• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

resale or from Disney

He told me I can get a studio at BLT frim 10/5-10/12/2013. That was with me buying at AKL
Yup, your DVC guide (i.e. salesman) has the ability to book something that you won't be able to once you are a DVC member.

Using the DVC member website, I assure you that not a single night is available at a BLT Studio for the period being discussed.

Your guide is not lying but he's also not telling you the entire story either. As the buyer, it's up to you to do the necessary research and we're here to help!!

Yup, your DVC guide (i.e. salesman) has the ability to book something that you won't be able to once you are a DVC member.

Using the DVC member website, I assure you that not a single night is available at a BLT Studio for the period being discussed.

Your guide is not lying but he's also not telling you the entire story either. As the buyer, it's up to you to do the necessary research and we're here to help!!

Thank you. I have trying to read around found out as much as I can. The Husband is thinking more after 12 years. Buy at todays price use it a few times over the next 12 years and then once he retires our travel wil be around the kids school calendar and that we would know 7 or 11 montjs out.

Agreed. There is ZERO availability to a member, any member, right now at BLT for the month of October at a studio, booking through the member website. Select nights for the other accomodations.

So I agree where he might be able to get you one this year, next year, if you wait till 3 to 5 months out, you won't be so lucky.

Thank you. I have trying to read around found out as much as I can. The Husband is thinking more after 12 years. Buy at todays price use it a few times over the next 12 years and then once he retires our travel wil be around the kids school calendar and that we would know 7 or 11 montjs out.

If you think you definitely want to buy, this is something to consider. Since obviously you will have your DVC timeshare for years to come. Buy today, and use as you can.

And don't forget, even if you have an idea of when you want to travel, you can always book at 7 or 11 months out, and then cancel if it doesn't work out. But at least you have it booked. Then if you can make it, you're golden!

OP, please do not make a decision to purchase DVC based on one reservation the DVC salesman can get you. It's a lot of money to spend and with your limitations for the next 12 years.

And when you say you're going to buy AKV because of the "extra perks" what exactly are you talking about? Are you talking about being able to use the points for crusing or at other Disney resorts? Because those so-called perks require a large number of points and require you to book fairly early too.

Is the only reason you're buying AKV because that was what the salesman led you to believe was the only resort available (other than VGF)? Because it's not. You could buy ANY of the resorts either via resale or directly from Disney, you just have to be insistent about what you want. Though you'd probably first have to really know what you want, which you don't appear to right now. Slow down, read about the program and really examine which resort would be right for you for use and financially.

Unless you are purchasing at AKV, buying direct is a bit of a hassle right now. Most WDW DVCs (BLT, BCV, BWV, and VWL) have lengthy waiting lists. From what people are reporting, buying resale at these resorts might actually be faster.

I cant see that its easier going through the ROFR process . For a first time buyer that isn't looking for a specific UY I doubt it will take longer then ROFR the back and forth negotiating , and possibly not clearing ROFR . Plus in my experience they were selling AKV , Aulaini , it was as simple as me saying id like to do SSR and my guide said oh I can do that too . I know you didn't mention SSR and obviously those other resorts are smaller . But I know my friends parents added on BCV no problem you just have to ask . They wont tell you .

He told me I can get a studio at BLT frim 10/5-10/12/2013. That was with me buying at AKL

Oh yikes! That is not typical. When we were considering buying first DVC contract, the guide reserved us a room at 4mths for a resort that was fully booked for points. It's a one-time thing. I'm stunned at how hard it is to book even at 7mths out for some resorts.

I'm pretty new to DVC, but there is some really good advice here from veterans and I would agree with them that this doesn't sound like a good plan for your situation right now...

I cant see that its easier going through the ROFR process . For a first time buyer that isn't looking for a specific UY I doubt it will take longer then ROFR the back and forth negotiating , and possibly not clearing ROFR . Plus in my experience they were selling AKV , Aulaini , it was as simple as me saying id like to do SSR and my guide said oh I can do that too . I know you didn't mention SSR and obviously those other resorts are smaller . But I know my friends parents added on BCV no problem you just have to ask . They wont tell you .
Not sure when your parent's friends added on to BCV. Right now, there's a several months long waiting list there. There even are threads devoted to it.:)

It's a relatively recent phenomenon created largely when Disney announced price increases at nearly every resort in March 2013. Normally buying direct is much faster. It still is at some resorts.

I'll take going through a few weeks of ROFR to save several thousand dollars.

Unless you are purchasing at AKV, buying direct is a bit of a hassle right now. Most WDW DVCs (BLT, BCV, BWV, and VWL) have lengthy waiting lists. From what people are reporting, buying resale at these resorts might actually be faster.

The only hassle in buying on the secondary market is it takes a little longer. For somweone like me, who has no patience, that is indeed a hassle. In hindsight, though, I see zero real value in buying direct. I would have paid over twice the price to aquire extra privileges that I would have never used. Indeed, any savvy DVCer will tell you that using your points to pay for cruises, etc., is not a wise or efficient use of your points and you are better off renting your points and using the money to pay cash for the cruise. And, while you should avoid financing your DVC purchase, I'd point out that Disney charges a ridiculous interest rate. No offense to BestDadEver, because the real question is what is right for BestDadEver, and what is right for YOU. For ME, I was going to buy direct until I realized it would have been a ginormously huge mistake for ME.

The direct market has changed significantly since you bought. After the March webcast, direct prices at all resorts went up. In advance of this impending price increase, buyers came out of the woodwork and got on the wait list for almost all of the resorts. I have negotiated a deal, cleared ROFR, closed and made a reservation on two SSR contracts in the time that others have been on the wait list. So I can't really agree with you that buying direct is any quicker than buying resale right now.

With all due respect to your situation, I think the fact that you financed your purchase is influencing your perspective here. It doesn't appear that you are paying significantly more for your direct SSR than my resale SSR because the extra cost per point and interest charges are carefully hidden within the monthly payments. I bet that if you had to write a check for the difference at closing, you might be a little more concerned by the $65-75 per point difference between SSR direct and SSR resale. I'm all for paying a premium for convenience, but paying double is unreasonable in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter