Renewed my MK - tips + park report, pics + maps offer

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I was eating my lunch on the Pizza Planet patio today when I received a text from a friend. He’d just been sent his renewal email from Disney and renewed his Inspire MK. Moments later, my phone buzzed and my notification arrived. I was concerned that many people with Aug 29 expiration dates would overwhelm the servers today (Disney IT: I’m looking in your direction) but to my surprise and delight, the renewal process took only about three minutes.

One thing that tripped me up slightly was that when it came time to pay, the site defaulted to monthly payments. I’m not a fan of debt and carry little if any. Just as in the non-Disney segments of my life, I prefer to pay balances in a lump sum. It took a slight bit of navigating before I found the option. I’m very sleepy now and can’t remember exactly how I did it but a friend suggested that I scroll to the bottom of the page to find the pay-in-full option, which I did, ultimately. Once that was seen to, the process completed in less than 30 seconds. Also to my great surprise and delight, there was no price increase and there weren’t any discernible access changes. One friend was concerned that they’d nix the included parking from Inspire. Thankfully, they did not.

Once I was renewed (now through 8-28-24!), I was able to make all six of my new-pass reservations, so I now have the next ten Sundays booked :-).

Park report. My morning felt cursed. Even though there were only three cars ahead of me to enter the structure at 7:00, they all moved at the pace of chilled caramel set to thaw on a frigid sidewalk. I suspected that each car ahead of me was trying and failing to make payment in some complex combination of pennies, foreign coins and several maxed-out credit cards. Once I got through that traffic trauma and parked, I moved towards the escalators.

There were a good number of people already ahead of me, thanks to my delay at the entrance. But just then an elevator door to my right opened. I hopped on and the door began to slide closed. It was 99% complete when the family that had been standing there before I even arrived decided that suddenly they had to be on it and pressed the call button. The door reopened at the pace of Eeyore with a hangover and an attitude problem. All of this contributed to my arriving later than usual at security. Lines were already long and supremely slow. Everyone ahead of me had at least two bags with no fewer than nine zipped pockets to inspect.

In short, I missed my friends at the park gates by about 20 seconds. Ordinarily, that wouldn’t be a problem, merely a mild annoyance and I’d meet them at the rope. However, on this particular day, they’d met a fellow guest who was staying at the California Grand and invited them both to join their party for early entry. I missed that plum opportunity and being first on PP (as they were). Buzz also being exasperating², which all made for a challenging morning. However, I met a really nice woman at the Adventureland rope named Jodi from Salt Lake City, so that helped to make up for all of the trouble. Moreover, as I always remind myself, any trouble or complaint at DL is a pure First-World, one-percenter problem. I need to keep things in perspective.

Some park pics. I didn’t take as many as I usually do today. These will have to suffice until y’all take your own trip or until I post again next week.
IMG_5625.jpegIMG_5627.jpegIMG_5628.jpegIMG_5629.jpegIMG_5630.jpegIMG_5631.jpegIMG_5633.jpegIMG_5634.jpegIMG_5635.jpegIMG_5623.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice report as always, ooohh NAP was there, but loads of variety on the board!
IMG_5623.jpeg

LOL ... Disneyland Toffee used to be my favorite take-home treat ... until I saw them being made a few months back through the windows on Main Street. Now I can't stomach them. Thankfully your photos are 'stills' not animated in any way ... phew!

I always lurk and read your reports on the DIS. Love the weekly update and in-park pictures, it makes us feel like we are actually there.

But I have to say, that is kind of frustrating that non hotel guests are getting into early entry. We pay a lot to stay at the Grand Californian and have that privilege for EE, so it makes me question how many others are bypassing the rules to get in?

LOL ... Disneyland Toffee used to be my favorite take-home treat ... until I saw them being made a few months back through the windows on Main Street. Now I can't stomach them. Thankfully your photos are 'stills' not animated in any way ... phew!
Wait...what did you see that turned you off to the toffee??? It's my favorite!!

...do I really want to know?

Nah, you don't want to know.

I've always loved watching the various candy-makers performing their art, their magic, from the windows. Dipping and decorating apples or marshmallows are still delightful to watch ... but making Toffee is not an art form. This should be done in a backroom and left "unseen" ...

Nice report as always, ooohh NAP was there, but loads of variety on the board!
Yes, he was! We're acquainted but I never saw him. It was odd that he only had mediocre scores. Usually he'll have something like 2,070,000 by 8:20. Also, at one point I thought I had about 2,080,000 and I stopped shooting. That would have earned me the number-one spot. When I checked my score at the photo kiosk, however, I saw that I'd gone over 2,097,000 by about 15,000. That's always aggravating and anticlimactic. I liken it to working 30 hours of overtime and expecting a huge check but when you open the pay envelope, you find that the company doesn't pay 1.5x for overtime and the remaining excess was consumed by taxes. So for working an additional exhausting 30 hours, you earn nothing. All of that work of trying to hit that narrow score target between 2,045,200 and about 2,097,000 was for nothing. When you factor in all of the broken targets and guns, it's an even bigger challenge and resulting disappointment. But again, these are one-percenter complaints ;-).

Yikes. I was wondering the same thing. The toffee is my favorite, now that the fudge is gone. And I don't usually like toffee. My mind is running wild right now! 😄

Nah, you don't want to know.

I've always loved watching the various candy-makers performing their art, their magic, from the windows. Dipping and decorating apples or marshmallows are still delightful to watch ... but making Toffee is not an art form. This should be done in a backroom and left "unseen" ...

Yikes. I was wondering the same thing. The toffee is my favorite, now that the fudge is gone. And I don't usually like toffee. My mind is running wild right now! 😄
Ok, now my imagination has churned up things that can't be unthought, so please do tell! I'm thinking the reality can't be worse than what my mind conjured up.

Ok, now my imagination has churned up things that can't be unthought, so please do tell! I'm thinking the reality can't be worse than what my mind conjured up.
Please put your imagination to rest on this one. While the treats made with apples and marshmallows are carefully dipped and decorated (with attention to detail and placement) ... the toffee treats are "mindlessly run through the mud."

The Cast Members were pretty busy chatting with one another and directing other activities while their hands were, somewhat mechanically and strangely independent of the CM's focus and attention, dragging the bare toffee through the chocolate. When watching the treats being made, my eyes got stuck on the Cast Member's hands (in purple gloves that were thicker and looser than the blue gloves shown in photos above) ... and how the treats were (literally) HANDled. My brain made a judgement call that surprised me: The treat is in their hand too often, too long and rather indelicately unlike the other treats that are managed by the sticks which pierce and hold the treat during creation. In short: I felt oddly uncomfortable with those purple hands!

After watching the process, I'd prefer to think these treats were made by sophisticated, polished machines rather than human participation. Sometimes, it is better NOT to know how something is made.

It was a weird observation for me ... just simply weird. It was one of life's "lightning strikes!" moments ... and I was immediately cured of a craving.

So now you know ... and hopefully you can put your mind to rest! (And hopefully you can continue to enjoy those very tasty treats!)

Last edited:

Well the first thing that came to mind was that the candy makers stand up on the counter in front of the window - with bare feet - and crush the nuts...similar to Lucy crushing grapes with her bare feet. 😂

@WonkaKid Great pictures as always! Would you mind sharing where the Madame Leota costume was on display? We really enjoyed the movie and her costume was a stand out. (That headpiece!) I would love to see it in person.

@WonkaKid Great pictures as always! Would you mind sharing where the Madame Leota costume was on display? We really enjoyed the movie and her costume was a stand out. (That headpiece!) I would love to see it in person.
It's in the lobby of the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln building. I haven't seen the movie but I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I'm acquainted with Katie Dippold, the writer. I've seen her perform improv countless times at UCB. She's an amazing performer: smart, funny and bold. We've only spoken five or six times but she's always kind and says hello when she sees me in theater. I hope to see her perform this week. She's on my favorite improv team but she's not always there. Used to have some pics of her on stage but can't find them now.

Interesting! The movie was very well written...funny but also sweet and touching in a way I wasn't expecting. I hope you get to see her perform this week! And thanks for the location info. We'll look for it next time we visit.

I always lurk and read your reports on the DIS. Love the weekly update and in-park pictures, it makes us feel like we are actually there.

But I have to say, that is kind of frustrating that non hotel guests are getting into early entry. We pay a lot to stay at the Grand Californian and have that privilege for EE, so it makes me question how many others are bypassing the rules to get in?
Hi Rob! Glad for these great photos and that you recovered the day nicely!! Also thanks for the sneak peek at the Halloween merch in your more recent park report!!! Please keep that coming!! LKC loves her Halloween and NMBC merch!!!

As for hotel guests taking non-hotel guests through EE, I don’t know how this would be possible unless you had phantom guests on your room (I think sometimes people book phantom kids into their room to get a chance at certain bedding configurations; putting phantom adults gets you a nightly charge if there are now more than 2 adults per room) or if some guests from your booking were not using their EE that morning. When we went 3 weeks ago, we were a party of 6, staying across 2 rooms at the GCH. Every day that we used EE, EACH of us had to scan our individual room key to enter the EE. So I don’t see how we could have allowed anyone else in with us since we were all there for EE, and that was the same total number of people we had in the rooms.

I agree that other than proximity, the main reason many of us are paying almost $900/room/night to stay at the GCH is for the EE. So diluting this benefit would not be in Disney’s best interest, to me anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter