• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rental Car Return at Miami Port?

jktmom

Mouseketeer
Are there any car rental agency that have rental car return at the Miami port?
If not, what’s the easiest plan for a rental car return at/near port Miami?

We have pocked up a rental at the car rental center at MIA airport post cruise. We happened to use Alamo, and Alamo/National/Enterprise had a free shuttle. The reverse of dropping off a rental and taking the shuttle to the port would also work. I don’t know about other rental agencies‘ shuttle service, but all the major players are represented at the airport location.

We just got home today from a 4-day cruise on the Magic. We rented from Hertz; they have a shuttle that will drop you off at the port terminal. Just make sure your rental car return location is downtown Miami 2nd Street-HLE

We just got home today from a 4-day cruise on the Magic. We rented from Hertz; they have a shuttle that will drop you off at the port terminal. Just make sure your rental car return location is downtown Miami 2nd Street-HLE

Thanks! Was the rental drop off super chaotic and was there a long wait for the shuttle? We are traveling with two young kids.

It was a breeze, we were the only ones there. The drop off location is in a parking garage about a mile from the port. The Hertz employee was in the garage and directed us where to park. Then he told us to hop into the shuttle van and he drove us to the port. It was very quick. We had two rental vehicles and had already dropped off the rest of our family at the port terminal with the luggage. I would recommend filling the gas tank before you hit the downtown area because it’s a bit chaotic and we had to circle around in traffic to get gas before returning the vehicles.

It was a breeze, we were the only ones there. The drop off location is in a parking garage about a mile from the port. The Hertz employee was in the garage and directed us where to park. Then he told us to hop into the shuttle van and he drove us to the port. It was very quick. We had two rental vehicles and had already dropped off the rest of our family at the port terminal with the luggage. I would recommend filling the gas tank before you hit the downtown area because it’s a bit chaotic and we had to circle around in traffic to get gas before returning the vehicles.
Thanks! This is super helpful!

We have pocked up a rental at the car rental center at MIA airport post cruise. We happened to use Alamo, and Alamo/National/Enterprise had a free shuttle. The reverse of dropping off a rental and taking the shuttle to the port would also work. I don’t know about other rental agencies‘ shuttle service, but all the major players are represented at the airport location.

Since you mentioned that you had used Alamo for a post cruise car rental, I wanted to ask a question. When you disembarked the cruise, you were able to pickup a free rental car shuttle at the port to the MIA Airport Rental Car Center? Is that right?

Since you mentioned that you had used Alamo for a post cruise car rental, I wanted to ask a question. When you disembarked the cruise, you were able to pickup a free rental car shuttle at the port to the MIA Airport Rental Car Center? Is that right?
Yes. You need the written confirmation of the rental reservation to board the shuttle.

Yes. You need the written confirmation of the rental reservation to board the shuttle.

Thank you! Has anyone also tried the return a rental car at the airport (MIA Rental Car Center) and take the shuttle to the Port of Miami?

Edited to add: I called Alamo/National at MIA Airport and they told me that they discontinued their shuttle service during covid. I guess I'll explore the ride share options to airport - cruise port - airport.

Last edited:
How long is your cruise? Instead of doing two one-way rentals or taxis, rent the car once, park it at the terminal, and drive it back to the airport. Parking is $25/day, which is inconsequential in comparison with what you are spending on the cruise.

How long is your cruise? Instead of doing two one-way rentals or taxis, rent the car once, park it at the terminal, and drive it back to the airport. Parking is $25/day, which is inconsequential in comparison with what you are spending on the cruise.

It's a 4-day cruise - That's actually a really good idea. The total cost difference of splitting the rental + Ubers VS keeping the car for the duration + parking is only $67.
Thank you!

Thank you! Has anyone also tried the return a rental car at the airport (MIA Rental Car Center) and take the shuttle to the Port of Miami?

Edited to add: I called Alamo/National at MIA Airport and they told me that they discontinued their shuttle service during covid. I guess I'll explore the ride share options to airport - cruise port - airport.

This was our experience earlier this month, so we just took a cab to the port.

The taxis in Miami are a flat rate $27 from MIA to POM, and easy to get at the rental car center

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter