• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rent a car with Air Miles

crazyfordisney2000

DIS Veteran
Anyone rent a car with air miles?? It says I just have to pay the tax ($94), it's 2400 air miles (which I have) for a midsize car with Alamo from Aug 16-29th. It just seems so cheap to me. Anyone use air miles? Anything I should know? Thanks!:goodvibes

We have done this. Are you planning on buying insurance at alamo? Most Visa cards do not insure rentals unless you pay in full with your Visa. Just something for you to check.

Recently renting a car to drive down to Pittsburgh and back a few things to look into ....

first being is the 2400 airmiles .. does it give you all the millage you need/want? AND does it allow you to drive into the USA with the car!

A lot of time your limited with miles if the car is approved to go cross boarder so make sure you wont be getting hit with fee's for going over your millage if you take the car into the US

Secondly check with your car insurance .. a lot of times you are covered with a rental car with your own car insurance as long as you bring the papers with you! Phone and ask it could save you some $$ on buying useless unnecessary accident coverage.

Thank you a thousand times for making me check into this!! I spent many hours experiencing mini-freak outs! Would hate to have to pay $26/day when all i'm currently paying is $73 for taxes.

I'm renting for October 26 - November 8, an economy car (just 2 of us and we drive a FIT here) for a mere 1,995 miles <thud> Getting the car from the CCC on-site, used them many times with no problems. Every other time we could only get gift cards to use and could only use a max of 3 -- i so much prefer this method of paying up front and knowing it's DONE :thumbsup2

Quick call to our insurance company and her answer "Just don't rent a Hummer, you're covered for up to $50,000.00" :lmao:

Thank you a thousand times for making me check into this!! I spent many hours experiencing mini-freak outs! Would hate to have to pay $26/day when all i'm currently paying is $73 for taxes.

I'm renting for October 26 - November 8, an economy car (just 2 of us and we drive a FIT here) for a mere 1,995 miles <thud> Getting the car from the CCC on-site, used them many times with no problems. Every other time we could only get gift cards to use and could only use a max of 3 -- i so much prefer this method of paying up front and knowing it's DONE

Quick call to our insurance company and her answer "Just don't rent a Hummer, you're covered for up to $50,000.00"

YAY!!!! :cheer2: That's awesome!!!

We have done this. Are you planning on buying insurance at alamo? Most Visa cards do not insure rentals unless you pay in full with your Visa. Just something for you to check.

This is true for MasterCard too.... ask me how I know :(

We rented a car Mar 18-24, 2013 from Budget at MCO. We paid only $175. I bought the insurance at Manitoba Public Insurance before we left because it's a lot cheaper.

Have you ever thought of using those 2400 Airmiles ftowards your park tickets? It might be a better deal for you.

Have you ever thought of using those 2400 Airmiles ftowards your park tickets? It might be a better deal for you.

We have already done that and still have miles left. :)

Also, the cheapest so far I can get is $400 taxes in, for a rental car, tickets are less than that. But, I'm still searching before I use my miles. But I agree with your thinking, I used air miles for flights to Florida once, the stupidest thing I have ever done with my miles!!!!! By the time I paid the taxes, I could have had a flight out of Syracuse for maybe $100 more!

did you ever try calling the company you have your car insurance with? I was surprised to learn that it includes rental car coverage. If yours doesn't I'm sure they could add a short-term rider for not much $$. It's worth a quick call ;)

Do you have a costco membership? I've never checked, but I heard they have good deals on car rentals.

Does anyone know if the cost of airmiles fluctuate like car rental prices do? I am starting to look around to get a feel for prices for when we go and thought this may be an option for me for my airmiles.

I'm not sure about them fluctuating but i can tell you that i think i got an incredible deal. 2 full weeks for an economy car (we drive a Fit at home so don't need a big one!) from the CCC for 1,995 miles. We will pay $73.30 US for the taxes when we pick up car. I had to pay a huge amount for the "redemption fee & taxes" $11.30 :rotfl2:

I did notice that over the 3 week period of time that i was toying with using the miles that the cost of the taxes did vary up or down within a $5.00 range for some reason :confused3

I really like the fact that i have one more thing checked off my list before we even leave the house. I say just go for it and enjoy not having to search for a deal anymore. Just be aware of what has been discussed regarding insurance when using your miles ... found out our personal car insurance covers rentals BUT if you purchase the insurance with your WDW reservation it's also included there. Phew kinda gave a long answer didn't i?? :lmao:

Thanks for the info :) We are covered with my personal car insurance for car rentals.

I have awhile to decide yet but just an option I'm toying with :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter