Rent DVC Points or Book on our Own

beffysky

Earning My Ears
Looking for pros/cons to renting DVC points to book a place to stay in February 2020 or just book a resort on our own. We will be traveling as a family of 5, with 3 kids ages 10, 8, and 3. The last time we went it was just 2 kids and we loved staying in the suites at AOA. We did not, however, love using the bus system to get everywhere. I think we'd prefer to stay at one of the Magic Kingdom area locations in 2020, but not sure whether it's smarter $$ wise to rent DVC points from someone or book a room at one of the places close to Magic Kingdom. Anyone have insight on this?

It kinda depends. To sleep 5 at a Magic Kingdom resort, you'd need a 1BR at BLT, a 2BR at Copper Creek, or could stack into a studio at Poly, VGF or Boulder Ridge. To reliably get Poly or VGF you'd need to be booking 11 months out, for which you would pay a premium. And if your trip overlaps President's Day, there's high competition for a room. Cost staying DVC might be cheaper depending on rates and specials, but I'd also expect price per point for rentals to increase next year and I'd expect to be paying $18-20 per point.

In a studio, you'd only get one "real" bed, a sofa bed, and in the three studios mentioned, a murphy bed.

Staying at an MK resort, you still will be taking buses. From Poly and VGF, you have to bus to AK and DHS on buses shared with the other resort. The Epcot monorail from VGF is a nuisance (also true from BLT). From BRV, you bus to everything but Magic Kingdom, or engage in shenanigans to monorail to Epcot, and then bus to DHS and AK on a shared bus.

There is no single resort that is convenient to all places.

Looking for pros/cons to renting DVC points to book a place to stay in February 2020 or just book a resort on our own. We will be traveling as a family of 5, with 3 kids ages 10, 8, and 3. The last time we went it was just 2 kids and we loved staying in the suites at AOA. We did not, however, love using the bus system to get everywhere. I think we'd prefer to stay at one of the Magic Kingdom area locations in 2020, but not sure whether it's smarter $$ wise to rent DVC points from someone or book a room at one of the places close to Magic Kingdom. Anyone have insight on this?
You will have the best chance of getting what you want if you rent at 11 months out. To do that, you would need to be prepared to pay for the reservation in full at that time and know that there are no changes nor refunds in most cases. You will not get daily housekeeping. The rooms tend to be a little more worn because DVC villas are not refurbished as frequently as hotel rooms but they get used much more heavily (at, or near, 100% occupancy year 'round). If you're looking for a studio, you will need one of the resorts that permits 5 people in a studio. In the MK area, that would mean BRV, VGF or Poly. VGF and Poly have high point requirements in comparison to other DVC resorts. VGF has a very small number of studios and competition can be tough among/pt owners to book them.

Dollar-wise, it can be less expensive to rent DVC reservations but not always. You really need to look at possible discounts for your expected dates vs. the number of points needed (and the associated fixed $/point). You may find that booking a resort room is actually cheaper.

We are renting points for a 2BR at AKL Jambo for grandparents (us) plus family of 4. When I priced it out the last time, it was comparable or cheaper than 2 rooms at a moderate and definitely cheaper than booking the same thing at rack rate. This will be the second time renting from the same person and it has been great. You also have the advantage of a living area and kitchen area which is MUCH better than hanging out in a hotel room - especially one of the value or moderates which are basically motel rooms. The person I rented from required a deposit, then pay in full 3 months out after booking at 11 mo out. You need to find someone with enough points and who have the resort you want as their home resort.

It is not as simple as renting a DVC Villa vs renting a room. @Marionnette gave a nice highlight of some of the important differences. You need to do a lot of research first.
When you rent a Villa you sign a legally binding contract. Most often no changes or cancellations are allowed, and refunds are not given. Can you commit 7 - 11 months in advance? This is the time frame that y ou need to be looking at. Lots of folks miss the daily Mousekeeping, clean towels, replenished toiletries etc. On a DVC rental of 7 nights or less you only receive supplies on day 4, and they do not clean at all. With Disney's new(ish) policy of security checks of rooms, trash is now emptied daily.
Another important feature is that in studios you are looking at there is only 1 real bed. Will that work for you? A studio will have a small kitchenette, which is very nice, but it does take up room.
My DH and I are very comfortable in a Studio Villa, but we are just a couple. I would think it would be tight with 5.
Whatever you decide, keep researching. There is good info on the DVC forum here on the DIS.

What did you like best about the AOA suites? If it was the extra space, a DVC studio will probable feel like you’ve regressed into a hotel room because DVC studios are basically a hotel room with one bed and a sleeper sofa instead of 2 beds. Indeed at the Poly they basically shoe horned studios into the space that used to be hotel rooms.
As mentioned above only some of the MK area DVC studios will sleep 5. Generally renting a studio from a private party or through a broker costs less than reserving a hotel room or studio at that same resort through Disney. As mentioned, the downsides are no daily housekeeping (unless you pay extra for it,) no flexibility with changing dates, need to reserve far in advance, etc..
If it’s in the budget to consider a 1br. DVC villa that’s a very nice option for BLT and VGF (the wilderness lodge villas only sleep 4 in a 1 br..) The 1 br.s at BLT and VGF have a master bedroom with a king size bed for mom and dad. Plus a sleeper sofa for 2 of the kids and a pull down single for the third kid in the living room. They have a full kitchen w/ dinning table open to the living room stocked with plates, glasses, utensils, etc.. The washer & dryer in the 1 br. units come in handy too. The balcony/patio is an added bonus over budget/moderate Disney hotel rooms. I haven’t stayed in the 1 br.s at BLT, but have at the VGF, and those villas are quite nice.
David’s DVC has a calculator you can use to compare the cost to rent a DVC villa, a standard view VGF 1 br. for 8 nights in Feb. 2019, will run close to $6,000, a lake view 1 br. at BLT runs closer to $5,000, the difference in price is because it costs more points to stay in a 1 br. at VGF than a stay at BLT costs.
Here’s a link https://www.dvcrequest.com/cost-calculator.asp

Good luck with your decision and if a DVC villa is the way you decide to go, be ready to book 11 months before your planned stay - so March of 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter