• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resaurant subs for picky autistic eaters?

Shadowcat70

Mouseketeer
Our family is making our first trip to WDW next year and we would like to at least have one nice sit-down meal while we are there but I am facing some frustration with the menus. Our son will be 10 by the time that we go and he is on the "autism diet" (chicken nuggets or fried fish sticks/fried shrimp only). None of the sit-down restaurants I have looked at have anything remote like that for a meal choice.

He would REALLY love to eat at the Sci-Fi dinner because of the decor and the souvenir kids drinks he saw pictures of, but without an adult chicken nuggets meal we couldn't go. Does Disney make meal requests like that? Could we make an ADR and request a special meal for him?

Thanks in advance!

does he do grilled cheese, that is one we have had good luck requesting.

bookwormde

Send an email to specialdiets@disneyworld.com. Explain your son's dietary requirements and the restaurants you'd like to dine at. They should be able to help you out by contacting the chefs with the list of foods your son will eat. That way they can have those items on hand. Chicken nuggets are at a lot of the CS restaurants, but TS places usually don't have them. I haven't seen fish sticks, but Brown Derby has tempura battered fish strips on the kids menu. My DS8 loved them. Columbia Harbor House at MK has fried shrimp, but it's a CS. The ESPN Club at the Boardwalk had chicken nuggets on the menu when we were there in June.

I would suggest not getting the DDP. If you are buying out of pocket you would have no problem in ordering a children's meal for him. The only time you would have to pay full adult price is for buffets.

I just wanted to say good luck. It is so interesting how our Autistic kids each have their own special diets. Mines is on the wet and slimy diet. She has put wait staff into tears for the concept of no unbreaded shrimp on the kids menu several times. My all time favorite though was in Carrabbas (SP?) when she ordered spicy chicken soup, She sent it back for not being spicy enough. Disney is the best though if you give them advance warning as previous poster explained they will help you as much as they can.

B

PS I dont recommend sci fi dine in. You would end up siting behind him most likely.

Thank you for all the great replies. We are doing just the QSDP mostly because of the chicken nugget preference. :) We thought about upgrading to the regular DP, but after taking a look at the menus we figured out right away that it just wasn't for us. And nuggets is pretty much it, no grilled cheese or anything else at all.

Thank you for the email, I will contact them and see what they suggest. With all the nuggets served around the parks, I can't imagine them not being able to acquire some.

My autistic DS 15 is strictly chicken nuggets and french fries....& not always so keen on the nuggets as much as the fries, which can sometimes be extra challenging :) so I hear you on this!

We were on the DDP on our last trip and for the most part were able to choose restaurants that could get food for him. My memory is that a lot of the menus include chicken nuggets, either on the kid menu or chicken strips on the adult menu.

The ones that could NOT help us were non-American type food restaurants like Biergarten. We knew that in advance and tried to plan (hoped that we could get DS to eat bratwurst or something, haha), but it turns out that the America pavillion is pretty far from Germany, and my daughters got caught out in the ONLY rain storm of our trip on their mission to get dinner food for their brother.

I'm sure that you have scoured the menus on allears, but my memory is that Boma & Crystal Palace for sure have the nuggets at the buffet. We also had our waitress at Hollywood & Vine run next door to get fries, so they definitely try to help out when they can.

Good luck with your planning! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter