Report from the park on Saturday/Sunday - saw something awesome

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I went both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I'd planned, originally, to only go on Saturday. But while there, I decided to go also on Sunday, even though I expected the park to be slammed due to the Choc Walk and a late opening time of 10:00. As it turns out, Sunday was far better than I expected. Crowds were actually light and the later opening didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I posted in another thread about how smoking is being phased out gradually at DL. I'm glad about that. The CM I spoke with on this topic indicated, however, that it would still be allowed at DCA. I suppose that goes along with alcohol sales.

So -- on to the events of the weekend.

On Saturday, the family that opened the park -- a group of about 8 that included extended family and friends -- treated all of us waiting at the gates to something special. Before announcing the park opening, the young man in the group got down on his knee and proposed to his girlfriend directly in front of the Mickey Mouse flowerbed. It was a wonderful way to start the day and gave this longtime bachelor hope for the future ;-). What's also nice about this was that someone with whom I acquainted got wind of the guy's plan and spoke with a CM he knew, explained what was afoot and asked if they could open the park. Props to him -- he helped make this happen.

Here are some pics from Saturday. Pics from Sunday will follow.

This is the family that opened the park.

IMG_6650.JPG

The couple holding hands got engaged in front of about 200 of us. It was a wonderful way to start the day :-).

IMG_6649.JPG

First in the park!
IMG_6652.JPG

Guests trickled into the park slowly (for a change). I learned moments later it was largely because many of them got in line at Disneyana to buy new merch that was released that day -- Pop! Rides: Splash Mountain.
IMG_6653.JPG

Flowers (heather?) outside of Peter Pan.
IMG_6654.JPG

Earned this score early only to be beaten later by someone unknown -- henceforth to be known as my archrival ;-).
IMG_6656.JPG

Loved this image of the FP kiosks for Splash Mountain.
IMG_6657.JPG

This was the new merch that was issued. I saw several people walking around with bags that contained three or four.
IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6662.JPG

Last edited:
And pics from Sunday.

IMG_6675.JPG

IMG_6676.jpg

IMG_6685.jpg

It's never too early for Halloween merch. It's my absolute favorite holiday :-).
IMG_6689.JPG

IMG_6690.JPG

IMG_6691.JPG

IMG_6692.JPG

And a bonus pic. An interview I conducted with recording engineer Doug McKean was published today. The print magazine -- Music Connection -- will be on newsstands later this week. Doug is a two-time Grammy-winner. He's worked closely with Green Day, Sublime and others. Indeed, he was the engineer on Green Day's massive hit 'American Idiot' (seven Grammy nominations, two wins, 6x platinum in America, two million copies sold in the UK), my favorite Green Day record. He's worked alongside Rob Cavallo (Eric Clapton, Kid Rock, Black Sabbath, tons of others and was chairman of Warner Bros. Records for a time), who signed Green Day originally. Interested readers may also read/download it in better resolution at/from http://www.musicconnection.com/digital
Doug McKean - Music Connection - Producer Crosstalk.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome Pics! Thanks! I had no idea they made DL Pop! Things. I'll have to keep an eye out for my kids. DD is a collector.

Awesome Pics! Thanks! I had no idea they made DL Pop! Things. I'll have to keep an eye out for my kids. DD is a collector.
This is the 3rd one I’ve seen release at Disneyland in the past year. We had a yeti for Matterhorn about a year and a half ago and then we had the tiki release back in July. WDW had figment last year for Epcot 35 which is now open edition and I know there was an orange bird release at one point.

thank for the photos of Chickapin....always a joy....as for the flowers...heather is a bush, your photo is a common grown by seed annual plant....we tried growing some and they didn't respond, they have some type of name that is similiar to fire like flame, hot...I will have to find a packet of seeds at the store and write you back....celosia is the flower...found it by looking for photos with fire adjectives.

Last edited:
......well...better watch out for my sister.....she has a mean right hook........she has led a transient life since she was 20 years old and her proposal at Disneyland is the one place she can return and live that moment......in other news....Wikipedia list 25 examples of the Lost Dutchman being used as a cliche....but I am still working on finding a site that says Disneyland proposals are cliche.

how fabulous to be able to open the park! And what a memorable occasion for everyone to watch a proposal. Great pix.

They already are from people that were buying the 10/person limit at WDW on Saturday. They were limited to 5/person at Disneyland and our lines were much shorter then what I saw on Twitter from WDW.

Yeah, I saw plenty of people complaining on twitter about families walking away with 40-50 units for resell, which is pretty ridiculous, tbh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter