Report horrible service? (this has been resolved)

I had horrible service back in 2012 at Crystal Palace and reported it when I got home. The bad thing was I used TiW and he got a $9 tip that he did not deserve. They sent me a gift card for one meal. Fast forward until 2017 when we went to Via Napoli and the same bad service happened again. Including the waiter grabbing my arm with my magic band on it to pay for the meal. I was not going to leave there with him getting that tip this time. I spoke to a manager and the meal was compensated and his tip was returned to my account. I think the manager compensated the meal mainly because he grabbed my arm like he did. I just wanted the tip back. I have stopped telling people we have TiW now. I have yet to go back to Crystal Palace but my daughter has to eat at Via Napoli every single time even though I don't want to (she is grown and pays for the meal). I am going solo in September/October and will be skipping both again. I would report it no matter how long it has been.

Who cares what others may or may not have done under similar circumstances. If you feel strongly enough about the situation, by all means make your feelings known. I don't tend to look for excuses or reasons why a restaurant has a bad day, it's their job to convince me to return and if they do that with food and service, I'll be back. If not, there are too many other restaurants in the area to give a bad dining experience a second chance anytime soon. Good luck!

I usually would only bother if I thought something could be changed, ie the server being trained better; or if I believe I deserve some sort of compensation (never actually been that upset, thankfully).

It sounds like a terrible experience so do what gives you some peace of mind, whether that be reporting it or just letting it go!

I wish I had gone to Guest Services after the meal to report this, but we were tired and had a Soarin' FP to get to so I decided against it (plus I was with DD1 and didn't want to ruin her trip by going and complaining about service).

It stinks you had bad service but I probably wouldn't bother complaining at this point. What would you hope to get out of it now that you're back from the trip?

I actually understand not reporting it to the manager on the spot. Sometimes you are just done and you don't want to wait ANOTHER half and hour to speak to the manager. You just want to pay and get on with your vacation and are not worried about "getting something out of it". Also for me sometimes if an experience is bad enough, and I am upset enough, I am afraid of making a scene if I say anything at all so I just bite my tongue and move on.

If your goal is to provide feedback and maybe have the management give this server a little re-training, then yes, I would send an email or something to guest services outlining your experience.

I am about to send an email to guest services. I do realize I could have done a lot of things differently in the situation, but making me feel bad about not doing those things is a moot point. In the moment you do what you do whether that is what someone else would have done or not. I don't want him fired, I don't want any kind of compensation, I would like for him to learn from this and with a little re-training learn to give guests the service that should be expected from Disney.

OP, I sent an Email to Disney after I got home to compliment an employee’s good service. And I figure if people can write after they get home to give praise, they should be allowed to complain too.

I totally get that there are times when you don’t want to complain in the moment. Enjoying time spent with your young daughter without the unpleasantness of discussing service issues with a manager is a very valid reason.

I would be curious to see the response though I wouldn’t blame you for not sharing it here.

I also understand why OP didn’t wAnt to complain at the time. Sometimes you just want to let it go and move on to something better.
We spent too much time on our last trip “fighting” when we wanted to get away and be carefree.

OP, it sounds like sending an email will help you get peace of mind, and best case scenario, the CM will at least be notified that his actions were unacceptable. I COMPLETELY understand not wanting to get a manager right on the spot when you are with your child. My parents have a tendency to complain about bad service while we are still eating our meals, and as young children, my sister and I would be incredibly embarrassed by the situation and it would sometimes ruin the rest of the day. Why risk that on such a short trip? Everyone has their own opinions on what to do in this situation, but the only right one is the right one for you. Don't let what some of these people said make you feel bad. It would have been the right decision for my family as well!

Last edited:
Even if one doesn't want to take the time or is intimidated by registering a complaint while still at the restaurant, that is by far the best way to do it.

To do it after leaving WDW, send an email (a short one, not a long one with no paragraphs because they'll stop reading before getting to the meat of your complaint) to Disney Guest Services and be specific about the restaurant, date, time and the name of the server if you have it.

I just got back from a quick trip to the World late last night, and while I didn't report the absolutely horrible service I received at one of our dinners then, I am feeling more and more like I need to. I took DD1 (10) down for a quick weekend trip and she wanted to eat at Coral Reef, so I reluctantly booked it after hearing not great reviews about the food. I had heard they had good service despite this so I figured it would make up for the food, along with the atmosphere. I wish I had gone to Guest Services after the meal to report this, but we were tired and had a Soarin' FP to get to so I decided against it (plus I was with DD1 and didn't want to ruin her trip by going and complaining about service).
A little background about what happened, and maybe you guys could help me decide if it's reportable or not (Warning, it's long lol): After being sat it took close to 15 minutes for our waiter to come to our table, and then he disappeared taking forever with our drinks. After coming back he pressured us to order quickly, and then when I asked for suggestions he started talking to me like an adult to a picky eater kid, he took a flashlight with a pointer out and proceeded to point at everything on the menu saying "You COULD eat any one of these, but most people eat anyone of these and seem fine, you should just pick one." I was expecting something along the lines of "I really love the mahi..." or something like that *sigh*. We ordered and I saw other tables receiving bread...and we never did. Our food was brought out about half an hour later by someone who was not our waiter, we hadn't seen him since he brought our drinks and took our orders. I look over and he's at a table with several really cute college aged girls, not taking orders, just talking....for most of our meal. He disappeared after a while and came to our table with.....bread. I was already done with my meal at that point, and so was my daughter, so I didn't want the bread anymore. I informed him that it would have been nice to have BEFORE our meal, not as a dessert. I also informed him that I had indeed seen him socializing at the table with the cute young girls, and I wasn't pleased. He apologized but you could tell he didn't mean it. I also pointed out that we both had nothing to drink since he had never refilled them, and thankfully he brought us water (which was not what I wanted, I wanted a second cocktail).
The table next to us was a young couple celebrating their one year wedding anniversary and they suffered the same fate as us. They had ordered champagne to go with dessert and the champagne never arrived, the wife got up to use the restroom and told the husband that if he hadn't come back by the time she did she was going to deal with the waiter herself (this was after my "dealing" with him). Champagne finally came but the wife never came back, and when the waiter finally brought the husband the bill he just dropped it and started walking off. The husband knew at that point the guy wasn't coming back for a long time and got agitated asking him if he could pay now. The waiter told the husband that he would be back....and he was gone for a good long time after. The husband was angry and just walked out, and they never came back to pay. All the while the waiter is taking his sweet time at the table with the cute girls and making sure their bills were paid immediately, giving them lots of attention. When he realized the people had walked out his hands started shaking and he was really attentive to us, finally bringing our check and I paid on the spot, but only left him a $2 tip (which was extremely generous, I only left it because he didn't drop the bill and run never to be seen again). Meanwhile there was an Asian family who still hadn't been helped after nearly 15-20 minutes, and surprise surprise he was their waiter.
So after all of that I will never go to Coral Reef again especially with that service, but also the food isn't worth the cost IMO. But does this warrant a report? It was like run down Applebees service, not what I've come to expect from Disney. Thankfully the girls working in Sunshine Seasons, where we went for dessert since we wanted to just get out of Coral Reef, restored my faith in CMs because they were so sweet and helpful. (if you made it this far, thanks!)

ABSOLUTELY contact guest services. This was an UNACCEPTABLE experience. We had a somewhat similar experience a few weeks ago at another restaurant on property. I even spoke with the manager and she ran off with a bunch of excuses claiming she (the manager) was new to that specific location (which we have dined at many times since it opened and always loved it until this experience)...anyway it was a waste of time to discuss the issues at hand with her as she wasn't really listening...it was such a "disappointing" experience...I sent an email to guest services. Hopefully you still have a copy of your receipt as they will need that.

Admittedly I have not read every reply but I would email Disney just as I do when I receive outstanding service.

OP-
I hope you've managed to create your email and notify WDW of your poor service.
I ve been unhappy in a restaurant previously and just wanted to be away and never return anywhere in the vicinity ever again..
I think it totally depends on who you are with,what else is happening and many other factors play into if you feel the need to address at that time, later or not at all.

I did however ask for a manager at Sanaa when our whole experience was unacceptable...
And I'm definitely not returning there-ever.

Coral reef-I'd read the reviews & we finally gave that a try last trip..
And we loved it. Food,ambience,service-all superb.
Indeed; it was dds fave restaurant in Epcot.

Definitely send an e-mail to guest services. They should contact you by phone and you can discuss this with them. So sorry for having to deal with that! This shouldn't happen anywhere!

As a former employee of a much-maligned MK restaurant, the emails (both positive and negative) do have a significant impact on the staff. If you call out the specifics of the situation (much as your original post did) I guarantee it will be heard the the cast member will hear about it. We used to have meetings where the management would read us word for word the comments guests would leave both positive and brutally negative. This isn't to discourage you from emailing/reporting but I do think it is important to provide the specifics of your situation and what happened during your meal. I think it is important, even if only for your own piece of mind, to let the restaurant know.

I had a terrible meal at Narcoossees. The food was bad (my son's steak was charred on the outside and purple and cold on the inside, my lobster was underdone). I didn't say anything at the time because I often have a delayed reaction to things. The service didn't help as the non-attentive server made it hard to get it addressed and when it wasn't addressed well I just gave up. I, too, wanted a second glass of wine and never got it. I did send the food back but the second round was not good either and server was nowhere to be found. Sometimes you just get tired after trying to deal with a bad situation and don't want to make the effort any more in the moment.

I emailed WDW about it after the fact because I didn't want to spend vacation time on it by making an effort to go to guest services somewhere after we left, and I didn't really want anything (we used up our last 4 DDP credits on it and I didn't feel like pursuing it) but it was really bugging me when I got home. They only had one bathroom in operation and after waiting 15 minutes for the CM to clear all of the men out of the men's room to let the women use it but continually letting a stream of kids in there, I really had to use the bathroom and I left to use it elsewhere. I wasn't about to wait around for a manager at that point, I'd had more than enough.

Someone contacted me for more details and let me vent about it, apologized about it... that was all I really wanted. But he also insisted on sending a full refund for the entire cash cost of the meal and tip I had paid. I took the check they sent and put it right toward a Disney cruise.

So I say it is worth it to complain in the end. In my case the food was awful and that is the reason for the refund... if your food was fine then you will at least get to get it off your chest and they will at least listen to what you say.

Also never understood people who walk out on a check at Disney. You’ve likely made an ADR. They have your credit card/MDE/they know where you are staying. The mouse will get its money.

Oh I would bet they went out and got the manager involved. Sounds like that was what the wife was saying.

Once at Disneyland ON my birthday we were getting lousy service and the then-husband went out to the front of the restaurant to talk with the manager. We didn’t sit and ask the server to bring the manager. He went TO her.

I felt like maybe they already knew, and I had a feeling the waiter had spun a weird story about it

We were practically sitting at the same table as the couple next to us that walked out

You were right next to that table
They were likely talking about that.

I had horrible service back in 2012 at Crystal Palace and reported it when I got home. The bad thing was I used TiW and he got a $9 tip that he did not deserve.

As you now know, talk to management then so they can take off that tip. My cousin did this at big river once. SHE, and she alone, got atrocious service from the server we all had. She tried to solve it more than once bitfinaly talked to the manager and they took off the tip.

making me feel bad about not doing those things is a moot point.

Saying that doing it at the time is the best time to do it isn’t supposed to make you feel bad. It’s informing you for the future and letting those reading know that finding a manager at the time is the best way to report a problem.

As others have said never too late to complain,just send them a link to tjis posts and sure get a more satisfactory response with disney diehards here.

OP, it sounds like sending an email will help you get peace of mind, and best case scenario, the CM will at least be notified that his actions were unacceptable. I COMPLETELY understand not wanting to get a manager right on the spot when you are with your child. My parents have a tendency to complain about bad service while we are still eating our meals, and as young children, my sister and I would be incredibly embarrassed by the situation and it would sometimes ruin the rest of the day. Why risk that on such a short trip? Everyone has their own opinions on what to do in this situation, but the only right one is the right one for you. Don't let what some of these people said make you feel bad. It would have been the right decision for my family as well!

This! Couldn’t have said it better. OP I probably wouldn’t have said anything at the time either! I hate confrontation but at the same time a situation like this would have niggled at me for a while afterwards putting me exactly in the same boat as you. I think an email is a reasonable way to handle it :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter