• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resale = No DVC Perks?

Interesting. Now help me out here because her "guide" also gave her this information. That she will have to find an attorney in Florida and travel there to sign documents, and closing could cost up to 10,000? Is this just them spewing garbage so she finalizes with DVC??

Spewing garbage. When I bought my 2 resales the only time I had to leave my house was to go the bank to get a cashier's check which I mailed to the attorney that works with the resale agency. Closing costs were about $600 or $700.

PLEASE NOTE - In a bad mood today so I am ranting.

Disney is not your friend, they will do what they can to take your money while smiling at you. They made the resale restrictions, they delay resale closings, they control everything to push you to buy their inflated price direct contracts. If you understand this and buy direct, that's your decision but an informed, educated buyer will be a happy owner. While owning DVC may save you money on your room, you will probably end up spending more on your vacations. Disney is very good at making things seem like a good deal but if they were losing money on it it wouldn't be offered. The DDP, AP's, gift cards, and TIW, all result in guests leaving money on the table.

Disney still is a great place to vacation but they are actively more than ever, changing the way that they do business. Constantly making changes to squeeze a little more money from you and coming up with ways to increase attendance which results in more people and a less enjoyable experience for many. MDE and MB's are designed to help people spend money faster, online check in is designed to have you bypass the front desk because they don't want to spend money to see you. If you understand this and and enjoy the changes then again great. :flower1:

:earsboy: Bill

Last edited:
Interesting. Now help me out here because her "guide" also gave her this information. That she will have to find an attorney in Florida and travel there to sign documents, and closing could cost up to 10,000? Is this just them spewing garbage so she finalizes with DVC??

Garbage with a capital G!

As others mentioned just adding on 25 points direct after the purchase will get all the direct benefits. I believe you are looking at BLT and there might be a little wait for direct points but you'll be able to get them and match up to the BLT contract.

Your mother's guide is just trying to keep the sale and apparently is willing to use scare tactics. There are a lot of people here who have purchase resale and know the in's and out's.

Yes I am so confused. It's one thing to stretch the truth to get her to stay with direct but outright lying to her about these things is really getting on my nerves. Very bad look for Disney right there. I mean anything to keep a commission, I get it, but this is too much.

@Matty B13 , she called me after speaking to the guide and said he told her all sorts of wonderful things about the CCV. We have our own pool, we have our own bag check before we go on the boat (please tell me this is true and we don't have to go main gate bag check because yuck), that soon they are building a DVC lounge there as well, and that it's a great place to own at. I am not denying that, but 178 a point is what is killing me right now. When we can go resale and get more for less. The WL is a lovely resort, we just really fell in love at BLT. So now she's thinking we will just stay put, especially since we have a confirmed reservation for Sept at CCV, and we may keep it or in 6 days she can see if we can move it. Blah, I just don't want to pass up the resale with all those points!

Oh - and no bag check at the boat launch the last we were there. Once you get off the boats at MK there is a check right there. The "lounge" is really an unknown exactly what it's going to be but seems to be coming up as a pay to play type situation and will likely be available for anyone staying there. Even if to start they have it just CCV owners it would change once they are done selling just as TOTWL did at BLT.

I suggest your mother just cancel and if she does decide to do a small direct add on after buying resale then ask for a new guide too. Don't let one single reservation keep you locked in to something that is costing more. You probably could buy the BLT resale and pay cash and at the worst come out even or possibly still ahead of the game. Or once you close on the resale you can work a bit to replace that Sept reservation or rent out the extra points and pay cash with them. It's the worst thing to stick with a direct purchase that you may own for 50 years just based on 1 trip when something else will work better thru resale.

We have bought 3 resale contracts and 1 direct contract in the past 2 years, didn’t once step out of my house to sign or send a contract. Only trip I had to make was to the bank to wire money to the closing companies.

PLEASE NOTE - In a bad mood today so I am ranting.

Disney is not your friend, they will do what they can to take your money while smiling at you. They made the resale restrictions, they delay resale closings, they control everything to push you to buy their inflated price direct contracts. If you understand this and buy direct, that's your decision but an informed, educated buyer will be a happy owner. While owning DVC may save you money on your room, you will probably end up spending more on your vacations. Disney is very good at making things seem like a good deal but if they were losing money on it it would be offered. The DDP, AP's, gift cards, and TIW, all result in guests in leaving money on the table.

Disney still is a great place to vacation but they are actively more than ever, changing the way that they do business. Constantly making changes to squeeze a little more money from you and coming up with ways to increase attendance which results in more people and a less enjoyable experience for many. MDE and MB's are designed to help people spend money faster, online check in is designed to have you bypass the front desk because they don't want to spend money to see you. If you understand this and and enjoy the changes then again great. :flower1:

:earsboy: Bill

I completely agree with you. Just wanted to add on that it is the way of the whole world lately. Companies like Disney, Amazon, and Google do a better job than others of hiding it, but that is a large part of their success.

Okay so my mom just spoke to her guide about changing her mind about direct purchase, and he said that if we go resale that we don't get access to DVC events and special discounts. Is that true?
As others have said, this is true.
Could it cost "up to" $10,000. Since closing costs are based on the purchase, sure it could cost up to $10,000. Will it? Probably not. But in truth, saying it could cost up to a price is the truth. Companies say things like that all of the time. Think of the last time you looked at a clothing catalog. The page shouts, "As low as $8.99." You look and find that one, small item, plain without print or stripes is $8.99, everything else on the page is over $25. The page didn't lie. The shopper needs to simply beware.

Also, you are hearing this second hand. I've had very honest people tell others what I said, and it just wasn't. What I said, that is.

I believe people have to remember that the "guide" is doing a job. And their job isn't to convince the buyer to buy from someone else.

I also would say find another guide, the 2 that I have dealt with have been fairly honest and straight forward and didn't lie to me. I thought the second guide worked a little harder to find me the points at the right resort and UY I wanted.

Tell your mother to tell the guide, good old Wakey here, in the West Riding of Yorkshire (God’s own country as it’s known), a good few thousand miles away from Florida, across a large expanse of water known as the Atlantic, bought his resale and :

1. Never had to come to Florida.
2. Never hired a lawyer.
3. Never saw a guide, ever.
4. Did everything by email with a licensed real estate broker.
5. Signed less paperwork compared to buying direct.
6. Found the whole process very easy.
7. Paid around $600 closing.
8. Saved a ton of money.

Last edited:
Tell your mother to tell the guide, good old YorkshireT here, in the West Riding of Yorkshire (God’s own country as it’s known), a good few thousand miles away from Florida, across a large expanse of water known as the Atlantic, bought his resale and :

2. Never hired a lawyer.
8. Saved a ton of money.

And then tell her to ask for a different, more honest, guide.

I may be wrong but I believe that your resale points can't be used for cruiseline or other non DVC resorts and the 25 point add on won't be enough to cover stays at those, so you will loose out on that option.

Plus with resale, your only buying the remainder of that contract, not 50 years like you get from Disney?

I may be wrong but I believe that your resale points can't be used for cruiseline or other non DVC resorts and the 25 point add on won't be enough to cover stays at those, so you will loose out on that option.

Plus with resale, your only buying the remainder of that contract, not 50 years like you get from Disney?

Resale or direct has no bearing on contract length, that's the resort you buy.
Points for cruises and non Disney resorts are generally terrible use of points. Plenty of advice on that in here.

Tell your mother to tell the guide, good old Wakey here, in the West Riding of Yorkshire (God’s own country as it’s known), a good few thousand miles away from Florida, across a large expanse of water known as the Atlantic, bought his resale and :

2. Never hired a lawyer.
8. Saved a ton of money.

I live in Australia and had the same experience - did the whole thing without entering the USA let alone Florida. I did have to Skype with someone once for tax purposes as I was a foreign buyer and it turned out to be a foreign seller but the broker set all that up for me to get the extra paperwork done by someone who was qualified - only $25 extra for her services. The broker represents both buyer and seller and they’re all upfront with how it works, which lawyer they use who I sent the money to etc (and if they’re not forthcoming with information go somewhere else there’s plenty of choices). Good luck.

Yes I am so confused. It's one thing to stretch the truth to get her to stay with direct but outright lying to her about these things is really getting on my nerves. Very bad look for Disney right there. I mean anything to keep a commission, I get it, but this is too much.

@Matty B13 , she called me after speaking to the guide and said he told her all sorts of wonderful things about the CCV. We have our own pool, we have our own bag check before we go on the boat (please tell me this is true and we don't have to go main gate bag check because yuck), that soon they are building a DVC lounge there as well, and that it's a great place to own at. I am not denying that, but 178 a point is what is killing me right now. When we can go resale and get more for less. The WL is a lovely resort, we just really fell in love at BLT. So now she's thinking we will just stay put, especially since we have a confirmed reservation for Sept at CCV, and we may keep it or in 6 days she can see if we can move it. Blah, I just don't want to pass up the resale with all those points!
The bag check is separate but after you get off the boat. It was a big improvement from the past. We have been members at VWL (now BRV) for several years now and love the resort and recent improvements. There are several pros/cons to both BLT & CCV. If you are indifferent about which resort you stayed at I'd suggest BLT resale but if the pro's of CCV are significant to you. Even if you prefer staying at WL you probably good even with BLT points all but the during the month of December as that it it's premiere booking season.

If they bought CCV resale they would get the same amount of years as buying direct. There are a couple out there on the resale market. But does it make sense money wise? Most likely not where the prices are now?

Last edited:

2. Never hired a lawyer.
8. Saved a ton of money.

Same deal here from Canada!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter