• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting a WC van

Sarahsmom85

Mouseketeer
Hi
I need to rent a WC van for May. There are a few rentals in the Orlando area. I called one http://www.medicaltravel.org/ (not Getaway) and when I recieve an e-mail back it was from
http://www.discountmobilityusa.com/vanrentals.html, So I believe that the wheelchair van company is the same for both companys.
I talked to IRA on the phone he told me he was the manager.
He quoted me a promotional price of $500 a week. So I will be saving over $60 off the listed internet price. For two weeks that is a saving of $120 plus the tax I would have paid.
I know this is expensive, car rentals can be found at $39 a day or $99 a week. I need to rent a van, DH uses a tilt back power chair, can not be put in a trunk. I am happy with saving $120 not having to pay $1000 but what are we to do.
We do need our own transportation. We rented a villa off-site.
Well the reason I posted this, is it anyone needs to rent a van do not just use the internet price call speak to someone see if they will give you the promotional price.

My Disney savings so far.
Villa 2 weeks for the price of one.
Van rental $500 a week promo.
Universal tickets $89 internet special.

I have a question out of curiosity...are you flying in and they'll deliver the van to the airport for you, or must you take a wheelchair shuttle van to the rental place? I have my own ramp van ( Dodge Grand Caravan) but I might need to rent one vs. driving it for a long distance in the future. I got a flyer from a place that just opened in the Orlando area called Specialty Vehicles. Their number is 1-800-697-7511. Thought I'd post it just as another place to keep in mind although I don't know their rental rates. Sounds like you got a great deal! ---Kathy

Hi
I called Specialty and they want $95 a day and $85 a day for a weeks rental.

I know what you mean about flying instead of driving. We also have a lower floor 1994 Chrysler mini van. But since it would take us 24 hrs each way if we drive to Disney that is a lot of miles to put on our van. Our van has to last us for another 5 yrs at the least.

It seems like a lot of money to rent a van but we like the freedom to come and go as we please.

To answer your question. They will met you at the airport. I asked about returning the van after hours. For example if our plane does not leave until 6 oclock pm, they close at 1 pm. He said he would work with us for a 4 oclock pickup at airport.
Ira who I talked to seemed willing to deal with us, so that is a good thing.

Thanks for the info. If I were to rent a van it would be for the same reason- to spare the mileage on mine. With all the adaptations it cost over 65K ( most of it paid by VR, but I couldn't afford to replace it anytime soon!). I normally use WDW transportation because we're usually onsite, but having the freedom to come and go is better. Even if you don't use it much, knowing you *can* makes a big difference. Hope you have a great trip! ---Kathy

That is a good pricce 9and the more options available the better).
We have normally just rented a refular van, since DD brought her manual wheelchair and we could move her to a van seat and then put her wheelchair in the back. My DH arranges the van rental. I think the rate you got for a wheelchair van is not that much more than a regular van rents for.
Even if we park the van most of the time and use WDW transportation, it "feels" better to know we have an option.
We might look into renting from them for our next trip since DD is almost certainly going to bring her power wheelchair. And when I went to their site, I see they have a free ecvv rental listed. We may seriously look into this since MIL and FIl are traveling with us and will both be renting ecvvs (the only problem I can see is if DD is already riding the van in her wheelchair, would there be room for an ecv in there too for the trip to and ffrom where we pick the van up).

i saw the free ecv too, actually I was thinking of getting it for me.
Then I could keep up with DH easier. Remember they come apart in 3 or 4 pieces so they would be easier to put in van.

Yeah, but I'm thinking of how much luggage we are likely to have.;)
I'd have to pack light to make room for an ecv.

just one other company to think about is rainbow wheels. they met us at the airport for both the arrival and departure. Very friendly and willing to work around our wierd airline times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter