Resort Choice - Fam of 6

bcbsmom

Earning My Ears
We’ve been to Disney with the Kids 2x @ stayed at POR (which we loved). This time travelling our 3 are now 19, 22 & 23, plus a boyfriend.
To keep the cost down we are debating between ASMU or The Cabins at Wilderness. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How do you feel about "the boyfriend" sharing a bed with your kid? Would they want (and would you be ok with) "privacy?"

With those two options, the easiest way for the couple to get some privacy would be a cabin, with you, your spouse, and the other two kids sharing the bedroom (1 queen and a set of bunkbeds) and the young couple sleeping on the pull out sofa in the living room. They would still lose the privacy if anyone came out of the bedroom to use the restroom or the kitchen area in the morning.

I would want the 2 bathrooms, so my vote would be for ASMu family suite. You do still have 2 'rooms' although your 3 'children' and boyfriend will be in the one room.

We have 6 as well and have done POR. My kids actually liked Pop Century better, have you thought about 2 rooms there? The remodeled rooms were nice and bathrooms better than POR. We are giving A of A a try this spring. Good luck!

You could also consider renting Disney Vacation Club points for a 2 bedroom at a Deluxe resort. With older kids, it would be nice to have the extra space and kitchen.

How do you feel about "the boyfriend" sharing a bed with your kid? Would they want (and would you be ok with) "privacy?"

With those two options, the easiest way for the couple to get some privacy would be a cabin, with you, your spouse, and the other two kids sharing the bedroom (1 queen and a set of bunkbeds) and the young couple sleeping on the pull out sofa in the living room. They would still lose the privacy if anyone came out of the bedroom to use the restroom or the kitchen area in the morning.
No, lol. It’s the youngest of the children. No privacy for them

I would get 2 rooms at the value. Have your daughter, boyfriend and 1 other "child" in one of the rooms and have you 2 plus the 3rd child in the other room. Everyone would have more room and a bit more privacy.

I would get 2 rooms at the value. Have your daughter, boyfriend and 1 other "child" in one of the rooms and have you 2 plus the 3rd child in the other room. Everyone would have more room and a bit more privacy.

Or better yet, put daughter or BF in the room with the parents and the other in the other room. Eliminate any possibility of the daughter and BF sending the other one out for "privacy".

Or better yet, put daughter or BF in the room with the parents and the other in the other room. Eliminate any possibility of the daughter and BF sending the other one out for "privacy".

Honestly, we would get a room for all 4 of the young people and have a room to ourselves. At this point of my life, I would not feel comfortable rooming with a stranger(the boyfriend). It is one thing sharing a room with your kids, but I need a bit of privacy. And the child and boyfriend are adults. At that age we were already moved out of the house and living with our boyfriends/girlfriends and going on vacations with them. I am sure that they are capable of not going at it like rabbits for the duration of the vacation. It is a bit hypocritical to "baby sit" adults, even if they are your children.

Honestly, we would get a room for all 4 of the young people and have a room to ourselves. At this point of my life, I would not feel comfortable rooming with a stranger(the boyfriend). It is one thing sharing a room with your kids, but I need a bit of privacy. And the child and boyfriend are adults. At that age we were already moved out of the house and living with our boyfriends/girlfriends and going on vacations with them. I am sure that they are capable of not going at it like rabbits for the duration of the vacation. It is a bit hypocritical to "baby sit" adults, even if they are your children.

The OP is the one who said "no privacy for them".

Price out the difference between two rooms at an All Star and the suite.
We have 5 going this year and are doing two rooms~ pretty sure two rooms was about the same price as a suite. I feel like it will give everyone a little more space, every one gets a 'real' bed (not a fold out couch), and two bathrooms.

We’ve been to Disney with the Kids 2x @ stayed at POR (which we loved). This time travelling our 3 are now 19, 22 & 23, plus a boyfriend.
To keep the cost down we are debating between ASMU or The Cabins at Wilderness. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

We have 4 young ones. 2 value rooms is the cheapest option. We’re doing Movies next month.

We are in the same boat and chose the cabins at FW. 5 of us in total, me, husband and daughters (12 & 20) and the elder's boyfriend. I'm cool w/ them sleeping on the couch and the little one (ha - 12) down the hall w/ us. I think the two older ones will feel more awkward than I am concerned about them sleeping on the pull out couch together after being in a park all day in the August heat. I've done one of the All Stars on a school band trip and didn't love it and the suites at AoA were pricer than the cabin. So, we will have to do with one bathroom. I was definitely not comfortable having a standard room w/ 5 of us sharing the same space. FW was the most affordable option for us.

One thing I love about FW is being able to take the boat to WL, MK, or Contemporary and also being able to jump on to the monorail at the contemporary. Buses inside FW are a little iffy but I guess we have to pick and chose our concerns.

Kind of judgemental. The OP has already said "no privacy" for the couple so the rest of us are going to respect that and try to help to manage the rooms dilemna.

OP- I would book two rooms at a value or moderate, however I would keep watch for a FD or RO offer to be released. I got a great deal for OKW 2 bdrim when FD was released last year. Normally we all share space well when we travel, so two rooms would be okay with us, however the savings we got, when coupled with the space...well that was awesome. It is a bit large, so travel was sometimes a challenge, however we used Lyft to get to dinner or back, and that was a lifesaver.

Kind of judgemental. The OP has already said "no privacy" for the couple so the rest of us are going to respect that and try to help to manage the rooms dilemna.

OP- I would book two rooms at a value or moderate, however I would keep watch for a FD or RO offer to be released. I got a great deal for OKW 2 bdrim when FD was released last year. Normally we all share space well when we travel, so two rooms would be okay with us, however the savings we got, when coupled with the space...well that was awesome. It is a bit large, so travel was sometimes a challenge, however we used Lyft to get to dinner or back, and that was a lifesaver.

Maybe it is judgmental. But I think that as a parent we sometimes have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that our children are adults and do not know how to transition into treating them as such. Sometimes when it is pointed out, maybe a person can rethink how to handle things. It would certainly make planning the trip a bit easier if you are not concerned with acting as a chaperone to 2 adults.

Maybe it is judgmental. But I think that as a parent we sometimes have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that our children are adults and do not know how to transition into treating them as such. Sometimes when it is pointed out, maybe a person can rethink how to handle things. It would certainly make planning the trip a bit easier if you are not concerned with acting as a chaperone to 2 adults.

Not to get too off topic, but as a parent I have every right to set boundaries under my "roof" no matter where that roof happens to be. If my adult children are not happy with said boundaries they need to make their own arrangements under their own "roof" where that happens to be. Here on the DIS, if someone asks for assistance in lodging choices that meet specific parameters, most of us just try to find the choices that meet those needs. WE do not feel the need to dissect the choices or criticize them. Unless I am asked I tend to keep my feedback to myself, whether in support of not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter