• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting DVC points questions:

And the price of for any reason insurance may wind up costing you more than booking directly with Disney.

If you are getting trip insurance get one that is for any reason.

Anything less than that at this point is likely to be worthless. Most don't cover preexisting and since COVID19 is already around likely would be excluded even if pandemics are not excluded to start with.
DITTO - 2020? Travelex crapped out, in total. That's the DVC recommended agency.
They were worthless.

If we were going to rent DVC points again (which we won't after this horrible and disappointing experience) we would rent them directly from an owner, and preferably one we knew. There would at least maybe be a chance of switching the dates if needed. The cost of travel insurance that would cover what we need to cover this kind of shenanigans would completely negate the savings of renting (which I foolishly later discovered was minimal in our case anyway). Next time I'll just pay the extra cost of booking through Disney for a) the comfort of being able to cancel and b) the simplicity of making changes if I want to.

Has anyone ever had experience with "last minute" or similar rentals? I'm looking at renting for a week in August...first time renter though so still trying to understand all the risk/benefits.

Has anyone ever had experience with "last minute" or similar rentals? I'm looking at renting for a week in August...first time renter though so still trying to understand all the risk/benefits.

At this point, if you know 100% you are going and don’t mind losing it to a voucher if the resorts close, then it may not be too bad of a risk.

Once you book it, though, you are committing to it so no matter what happens, there won’t be any cancel.

Actually, these reservations may not even come with a voucher offer if resorts close...though I doubt they will.

At this point, if you know 100% you are going and don’t mind losing it to a voucher if the resorts close, then it may not be too bad of a risk.

Once you book it, though, you are committing to it so no matter what happens, there won’t be any cancel.

Actually, these reservations may not even come with a voucher offer if resorts close...though I doubt they will.

Thanks. Given the park reservation requirements...would you recommend our process here be: 1. rent points for resort accommodations 2.buy park tickets 3. make park reservations?

Last edited:
For those still thinking about renting points this year, please be very careful. No one knows how things are going to play out, no matter what all of us hope for, and you should be aware that it's not a far-fetched idea that you could lose the entire amount of what you've paid for the points rental.

Read through some of the threads here where owners and renters alike were very unhappy (to say the least) about what happened when WDW shut down in March.

Booking directly through Disney is much safer, because, so far anyway, they've been giving full refunds. Even if you rent points directly from an owner, the owner might not be able to give you a refund for any number of totally legit reasons and if the points are expiring, moving the reservation could be out of the question.

A PP mentioned this, but I'll mention it again--even many cancel-for-any-reason trip insurance policies did NOT cover the covid shutdown.

Thanks. Given the park reservation requirements...would you recommend our process here be: 1. rent points for resort accommodations 2.buy park tickets 3. make park reservations?

Yes..there are not many days sold out other than for AP holders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter