Replacing one trip package with another-- paid using gift cards a problem?

Abra Cat

DIS Veteran
Wow, that came off very Tarzan, didn't it?!? I didn't want to be too vague, but I didn't want to write a novel in the subject line! Anyway, my original booking was for Thanksgiving week, and I've been paying slowly over time with Disney gift cards I bought using my Target card (saving 5%, yay!). I've paid off about $1400 on my package in this way so far.

Then last week, for a variety of reasons, we decided it'd be more convenient for us to take our trip in mid December instead, and were amazingly able to book the same package. So far, I've only made the initial $200 deposit on the December trip, and have not yet cancelled the November trip.

My question is, is there going to be a huge hassle to transfer the $1400 I've paid thus far from the November package to the December package? I've cancelled/transferred payment before, but never with payments made by gift card. Will the $1400 be credited directly to the December package, or will it be dispersed onto each gift card? I've kept all the cards, by the way-- probably 14-18 in all. Thanks for any help!

What does "Came off very Tarzan" mean? I never heard that before.

In light of your question, when I have used Gift Cards to purchase anything at Disney and then needed a refund, it had to go back on the original Gift Card.
I don't think, but I am not certain, that they can transfer the package payments between packages.
Best to call and ask before you cancel November

Thanks-- yeah, I definitely won't be cancelling anything without calling first; I just wanted to see if anyone had personal experience with this.

"Very Tarzan"-- I don't know, not using full sentences, just the basics of what I was trying to say. You know, "Me Tarzan, you Jane?"

What does "Came off very Tarzan" mean? I never heard that before.

In light of your question, when I have used Gift Cards to purchase anything at Disney and then needed a refund, it had to go back on the original Gift Card.
I don't think, but I am not certain, that they can transfer the package payments between packages.
Best to call and ask before you cancel November

Wow, that came off very Tarzan, didn't it?!? I didn't want to be too vague, but I didn't want to write a novel in the subject line! Anyway, my original booking was for Thanksgiving week, and I've been paying slowly over time with Disney gift cards I bought using my Target card (saving 5%, yay!). I've paid off about $1400 on my package in this way so far.

Then last week, for a variety of reasons, we decided it'd be more convenient for us to take our trip in mid December instead, and were amazingly able to book the same package. So far, I've only made the initial $200 deposit on the December trip, and have not yet cancelled the November trip.

My question is, is there going to be a huge hassle to transfer the $1400 I've paid thus far from the November package to the December package? I've cancelled/transferred payment before, but never with payments made by gift card. Will the $1400 be credited directly to the December package, or will it be dispersed onto each gift card? I've kept all the cards, by the way-- probably 14-18 in all. Thanks for any help!

Normally, when you go from package to package or room only to room only, they can transfer the payments over BUT not sure in this case because you actually booked a whole new reservation. Was there a reason why you didn't just change your dates and keep your current reservation number? That would have made things a lot easier.

Thanks-- yeah, I definitely won't be cancelling anything without calling first; I just wanted to see if anyone had personal experience with this.

"Very Tarzan"-- I don't know, not using full sentences, just the basics of what I was trying to say. You know, "Me Tarzan, you Jane?"

Ah I see :-) I never would have surmised that.

Eh, it was a whim, I guess. I'd been worrying over how we were going to get my daughter from college and then back to college afterwards in time for classes without making everything complicated, checked to see if there was an opening when all my kids were out of school, and when there was, I just went ahead and booked it before it disappeared. :crazy2:

Normally, when you go from package to package or room only to room only, they can transfer the payments over BUT not sure in this case because you actually booked a whole new reservation. Was there a reason why you didn't just change your dates and keep your current reservation number? That would have made things a lot easier.

Eh, it was a whim, I guess. I'd been worrying over how we were going to get my daughter from college and then back to college afterwards in time for classes without making everything complicated, checked to see if there was an opening when all my kids were out of school, and when there was, I just went ahead and booked it before it disappeared. :crazy2:

Just call and ask... can't see why they couldn't do it. FWIW, I always pay down my trips with GC's and have never had an issue with them transferring my payments but that was also keeping my original reservation #. Good luck!

Thanks!

Just call and ask... can't see why they couldn't do it. FWIW, I always pay down my trips with GC's and have never had an issue with them transferring my payments but that was also keeping my original reservation #. Good luck!

I'd been worrying over how we were going to get my daughter from college and then back to college afterwards in time for classes without making everything complicated
Totally off subject, but I totally get this. I did the exact same thing with our trip. Thought spring break would be great, until I figured on having to run and pick her up before going to the airport an extra 4 hour drive and then having to take her back after so she was back in time for class. No thank you!!! We decided on May after she is done for the year.

Anyway, I am pretty sure you are going to have to get all your deposits returned to the gift cards and then have to reapply them all to the new reservation. But calling to check never hurts. Hopefully, they can do it differently. Good thing you saved the cards, just in case.

Totally off subject, but I totally get this. I did the exact same thing with our trip. Thought spring break would be great, until I figured on having to run and pick her up before going to the airport an extra 4 hour drive and then having to take her back after so she was back in time for class. No thank you!!! We decided on May after she is done for the year.

Ha, exactly!

Anyway, I am pretty sure you are going to have to get all your deposits returned to the gift cards and then have to reapply them all to the new reservation. But calling to check never hurts. Hopefully, they can do it differently. Good thing you saved the cards, just in case.

Thanks!

Bottom line - I was told they could have just transferred the amount to a new reservation.

Original reservation had several gift card payments and didn't keep the original gift cards (trashed them after viewing the credit on my reservation). When we had to change reservations, I was told they would send me a new gift card for the total amount of all the gift cards I used. Was told 7 - 10 days; then 7 - 10 days again; then again. Finally received a gift card for the full and correct amount then used that gift card to make a payment on the new reservation and kept the gift card. Took almost a month, but at the end was told they should have just transferred the payment.

Thank you!

Bottom line - I was told they could have just transferred the amount to a new reservation.

Original reservation had several gift card payments and didn't keep the original gift cards (trashed them after viewing the credit on my reservation). When we had to change reservations, I was told they would send me a new gift card for the total amount of all the gift cards I used. Was told 7 - 10 days; then 7 - 10 days again; then again. Finally received a gift card for the full and correct amount then used that gift card to make a payment on the new reservation and kept the gift card. Took almost a month, but at the end was told they should have just transferred the payment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter