Reservation Modification Issues

Gingers

Earning My Ears
Hello. I created a plan through MDE for my family of five (my wife and I, our kids 5, 3, and 6 months). We are staying at Contemporary for 4 nights and will be visiting MK for 2 days with a pool day in between.

Recently we decided to bring a nanny along for the trip. I attempted to add her to the reservation by using the "Add Guest" button in MDE. She was not a connected guest so I entered her name and age. It didn't work so I called Disney and was told she couldn't be added without park tickets. I said that was fine and asked how much it would increase our hotel rate. I then bought her tickets through MDE but she was not yet linked to our hotel reservation. Now Disney is saying she can't be added to our plan and that she can't ride DME from the airport with us or get a luggage tag or a Magic Band. I've made multiple calls to Disney and all they can tell me is to show up with her at the hotel and they will work it all out there. I don't want to waste my vacation time standing around sorting this out.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can resolve this? I can see the account I created for her in MDE, but I don't have a way to plan for her or add her to "we're planning together." I am very frustrated and expected more from Disney customer support.

I'm also very keen to get her on our FastPasses, but they tell me nothing can be done for that either without visiting Guest Relations.

I can't be the only person to add an adult to their party at the relative (2 weeks) last minute, am I?

Help! Thank you!

Did you book a package? I thought changes to packages had to be done 30-45 days in advance of check in?

I was able to add 2 more people to our reservation...but it was around the 70 day mark.
I'm not sure i would have been successful if i had done it around the 30-45 day mark....mostly because the Magic Bands and Luggage tags are sent out at those times.

I did have to call to add the 2 more guests, but once they were added i was able to adjust our dining to include them on our reservations. (I added them before the FP date so that was no problem either)

Have you tried calling and asking to speak to a supervisor? If you are more than 45 days out...I think they can potentially help you. Good Luck

Hi. Thank you. We are less than 2 weeks from arrival. It is technically a package. I assumed it was easy to simply add another person, since it’s more money for Disney, but it seems strangely difficult. I will try to ask for a supervisor next time I call. How strict are the Magical Express bus drivers in terms of checking reservations? We have an infant on our reservation and she has a magic band. I wonder if we could give her magic band to the nanny so she can ride the bus with us? I’m trying to be creative here!

I would purchase a ticket for her now (separate from your package) add it to her profile in your MDE and make her Fast passes, she doesn't even need a room reservation to do this. If you have any dining reservations you should be able to add her now (no tickets necessary) if there is availability. IMHO she doesn't need her own MDE I would just add her as a guest to yours.

Then when you arrive at the resort, check in your party first and then the CM should be able to add her to your resort reservation - there will be an extra fee per night if she is over 18.

The only variable is DME; your supposed to be a resort guest to use the service and she wouldn't be on a reservation yet. You could try checking in at the podium and see if they will let her board.

If not you could then just order a ride share (especially if your using a car seat on the aircraft for the baby) and skip DME on the inbound so your sure everyone has a ride.

I would purchase a ticket for her now (separate from your package) add it to her profile in your MDE and make her Fast passes, she doesn't even need a room reservation to do this. If you have any dining reservations you should be able to add her now (no tickets necessary) if there is availability. IMHO she doesn't need her own MDE I would just add her as a guest to yours.

Then when you arrive at the resort, check in your party first and then the CM should be able to add her to your resort reservation - there will be an extra fee per night if she is over 18.

The only variable is DME; your supposed to be a resort guest to use the service and she wouldn't be on a reservation yet. You could try checking in at the podium and see if they will let her board.

If not you could then just order a ride share (especially if your using a car seat on the aircraft for the baby) and skip DME on the inbound so your sure everyone has a ride.

Thank you! Yes I’ve already purchased her ticket and I think that’s where I went wrong. I probably should’ve added her to the package but I misunderstood the customer service person on the phone and just bought a two day park pass for her separately and linked it to her account. I’ve already tested adding her to dining reservations and that is working fine. So I guess at this point I’ll see if we can sweet talk our way onto DME so she doesn’t have to ride share separately. I like the baggage service with DME so I’m definitely keeping my family on that. Oh and yes I know she’ll be subject to a nightly charge at the hotel. I’m more than fine with that. I was just hoping to get it all taken care of before arrival.

I’ll see if she can make her own fast passes but my guess is she won’t be able to snag the same rides at the same times. I’m hoping Guest Services can help us with that.

Thank you for the help, folks!

See if you can get an email confirming the nanny is on your reservation between now and departure day and with it in hand she can probably join you on the MDE.
I doubt she'll be able to get the same rides at the same times as the rest of your party even with the assistance of Guest Services but maybe you'll get some pixie dust. Also depends on the booked rides' popularity.

As for the mistakenly purchased park tickets I'd try to "sweet talk" Guest Services into converting them into adding the nanny to the existing package OR depending on the cost, put the tickets to the side for a different trip and just add her to the plan everyone else is on.

Sounds like you've already added her to your ADRs so that's a good thing.

If she isn't on the package and at this point you don't want her to be because you bought tickets, then they can't add her. You will have to wait until you get there. Everyone on the package has to have the same entitlements. Magical Express checks you in before you are allowed on a bus. You could call ME directly and see if you can get her added.

If she has a ticket and a MDE account she should be looking for FP+ Now!! Anytime in the same window as the rest of the party would work. I would suggest being very proactive on this as you really can't count on guest services.

You can not add her to your package that simply isn't an option after a certain time frame so purchasing the ticket now was a good decision. Once you check in though you have "fulfilled" your package requirements and can add her to the reservation at that time.

The only issue is DME and you won't know if she can ride the bus until you check in at the podium.

Last edited:
Recently we decided to bring a nanny along for the trip. I attempted to add her to the reservation by using the "Add Guest" button in MDE. She was not a connected guest so I entered her name and age. It didn't work so I called Disney and was told she couldn't be added without park tickets.

What room category did you book? Does it have max occupancy to allow you to add another person? Most rooms at Contemporary are max 5 (plus an infant) so you should be OK; you'll be charged the extra adult fee (is it $35 at deluxe). However, I believe the Garden Wing Deluxe Rooms are max 4 (plus an infant). If you booked that room category, you will NOT be able to add the nanny to your room. If that's the case, you need to try to find alternative accommodations -- either adjust your reservation to a room for 5+infant, or find a separate room for the nanny.

Assuming your room category can take another guest, it sounds like the phone CM messed up. She knew you wanted to add the nanny to your room, said you would also need to add tickets (due to the package) but then only sold you tickets. Honestly, I'd get on the phone and keep pushing this up. WDW messed it up by not adding her to your package and only selling you tickets for the extra person. Alternatively, explain at the ME desk that you intend to add her to the room and hope they'll make an exception. But regardless, you need to deal with the FP+ situation now rather than waiting. Guest Relations is not likely to get her onto your FPs after you arrive. Try to get her something overlapping. Keep checking back, even when in the parks, to see if you can adjust it better.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter