Resale prices

Franzenel

Mouseketeer
when you are looking at the different resale brokers do most people just pay what they are asking or do you counter offer and if you did counter offer how much below the asking price did you go and what did they finally accept?
Thanks

The brokers aren't setting the price, the owner is. The owner has to accept your offer, the broker is just the middle man relaying info between seller and buyer.

:earsboy: Bill

With our first AKL contract they were asking 83 and we offered 77. Countered and accepted at 79 per point. Disney ROFR'd though and we lost it.

This contract they were asking $85 and we offered 80. Countered and accepted at $83 per point. Disney passed ROFR 8 days later. We're just waiting to close now.

Have you looked at the ROFR thread? That will give you an idea of what people have been paying over the last several months.

But keep in mind that every contact is unique - some have banked points, some are "stripped" (have no banked or current use year points left) and some can't close for several months (owner taking one last vacatin). Also, everything is negotiable - price per point, who pays / reimburses dues, etc.

Also, each owner is different. An owner who needs the full amount listed to pay off a loan might not be up for much of a discount. An owner who already has priced his contract at a low and fair price might wait for an offer that is at list. An owner who doesn't have a loan and just wants to get the sale done with might entertain a truly lowball offer.

Generally, the larger the contract the harder it is to sell, while contracts of less than 100 points move quickly. I wouldn't expect someone selling a 25 point contract to negotiate at all, but someone selling a 500 point contract might sell right at the ROFR line.

We paid full price for our 25 point contract. We tried to negotiate on an earlier 25 point contract and the broker wouldn't even bring the offer to the owners.

You most likeLy won't ever find a loaded 25 point contract either.

Yeah we are looking at about 160 points at AKL. I understand all owners are different I was trying to get an idea if it was common practice to offer a little lower. Thanks for the info.

In my opinion it is common practice to offer a little lower, but as the other posts have indicated your mileage may vary based on the circumstances surrounding the seller and the contract.

When prices were lower in 2013, we purchased 2 contracts and offered asking price (both 100 points or under contracts). We just closed on a 30 point add on. Listed at $120 & we offered $105. Seller accepted. We tried negotiating on a few other small contracts and the sellers were firm and another the broker refused to present anything lower than asking (not a company I would want to do business with anyway). We were not in a hurry to add on & had an idea of what we wanted to spend. I would only buy if it was a significant saving over direct.

Last Jan, I offered full price on a semi-loaded 160 AKV contract, b/c it had just been listed and it was the use year we wanted. It was a $2 more than non-loaded contracts being offered. We planned to use the loaded points, which I valued at $6. I probably could have offered $1-2 less, but it was worth it to me to know I had the contract, esp. as I was then in the 10 mth booking window for Christmas and wanted to ensure that I closed prior to 7 mths. DVC was also exercising a lot of ROFR, and I was nervous about going too low, as well.
As a seller, I put my stripped 50 points contract up for a then premium price of $95, got an offer for $90 and countered with $93--sold. My bottom line was $90. Most 100+ point contracts were selling for $85.
If you are not is a rush and don't care about UY, and it's not a loaded contract, I would offer $2-3 less than asking price.

It's a real estate sale-- you can offer whatever you want. The agent is bound to present your offer to the owner. I don't think the ROFR process is necessarily based on price, rather if DVC has a purchaser on the list for the exact contract you are purchasing. They don't speculate.

It depends upon the rarity of the contract and if the buyer really wants those points and u/y. We offered $5 per point below asking and ended up $2 points below asking. At the time it seems like and ok deal, now a few months later it is a great deal!

I got lucky on my resale purchase a couple of years ago. I happened to contact a broker to see if they had any 150-200 pt SSR contracts available with a June UY and a low price point. They told me (stupidly on their part IMHO) that they had one with 200 pts and an owner had it listed for $65 and had accepted an offer at $50 but the buyer backed out at the last minute. They told me to put in an offer for $50, so we did, and it was accepted. Keep in mind this was a couple years ago when the US economy was in the toilet and resale prices were MUCH lower.

I can't help myself but think what the owner would say if they knew the broker told me they had already had an accepted offer $15 below asking that fell through. I know I would be miffed if it was me!!

As others have said, most brokers will take offers to the sellers. I am also of the belief that each contract is unique. I also believe that the value of a contract is the value to me, not to the seller. I know what Use Year, contract size, and point availability works for me and I set my offer based on that. Both times I purchased a contract (I am using that loosely because my second contract is still in ROFR) I just made offers until I found the right contract with a seller who was in my ballpark.

Good luck!

With our first AKL contract they were asking 83 and we offered 77. Countered and accepted at 79 per point. Disney ROFR'd though and we lost it.

This contract they were asking $85 and we offered 80. Countered and accepted at $83 per point. Disney passed ROFR 8 days later. We're just waiting to close now.
I paid $79 back in May. Bough AK again in October and it had jumped to $91!!!

I'm Comparing a few different comtracts. All pretty dang identical. One has a dif use year but they are still both use years that I'd be happy with. However the list prices range between 88-96 per point so I am torn on what to offer. Offering 85 on the 88 contract wouldn't be too crazy but that's a big price dif if I offered that on the one listed at 96 even though it's for the same amt of points and uy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter