when the garages are full, most common use for us)

For those driving cars,

I will say, if you are really worried about it, mobile order a soda(or something cheap) from the resort quick service before you get to the security gate and just say you are getting a food order that you already purchased. You can show them the order screen and everything if they ask. That's the (to this point) foolproof strategy we have to park at any resort whenever you want. Even Contemporary before fireworks time.
Granted, as others have said, you generally can just roll up and get in no issue whenever you want. Especially when you mention something like "we are going to Abracadabar" at the boardwalk or something. Places that are not predominately or at all reservations based (bars and lounges) are a great excuse.
Getting back to the Mobile Order thing,, unless the security wants to deny you purchasing/picking up your order, they kinda have to let you in. And $5 or less for the peace of mind can be worth it situationally.
(We usually do this at Saratoga to get into Disney springs when the garages are full, most common use for us)
Many resort QS, especially those at monorail resorts, will not permit mobile ordering unless you are already on the property.

Many resort QS, especially those at monorail resorts, will not permit mobile ordering unless you are already on the property.
Not in my experience at all. Probably done this 11 times at Monorail resorts in the last year and a half. But I guess that is anecdotal.
We always order right before we pull up to the gate.
However, I'm at old key west right now this morning and just ordered a pickle in a pouch for 1.99 from Contempo Cafe for pick up in 1:30 hours

It did not stop me in the App from purchasing. And I was able to cancel the order.

I've never run into it saying no yet. Unless the mobile order times are gone(never happens at resort QS for us)
But I guess this isn't a guarantee as it is technology based. But I feel its worth trying.

Last edited:

For the resort quick service locations that say mobile ordering is only available to guests of that specific resort, the security guards do not have to let you in to pick up your order. You knowingly placed the order when the warning popped up even though you aren't staying there. Mobile ordering isn't a guarantee they will let you in to park.

For the resort quick service locations that say mobile ordering is only available to guests of that specific resort, the security guards do not have to let you in to pick up your order. You knowingly placed the order when the warning popped up even though you aren't staying there. Mobile ordering isn't a guarantee they will let you in to park.
Again, I'm speaking anecdotally here. Years of doing this and never once even a question from security. Like, nothing. Ppl telling me I'm wrong "technically" is fine but not worth much if enforcement doesn't line up at all. Just trying to say what has consistently worked in practice. Its up to you to try it if you feel like it.
But hey, the less ppl who try it is better for me right?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter