Replacing vehicle wiper blades

I try to do it once a year, if I remember. usually in the fall.

on a related question:

does anyone replace the rear wiper on their SUV or van?

I don't. I could never find the size in the store and getting them from the dealer is expensive. also, on the two vehicles that have rear wipers I couldn't figure out how to take them off.

I try to do it once a year, if I remember. usually in the fall.

on a related question:

I don't. I could never find the size in the store and getting them from the dealer is expensive. also, on the two vehicles that have rear wipers I couldn't figure out how to take them off.
Not in van or SUV but I do on my hatchback. About every other year. Napa Auto Parts is the only place I could find the right one.

Side story. The first time I replaced the rear wiper I broke the wiper arm because the directions said to push down hard. Well I guess I pushed too hard and snapped it. It is now super glued together.

I had mine replaced at the dealership once. The wiper had torn, so it definitely needed to be replaced.

Anco used to recommend twice per year with their traditional natural rubber blades.

I frankly just bought another set but I'm waiting for it to be delivered since I had to order them. I generally like the standard ones like the Arco 31 series. I used to be able to find those (or a house brand version of them that they actually made) pretty easily, but now they're a bit harder to find. And the thing I like about them is that they also sell universal refills that come in two packs. They have this little clip at the end, but I pry it off and then just squeeze them into standard Anco blades. The inserts are identical to the original inserts other than the clip.

It's kind of strange though. One of the things people neglect to do is just clean the rubber. They get all gunky. I've also had blades that were clearly worn such that cleaning didn't help, but after several minutes in the rain they seemed to work a bit better. But ideally one should have reasonably new inserts.

I used to help with my parents. Their compact SUV also has a rear wiper that's 12 inches long and requires a very specific replacement blade. I've helped them get a few of those, but I think once I found some 12" narrow inserts and found a way to get them to work with the existing blade, but it was clearly a hack.

You're throwing away money. You can get the correct size from multiple places a LOT cheaper than the dealer (and probably the same manufacturer). They're also very easy to swap out. If you go to AutoZone, they'll even do the swap for you at no charge.

I personally like the Rain X brand.

Almost all blade arms are universal fit, even if they blades aren't the same. Most are that simple U shape.

When I lived in the northeast I usually changed them in the spring and fall. Now that I live in central Florida I change once a year or when they streak. Car is in my garage down here most of the time.

Almost all blade arms are universal fit, even if they blades aren't the same. Most are that simple U shape.
Huh? There are a bunch of different arm/blade mounts (ignore the red circle)...
piaa-wiper-blade-installation-033.jpg

All of the blades that I've purchased have "adaptor" kits in them so they'll fit whatever you have on your vehicle.

I had a hatchback with a rear wiper, but that was really just a standard wiper (maybe 17") with a hook arm. That was actually pretty easy to replace.

The tough ones are the new style made by Valeo that have been around for maybe 15 years. Those have very specific mounts and I had a heck of a time figuring out how they release from the arm.

All of the blades that I've purchased have "adaptor" kits in them so they'll fit whatever you have on your vehicle.

Sure. But the majority of arms use a simple hook and don't require an adapter. Or at least the hook adapter is the one that installed on the blade at the factory. That thing is just odd.

The Valeo rear wiper blade is really funky though.

You're throwing away money. You can get the correct size from multiple places a LOT cheaper than the dealer (and probably the same manufacturer). They're also very easy to swap out. If you go to AutoZone, they'll even do the swap for you at no charge.

I personally like the Rain X brand.

i bought them from the parts department and swapped them out myself. I had trouble finding the refills online. I didn’t need new wiper blades, just the insert.

I have never had an issue finding replacement blades at any of those local auto parts stores. They all have a wide selection and usually some kind of cross-reference material to make sure you choose the correct ones. The ones on my front windshield are different lengths while the prior car they were both the same. The people working at those auto parts stores are also very helpful in making sure you buy the correct product. Obviously, you need to select the correct blades that are compatible with whatever style of arms your wiper system has.

I usually replace the front and rear blades at the same time. Just easier to remember that way.

I have never had an issue finding replacement blades at any of those local auto parts stores. They all have a wide selection and usually some kind of cross-reference material to make sure you choose the correct ones. The ones on my front windshield are different lengths while the prior car they were both the same. The people working at those auto parts stores are also very helpful in making sure you buy the correct product. Obviously, you need to select the correct blades that are compatible with whatever style of arms your wiper system has.

I usually replace the front and rear blades at the same time. Just easier to remember that way.

Yeah - but they cost a bunch and really don't work any better than traditional blades. I've gotten refills dirt cheap, and I've had blades last for a long, long time. The thing that wears is the plastic adapter insert and I'm not sure how to get a replacement other than buy a new assembled blade.

Where is the Non Standard Pin & Hook? If there is a Standard Pin & Hook that means there must be lots of non standard pin & hook.

had a hatchback with a rear wiper....

20221103_164058.jpg

this is my 2017 Explorer. no visible way to access the attachment.

I did a search on youtube and saw how it done. you need a long enough screwdriver to access it from the right side. nothing like the front wipers.

I usually change them every year around this time(before winter). I’ve got 3 different cars so I just do them all at once to make it easier. Thanks for the reminder! 😂

my blades typically get changed in Early November…I always want new blades before winter. They typically last until the followinf November. If I notice anything “off”, they will get replaced sooner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter