• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resale vs Direct

I'm not crazy about basing break even on AP savings, but I've seen and done other calculations that break even around a dozen years (so we're in the same ballpark). Sounds kinda bad when you say it that way, but that's about 30 years of profit (which in my case of buying retail, new is over $50,000 profit over 50 years)

Coincidentally it can be around a dozen years to "break even" owning DVC vs. renting points every year, so I'd make sure we're talking about the same thing here. That's a "rent vs. buy" calc. When OP's already decided to buy and is debating direct vs. resale, AP savings and discounts (the "perks" of buying direct) are all we have to base a theoretical "break even" on for those 75 direct points.

Whether there even is a break even or not would depend on how many APs you buy, if you'd be buying them otherwise or not, how much you spend on merchandise/dining/etc. at Disney, and also where you're buying (there's lots of resorts where the gap between direct and resale is larger than $50/pt). Lots of variables.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter