Rent a scooter for the week or rent from the park as needed?

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
Hello all!

This is a brand new consideration for us so I'd like some input from the experts.

We are likely going down in April with my mom (she and I will be fully vaccinated by then :-) ) who is 77. She gets around okay around here but I notice she gets winded and tired even walking a quarter mile in our neighborhood. She's been to WDW with us many times and always seemed to manage ok but she seems to have slowed down over the last couple years and I'm thinking it may be time to consider getting a scooter for her for at least some of the time.

We are staying at YC and would like to walk to DHS but that would just be too much for her. I also think just walking around EPCOT and AK would be too much for her. I think walking at MK and DHS would be ok because of the nature of those parks and the frequent breaks.

If we just rented scooters at the parks as needed, how much do they cost? Would we have to walk all the way to the front of EPCOT to rent or are they available at the IG entrance? Of course, if we rent at the parks, then we wouldn't have one for "walking" to DHS so we'd have to take the Skyliner or boat. If we do a week long rental, how much of a pain is it to drive it for a newbie? I'm thinking getting onto the bus may be tricky for her.

Any advice from y'all if you've been in this position would be greatly appreciated!

My wife was having hip issues, didn't take much walking for pain to get bad enough that there is no way she'd be able to tackle Disney. We had a Disneyland and WDW trip planned within a year. We ended up renting a scooter for her to use, and saved her walking to far as much as we could. This allowed her to park the scooter for most of the ride lines.

As a result she was able to fully enjoy the parks and not end up in major pain even after a long day. She really didn't want to use it on our first trip, but quickly found how necessary it was and glad she did.

Hello all!

This is a brand new consideration for us so I'd like some input from the experts.

We are likely going down in April with my mom (she and I will be fully vaccinated by then :-) ) who is 77. She gets around okay around here but I notice she gets winded and tired even walking a quarter mile in our neighborhood. She's been to WDW with us many times and always seemed to manage ok but she seems to have slowed down over the last couple years and I'm thinking it may be time to consider getting a scooter for her for at least some of the time.

We are staying at YC and would like to walk to DHS but that would just be too much for her. I also think just walking around EPCOT and AK would be too much for her. I think walking at MK and DHS would be ok because of the nature of those parks and the frequent breaks.

If we just rented scooters at the parks as needed, how much do they cost? Would we have to walk all the way to the front of EPCOT to rent or are they available at the IG entrance? Of course, if we rent at the parks, then we wouldn't have one for "walking" to DHS so we'd have to take the Skyliner or boat. If we do a week long rental, how much of a pain is it to drive it for a newbie? I'm thinking getting onto the bus may be tricky for her.

Any advice from y'all if you've been in this position would be greatly appreciated!
check the prices but most times it is cheaper to rent offsite than in park plus the ones in park are very very slow speed. ps I find the smaller offsite ones easier to drive. with less benches in the parks I find having my own seat to rest helpful. also remember the distance from either parking to TTC and into park at MK. PS you could drive it onto and off bus if needed and most times driver will help you park once on bus. one thing I would do if you have time before your trip is have her practice at stores using the large ones there

In parks, $50 a day plus deposit. You can rent at IG but be aware that they can run out. The ECVs in the parks are huge, terrible turning radius, and very slow.

You can rent a much better scooter from off property... I use Gold Mobility but there are others for half the cost. And you will have it at the resort.

I often stay at Epcot resorts. Having the scooter to hop around the lake, into Epcot and the Studios, not to mention the new Skyliner makes staying there a real treat. In this location I would most definitely rent from offsite

Hello all!

We have struggled with that same situation. My husband's nerve damage to his leg is getting worse, and his mobility is affected. However, I know Him and I know he wouldn't use an ECV full time.
We have rented at the parks without a problem many times. We usually get to the parks early anyway, and get a cart IF he wants one. They cost $50 a day with $20 (I think) deposit which is returned when you return the vehicle.
You can go to another park the same day and just show your receipt to get another cart.
We have never had a problem with getting another cart at another park later in the day.

I guess it depends on what your Mom prefers. Some people, like my husband, may need one full time but won't get one full time. I do what I can and have been happy with the in park rentals. Hope this helps.

Definitely rent by the week. It's less expensive. No waiting in line to pick up or drop off the park scooter every day. Alot of mileage comes from getting around the resort and to transportation. The park scooters go very sloooooowwwww.

The one harder thing about weekly rental is you'll need to learn how to charge it back up. No problem though, there's a cord and you plug it in :)

My mom started using a scooter when she was in her late 70’s and loves it. She rents by the week so that the long walk back to the resort/around the resort isn’t a problem. She does find it takes a bit of time to get used to driving it, and she gets a little frustrated in crowds with people cutting in front of her. But in her words “it makes the difference between enjoying the vacation or not being able to enjoy it.”

Rent offsite for the week - cheaper, less hassle and stress and in all honesty - the WDW ECVs are huge and have a much wider turning radius than the offsite rental models...

My mother who is in her 70s with knee problems has used gold mobility scooter twice now. They showed her how to use it when they dropped of the scooter and made sure she was comfortable in it. We rented a 3 wheel scooter. They are much easier to maneuver verses the 4 wheel scooters the park rents. She still is a little unsure about driving it on the bus, so when its time to load she gets off and I get on and drive it in for her.

Definitely rent from an offsite company. There’s no worse feeling in the world than going up to the rental counter only to find out that there’s no more svooters to rent and either wait for one or walk all over the park on my bad leg and have to “Bench Hunt” all day.

Thanks, everyone!

It looks like we'll be renting a scooter. I just priced it on Gold's and it $190 for our 8-day trip…less than renting 4 times in the parks.

I feel like I'll be having to drive it on the bus for her and that's fine. I do just have one more question though…how long do the batteries last? Will we have to stop and charge it in the parks? Is there somewhere to even do that?

Again, thank you all for your advice!

Be sure to charge overnight and you should be good for a full day in the parks.

BTW, bus drivers often offer to help with handling the scooter... if you drive up the ramp they can guide it into a parking spot... don’t be shy about taking their assistance... these guys are pros!

I’m sure you will have a wonderful trip!

Be sure to charge overnight and you should be good for a full day in the parks.

BTW, bus drivers often offer to help with handling the scooter... if you drive up the ramp they can guide it into a parking spot... don’t be shy about taking their assistance... these guys are pros!

I’m sure you will have a wonderful trip!

Thank you! I'll definitely take them up on their help :-)

My mom has arthritis and my dad heart issues. We've rented offsite for the past number of trips and it has been the very best decision!! There is A LOT of walking outside of the parks. A scooter has made all the difference in them being able to enjoy their trips!!

Thanks, everyone!

It looks like we'll be renting a scooter. I just priced it on Gold's and it $190 for our 8-day trip…less than renting 4 times in the parks.

I feel like I'll be having to drive it on the bus for her and that's fine. I do just have one more question though…how long do the batteries last? Will we have to stop and charge it in the parks? Is there somewhere to even do that?

Gold's batteries are very good. They replace them often. One day we forgot to charge it overnight and we made it through half of a second day before it died.

Thanks, everyone!

With Gold, they use extended batteries and replace their equipment every 6 months, so just make sure you get the right one for your weight and charge at night, you will be fine all day, my wife and I never even bring the chargers into the parks anymore.

And although I definitely wouldn't recommend it, if you do forget to charge the scooter some night, it will last at least another 1/2 day in the park Ask me how I know this:blush:
Actually it may have lasted longer, but I was so nervous and scared that the ECV would suddenly stop because of my forgetfulness (So I was kind of distracted all morning, this is why I don't recommend being forgetful), that I returned to my villa and charged it

And although I definitely wouldn't recommend it, if you do forget to charge the scooter some night, it will last at least another 1/2 day in the park Ask me how I know this:blush:
Actually it may have lasted longer, but I was so nervous and scared that the ECV would suddenly stop because of my forgetfulness (So I was kind of distracted all morning, this is why I don't recommend being forgetful), that I returned to my villa and charged it
I didn't forget to charge it one night, but didn't get it plugged all the way in, it still lasted the entire day the next day, but I did bring the charger with us that day.

You can charge your scooter anywhere there is an electrical outlet. You may have to ask a cast member where one is located, and try to find an outlet nearby an attraction. Then you can go enjoy the attraction while your scooter charges. I have also used Gold Mobility and have had their batteries last over a day and a half. They also come with a little fan attached to the steering bar, which is really nice during warm weather. You can request an additional rear basket to hold gear and bags but it may not fit on some of the buses, although you can take it off before you park the scooter on the bus. The scooter also comes with a drink holder and a USB port for charging a cell phone, but remember that it uses battery power as it charges. You might want to bring an additional disposable rain poncho to cover the seat and handle bars in case of a shower. The rental company provides a shower-cap type device that will cover the electronics on the scooter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter