• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Remind me of bus etiquette

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
I don't remember any of it I am sure it will come to me but I plan on wearing headphones or earbuds so I will not be tempted to give money to panhandlers big problem on our bus system

taking a bus would be like a jungle to me, i wouldnt know what to do, but regardless not giving nothing to panhandlers

Here are bus rules in my opinion. Always nod or say hello or at least acknowledge the driver when getting on and off. If you’re in a good mood even yell out a quick thanks while getting off.

Have your card and or cash ready to pay or scan when boarding do not hold up the line behind you especially if it’s raining and those outside are getting wet.

Give your seat up to those who really need it. You know basic human rules like older people, pregnant ladies etc.

Don’t smell

Keep your earbuds volume low we all do not need to be listening to your music.

taking a bus would be like a jungle to me, i wouldnt know what to do, but regardless not giving nothing to panhandlers
That’s me. I’ve only ridden public buses in WDW. But, I’m with you on the panhandling.

It's been a good 20 years since I regularly took the city bus. I don't recall panhandlers back then. I'd usually sit near front if possible. Get up from your seat if an elderly person gets on and no more seats are available. Don't get lost in your own world or have music too high if you have earbuds in. If there's only one seat left and it's next to some strangers, sit down and "good morning"....ETA, doesn't mean you have to have a conversation with them. I just find it cordial.

Last edited:
I use city buses on a daily basis and have used underground, trams and buses in multiple cities in Europe and America.

Dont talk to your fellow bus travellers if they are not with your party. Most people who use public transport on a daily basis really dont want to chat. They listen to music, are on their phones, read a book or just stare out the window. They really have no interest in interacting with anyone and dont care that this a novelty or new experience for you.

Dont sit beside someone in a double seat if there are open double seats elsewhere on the bus. Most people prefer to sit by themselves, and its only as the bus fills up is it ok to sit beside someone on a double seat.

Dont expect people to give up their seat for you, yes it is good manners BUT not everyone will do it. Sometimes I give up my seat but sometimes I dont. Some times I have just finished work and I am exhausted and need to sit, sometimes I may have a sore foot or leg and need to sit, sometimes my bus journey may be nearly 2 hours and Im not giving up my seat and standing for 2 hours.

Dont take up a seat in a crowded bus with your luggage or shopping bags. Yes buses are crowded sometimes, yes space is limited. It is your responsibility to be able to hold or manage all your bags without taking up a seat.

Make sure you know the correct fare, have the correct payment method and know which stop you should get off. All public transport systems have route maps and fares and journey planners. There is nothing worse than a person who holds up the bus to find the correct far in their purse, or who talks for aaaages with the driver cos they dont know the fare or the stop they want. Do your research and planning BEFORE starting your journey

Panhandelers are usually only a problem on trams and underground trains. Some will be selling things, some may have music and dance or sing. ALL ARE ILLEGAL. Do not not make eye contact, do not watch the performance, do not engage with them in any way. Look at the wall, the ground or just stone wall them.

Be careful of your personal safety. Depending on the area, it may not be advisable to use your phone or have your wallet or purse in plain sight. In the city where I live, the tram system is notorious for the snatch and run. The thieves watch people on their mobile phones, then when the tram doors open, they walk past the person, grab the phone and run off the tram just as the doors are closing.

When you want to get off, make sure to ring the bell to alert the driver. If the bus is crowded, allow yourself time to squeeze past other passengers to get to the door. Dont expect the driver to wait at the stop for you. They pull up and open the door. Its your responsibility to be ready to exit the bus when the bus stops at your stop. Take too long and the driver will close the door and drive off, thinking no one wants to get off.

When you enter a bus, wait for the people to exit before you try to get on. There is nothing worse than trying to pay the driver and slow pokes trying to squeeze past you, OR the reverse, trying to exit the bus while the eager beavers try to get on.

Also some buses have an exit only door. If the driver opens the exit only door, USE it and dont try to squeeze past the people using the entry door.

If there are no more seats and it is standing room only, make sure to take off your backpack and put it at your feet. It is reaaaallly annoying on crowded buses when people wear their backpacks and take up too much room or said backpacks hit you in the face.

Last edited:

@BadPinkTink lyft has a new subscription program were you prepay up to 30 rides and 5 percent off the rest of the rides I am looking into it because I learned very quickly that lyft is less stressful then the bus plus if I subscribe

1. I am only paying dollars vrs 23 dollars dollars for this trip
2.if I get sick one less thing to pay for

I'm 61 and have ridden the bus here twice, and that was 55 years ago. No idea there was bus etiquette. I do work with a 20 something young lady who has no car, and says she would rather walk the 2 miles to work than take the bus or light rail here. And a lady of my age was excited to get a job downtown and being able to take light rail. That lasted 5 days, when she bought a car and signed up for a parking spot.

I'm 61 and have ridden the bus here twice, and that was 55 years ago. No idea there was bus etiquette. I do work with a 20 something young lady who has no car, and says she would rather walk the 2 miles to work than take the bus or light rail here. And a lady of my age was excited to get a job downtown and being able to take light rail. That lasted 5 days, when she bought a car and signed up for a parking spot.

I don't blame them on so many levels

That’s me. I’ve only ridden public buses in WDW. But, I’m with you on the panhandling.
Spent years riding CTA buses in Chicago. Never ran into a panhandler. A drunk here and there but never one begging. I mean they have to pay first to get on the bus to pay

Most panhandlers I was referring to were at the transit center

I sympathize with them but I don't carry cash anymore

I remember this homeless couple from 2006 it was so bad that the wife died from a heart attack

Spent years riding CTA buses in Chicago. Never ran into a panhandler. A drunk here and there but never one begging. I mean they have to pay first to get on the bus to pay
I didn’t think they were on the bus. I was saying I was with him on not giving them money. They’re at pretty much every stop light around town here.

I visited my daughter in New York City a few years ago and she gave me the following pointers. Never make eye contact with anyone on public transportation - ever. Keep your eyes focused on a book. Also, After I gave a homeless man a few dollars because he was sitting on the sidewalk with two trained cats, my daughter informed me to never give cash -to anyone. However, she always had a breakfast/granola bar to give to a homeless person. On DWD transportation, I smile and say to anyone who makes eye contact - it truly is a different world.

Wow, we have a lot more of a friendly bus atmosphere than where BadPinkTink is from! DD used to ride it a lot to and from college internship, and she told me great stories about crazy old women with cats, etc. We train our special needs kids to ride the local bus too, and the local community looks out for them. We always see someone we know during bus training, and the kids feel comfortable riding locally.

For our bus system, it would be considered rude to sit one in a double seat, as lots of people ride with friends and would like to sit next to that person. If people are using the doubles as singles, then there's a high likelihood that when two people get on together, they won't be able to sit together! When we use the train to go into Youth Pride, we all sit together and have a great time - it would stink if people sat individually and then when we got on the train we had to spread out in the leftover seats.

Best two train rides ever were the one for the first Women's March, and then the Duckboat parade day for the Bruins Stanley Cup win. Both times the train was full of interacting riders - why people want to sit like zombies every day for over an hour is beyond me.

I took a 30 minute bus ride one way twice a day every day for a decade.

• Have exact change.
  • Use earphones or read a book.
  • Don't talk to or pay attention to anybody.
  • If you are able-bodied person and the bus is full, give up your seat for a child, pregnant woman, elderly person, or someone with a disability.

Wow, we have a lot more of a friendly bus atmosphere than where BadPinkTink is from! DD used to ride it a lot to and from college internship, and she told me great stories about crazy old women with cats, etc. We train our special needs kids to ride the local bus too, and the local community looks out for them. We always see someone we know during bus training, and the kids feel comfortable riding locally.

For our bus system, it would be considered rude to sit one in a double seat, as lots of people ride with friends and would like to sit next to that person. If people are using the doubles as singles, then there's a high likelihood that when two people get on together, they won't be able to sit together! When we use the train to go into Youth Pride, we all sit together and have a great time - it would stink if people sat individually and then when we got on the train we had to spread out in the leftover seats.

Best two train rides ever were the one for the first Women's March, and then the Duckboat parade day for the Bruins Stanley Cup win. Both times the train was full of interacting riders - why people want to sit like zombies every day for over an hour is beyond me.
I'm going to assume you're not taking the MBTA on a daily basis to/from work. I do - both the Orange Line and the bus. Although BadPinkTink may have been describing service in a different city, it's also pretty spot on for the MBTA with a few exceptions. Panhandling is legal in MBTA stations as long as it's done in the "performance area".

Trust me, if the bus is fairly empty and you decide to sit next to me (or anyone else) when there are plenty of other seats open that you could choose from, you're going to get the stink eye. If the bus is crowded, that's a different story.

For those of us commuting every day, there's a very simple rule regarding interacting with other commuters: unless there's some kind of emergency, you don't say anything to me and I don't say anything to you and we're all happy. It has nothing to do with wanting to sit like a zombie. It has to do with the fact that it's either early in the morning and I'm on my way to work or I've just put in 8+ hours in the office interacting with other people. I don't want to be forced into that during my commute as well. Trust me, just about everyone else on that bus or subway car commuting is thinking the same thing. Someone tries to force interaction on me, I'm either going to outright ignore them or, if that doesn't work, get up and move to another place in the car or bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter