• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rental car pickup at MCO

kandb

DIS Veteran
We are flying into MCO with Jetblue in November. Can anyone recommend a rental car agency that won't have us waiting a long time and is reputable? Thank you.

Any of the 10 with cars on site are reputable. How long you're going to be waiting depends on many factors. I can walk straight out to the garage with Enterprise, National, Hertz, Alamo, Avis but I've rented from all of them in the past and am already a member of their loyalty programs that give me that option. If you've never rented before you are probably going to have to go to the counter for them to check your DL and CC. I would still recommend those same companies as they generally have shorter lines because so many people can skip the counter. Based on what I saw at MCO last week, I would not recommend Budget or Thrifty/Dollar. The lines for those were incredibly long. Since you're coming into Terminal C I'd also not recommend Sixt as they are a company that many europeans use since it's German. JetBlue is the only domestic airline that flies into Terminal C.

Since you're coming into Terminal C I'd also not recommend Sixt as they are a company that many europeans use since it's German.
Can you expand on why NOT Sixt? I don't have experience one way or the other with them, so just curious.

Can you expand on why NOT Sixt? I don't have experience one way or the other with them, so just curious.
The majority of the airlines that fly into Terminal C are European, where Sixt is a very recognized name, much more so than National or Avis. I would expect a large portion of those travelers to choose the name they know rather than a name they don't. Routes tried to make a run of it at MCO also, they are a very well known Canadian rental company and their clientele was primarily Canadian at MCO also. I would personally have no problems using Sixt out of A or B if they were competitive in price and perks to what I get with other companies, but out of C, knowing you're more than likely going to have to go to the counter, I wouldn't choose them.

Make a couple of reservations. When you get to the counters pick the one with the shortest line. If you are traveling with someone, each take line and see who gets there first. if one which you don’t have a ressie has no line, ask them if they have a walk up rate, if it beats the others or you just want to be out of there, take it.

Whenever you have ressies always ask for the walk up rate before you say you have a ressie. If it is less than your ressie, take the lower rate.

After you leave the counter, cancel your unused ressies.

One time I did this, my ressie line had a few people and the next one had no line. I saved $50 on a 2 day rental and a long time in the line which had barely moved since I got there.

We flew into MCO but had a late night flight. When we arrived, dollar did not have an agent at the desk and we had to walk/tram it to terminal B. If arriving during the day the major airlines have desks in terminal C. We did not rent from Sixt because of the reviews. I didn't want to take the chance even tho they were cheaper. They also are off site I believe.

PP said because it's German. [/syntax] 😜

Definitely enroll in the rental company's loyalty program and (important) make sure your number is on your reservation. That will enable you to skip the line with the big companies.

I rented with Alamo in the spring and was able to skip the counter and go right out to the car even though I had never rented from them before. I enrolled in their free royalty program. Many of the other rental companies require you to visit the counter for the first rental

I rented with Alamo in the spring and was able to skip the counter and go right out to the car even though I had never rented from them before. I enrolled in their free royalty program. Many of the other rental companies require you to visit the counter for the first rental
I rented a car from Avis in August and had to go to their counter in the parking garage.

I rent exclusively from Alamo. Walk out, choose a car & go...super convenient.

Sorry, a little confused here, but how does this work? Wouldn't you need to go to the counter no matter what for a key?

No. You pick a car in the aisle set for the type of car/van/suv you have booked. Then you drive up to the check out booth. They take payment, hand you your papers, and off you go.

Nope, keys are in vehicle! You just choose the car you want and stop at the exit booth as you are leaving, show them your ID, credit card and reservation. Super easy.
Hertz works similar to this as well, depending on your tier level in their loyalty program. Not sure you have to go to the counter the first rental or not.

Hertz works similar to this as well, depending on your tier level in their loyalty program. Not sure you have to go to the counter the first rental or not.
You do not - as long as you join the loyalty program as you make that reservation. I made a Hertz Gold account as I made my first reservation with them. Some things said I'd have to go to the counter for the first time, but in reality, I was able to walk right out and go to the Gold lane and pick my car.

Thanks everyone great info. I never would have known how to skip the counter. Now we are all ready to go. Got us booked with Alamo.

Thanks everyone great info. I never would have known how to skip the counter. Now we are all ready to go. Got us booked with Alamo.
I don’t think the above was clear on skipping the counter. You do need to check in online with Alamo and provide ID and CC info. You’ll then get a QR/barcode with your rental information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter