• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rental Car vs. Disney transport HELP!

raelee

Earning My Ears
We have never rented a car before but would like opinions..

Will be staying on-site at CS 12/5-10. Had booked town car but figure with RT and tips that would be $120 and found great rate (using mousesaver code) at National for $150.

Two reasons I am considering this-

1- Our departure day we want to go to DD and if I can park there and then just leave from there we'll have more time then if we have to go back to CS for pick-up.

2- We would like to do a little resort restaurant hopping and from these boards getting resort-resort sounds like a pain (unless you have transpo.)

3- I know as a WDW resort guest I don't have to pay for parking at theme parks, but what about resorts??? We are looking at a dinner at AKL, one or two visits to B & C and maybe WL so... Can we park free there???

Thanks-
Steph

you get a 3hr free parking pass if you're eating at a resort.

and, for only $30 more than the towncar service, it's worth it IMO.

go for it!

raelee
I am in the same dilemma as you, I priced the town car to and from the airport and to and from IAO at a total cost of $135.00, plus tip of at least 21.00. I found a compact car with dollar using the codes from mousesaver, for 125.00 before taxes, 161.50 after. There is just two of us so a compact is fine. With the prices so close it just seemed to make sense to rent a car.
Now we can resort hop to check out all the Christmas decorations and if we feel like it, and eat at AKL before MVMCP without having to feel rushed to get there.

Although the rental deals sound good, the towncar price of $125-$135 seems high, I've reserved through yourride for $80 rt, (plus $5 coupon) I know tip will be extra but still sould be under $100 total,

Well... this is what I would do... Since the rental car really won't be that much more than the towncar you wanted, you might as well just go for it. If you plan on going outside The World, of if you wanted to go Resort Hopping, then it would be helpful.

However, for just going to the theme parks... let us do the driving. :)

Tyler is right--Disney transportation is fine for getting to and from the Theme parks.
But we always rent a car, because we do go resort to resort, etc.
For example--our first day's itinerary during our early Oct. trip:
Check in at OKW
To House of Blues for Lunch
To Winter/ Summerland for miniature golf
To Boardwalk to have a look at the Luna Park pool
To Wilderness Lodge (so our friends could see it)
Back to OKW
To California Grill for dinner

All of that would have been very time consuming if we tried it via WDW Transportation. But WDW transportation just isn't set up for that sort of thing, nor could it probably ever be.

We always rent a car
transam-yellow.gif
, it is much more convenient for us. But if we are going directly to a theme park and back, we use Disney transportation.

paduncan

Using youride, 85.00 (this is minus the 5.00 coupon) airport to WL and return, 65.00 from WL to IOA and return, so the actual cost would be $150.00 plus tips. I think TTC is 5 or dollars cheaper for the trip to IOA. I think that all the town car services have increased their prices about 10.00 per trip this year.

I am always in favor of getting a rental. For the few dollars more, even if we never use it, knowing it is there when we need it is worth it.

Disney transport can't be beat for some things (MK is best example, getting dropped off pretty much right at the gate) but your own car for resort to resort is handy.

Thanks for clarification on cost, I didn't consider trip to IOA (we're not) But I guess I made my reservation on yourride before price increase -- I have confirmation for $80 rt (not including $5 coupon) for upcoming Nov. trip. :D

we have always rented a car (and it is just DH & I) because we like the convenience of being able to come and go as we please. We do use the buses for the most part but it is very nice to be able to go to the supermarket or offsite occassionally.

for the past 3 yrs we have rented a car and I think I always will because it saves so much time if you want to go to other resorts. We've even used it to go to the parks (we go early and get good parking spots). Bus service is pretty good but sometimes leaving a park in the middle of the day for a nap (always necessary for DH :D ) it can be hard to get a bus quickly. Enjoy resort hopping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter