• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resale after purchasing direct from Disney.

bazbirjis

DisneyFan4ever
Hi All,

We are DVC members since 2017, and I think I am falling into an addiction to adding points ( guilty me) I never purchased resale, so my question now is, will resale affect the amenities that I get from direct buying? or will adding resale points not make any changes? I am confused at this point and need some guidance. We have like 430 points and I am looking into adding 200 plus more depending on the attractiveness of the resale contract. Any insight or help will be truly appreciated. Thanks in Advance :)

Birjis.

Doesn’t change anything! Now your resale points will be restricted from being able to access the new resorts. Besides that, you shouldn’t see much of a difference

If you are eligible for membership extras, having a resale contract as well does not impact that.

However, the resale points wkll have restrictions and be blocked from booking at RIV, VDH and presumably all future resorts, even though your current points work everywhere.

If you bought resale RIV, those can only be used there.

Last edited:
If I understand your question - once you qualify for the Member "blue card" and get the benefits of direct membership, it won't matter how many resale points you add on. 2 things I can think of to keep in mind. 1) If you decide to sell the direct and keep the resale points in the future, you could potentially lose blue card privileges. 2) the resale points won't be eligible for certain reservations outside the Disney resorts and the newer resorts - some of those reservations are only done with "blue card" points. But if most of your time is at DVC resorts, you'll be solid with your membership benefits! But beware - 200 points today..... 100 more tomorrow..... 250 more later......!!

Adding resale does not affect your Membership Extras eligibility. We get our perks with our little 85 point PVB direct contract. We would lose benefits if we sold that contract unless we had another contract at the minimum number of points to make us "blue card" eligible.

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate everyone's insight. One more question I did not mention in my initial post was, can I combine both resale and direct points towards ABD( Adventures By Disney) and international Disney resorts?

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate everyone's insight. One more question I did not mention in my initial post was, can I combine both resale and direct points towards ABD( Adventures By Disney) and international Disney resorts?
Trades into ABD using resale points was eliminated back in 2012.

You would generally be able to use far fewer points by renting your points out and using the $$ you get from renting to just pay cash for ABD or an international resort, and that’s true regardless of direct or resale.

You would generally be able to use far fewer points by renting your points out and using the $$ you get from renting to just pay cash for ABD or an international resort, and that’s true regardless of direct or resale.
omg, what a marvelous idea! Thanks so much I hope this won't get into buying more points. How many of you have rented points? that is also tempting in its own way when you get a good bang for your bucks :)

I have around 1000 direct and 3000 resale.

I rent enough to pay the dues on the whole amount. I can use my direct points for Riveria etc and Adventures by Disney

I cant use resale points for ABD or to book at new resorts such as RIV

omg, what a marvelous idea! Thanks so much I hope this won't get into buying more points. How many of you have rented points? that is also tempting in its own way when you get a good bang for your bucks :)

If your hope is not buying more points my best advice is to deactivate your Disboards account. Erase all browsing history and delete all favourites.

We are a group of enablers! Look forward to seeing you on the ROFR thread! :groom:

I have around 1000 direct and 3000 resale.

I rent enough to pay the dues on the whole amount. I can use my direct points for Riveria etc and Adventures by Disney

I can't use resale points for ABD or to book at new resorts such as RIV
omg that's so awesome! Now I don't feel too guilty about getting more points :) if you don't mind me asking, how do you rent your points? through a company or direct?

If your hope is not buying more points my best advice is to deactivate your Disboards account. Erase all browsing history and delete all favourites.

We are a group of enablers! Look forward to seeing you on the ROFR thread! :groom:
I have so many mixed emotions reading this, as long as I and fam get to enjoy rest all good :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter