• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Remembering a friend, Sylvia....

Dan Murphy

We are family.
Over the past 18 years, I have posted rather lengthy threads here on the community board, remembering Sylvia, a disboard member, who back on June 7, 2001, passed away after a long fight against the beast, only 39 years old. Most of those who knew her from back then have moved on, on their own accord, or otherwise. Most here today have no knowledge of this wonderful lady from so many years ago, nor of her son Nick. Nick, about 5 years old at the time, should be about 24 or so now.

Today, January 14th, we again celebrate Sylvia's birthday. She would have been 57.

Other than periodic updates about Nick and his grandma Margarete (Sylvia's mom), the lengthy reads both on Sylvia's birthday and date of passing, never really changed year to year (if anyone wants to see those with more pictures from previous years, a search here with Sylvia as keyword and me as poster will bring up many). I'll email Margarete today and if I have any updates on Nick, I will add here later. So rather than posting another sort of same, long thread, I just thought I would post this short thought, remembering this wonderful lady, Sylvia.

God speed, my friend, God speed. :hug:'s And continued good wishes for Nick.

Sylvia3_600X443.jpg

Over The Rainbow
--click for sound

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Once in a lullaby
Blue birds fly
Dreams really do come true
Someday I'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney tops is where you'll find me
Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
And the dreams that you dare to, oh why, oh why can't I?
Well I see trees of green and Red roses too,
I'll watch then bloom for me and you
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world
Well I see skies of blue and I see clouds of white
And the brightness of day
I like the dark and I think to myself
What a wonderful world
The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people passing by
I see friends shaking hands
Saying, "How do you do?"
They're really saying, I...I love you
I hear babies cry and I watch them grow,
They'll learn much more than
We'll know
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world
Someday I'll wish upon a star,
Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
And the dreams that you dare to, ... why, oh why can't I

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Remembering our friend Sylvia today......

Avoncandle.gif

Thank you. I remember Sylvia and when she passed. Was her Avatar Eyeore?

I never saw a picture of her so thank you for including.

Dan, so nice of you to remember her but unfortunately there's several people we need to add to a "remembrance" thread, especially after all these years. :sad1:

I remember her well , thats back in the days when we were young and we thought we would all live forever, You do well Dan keeping memory alive

As usual, thanks for remembering her. It's hard to believe it's been that long and that some of us have been on the DIS even longer!

I remember her too. I hope her son Nick, is doing well.

Thanks Dan for the remembrance

but unfortunately there's several people we need to add to a "remembrance" thread, especially after all these years.
Here is one of the paragraphs I included, and added to each year, when I posted a longer version of this thread twice a year........

About one year before Sylvia passed away, another young DIS'er, Tink 2300, aka Stephanie, also passed away. And in past years, we lost Robin and Beverly Lynn, two more young women in the prime of their lives. Three young children, Nick, Caitlyn and Aryn lost their moms way too early in life. Keep their memories alive, Steph, Sylvia, Robin, Beverly Lynn. Also, in past years, we also lost DIS'ers Montessori, FloridaCat, Tigger13, Richyams, FaithinKarma, JudySue, Hurricanpatti (aka Hanname), ILUVDXL, Tigger13, Hilside, Herclover, MinnieM3 (Beth), Marlasmom, Julie_yet, and as said, just 4 years ago, same disease as Sylvia, Lisa. In 2010, our good friend Kama89 (Kim), passed away from breast cancer, and her young son, Cameron, now without his mom. And late 2011, Robin Costello (Delswife) passed away. In 2012, Pandy Paws (Donna), our favorite train engineer in the Magic Kingdom and safari driver in Animal Kingdom. Jambo, Donna, all aboard. And also, good friend, Mackey Mouse (Marsha) joined her life’s love Tommy for all eternity. Last year, we lost JungleCruiser (Sarah), wdw4us2 (Lisa) breast cancer. And same for PatsMom (Linda). Mamajoan (Joan) passed away suddenly last year, as did ugadog99 (Melanie). Please keep Melanie’s daughter, DIS’er keypooh in your thoughts.
Please remember all these good people (and others if I have missed their names), all family members of our DIS community and family. :hug: If there are others (I don’t frequent the community board as often anymore and may have missed), please add them in a reply.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...-birthday-52-years-ago.3221500/#post-50470952

I could also add to those above, MsDisney23, Kitty Castellini. She was so involved with diabetes and research of it to beat it. Her pancreas transplant gave her additional good years of working toward her goal. Also Cheshire Figment (Mike), our Disney CM ticket guru and disABILITIES board expert. Mike helped so many here. He is now with his love, JudySue.

Not sure of additional folks.

Last edited:
Here is one of the paragraphs I included, and added to each year, when I posted a longer version of this thread twice a year........

About one year before Sylvia passed away, another young DIS'er, Tink 2300, aka Stephanie, also passed away. And in past years, we lost Robin and Beverly Lynn, two more young women in the prime of their lives. Three young children, Nick, Caitlyn and Aryn lost their moms way too early in life. Keep their memories alive, Steph, Sylvia, Robin, Beverly Lynn. Also, in past years, we also lost DIS'ers Montessori, FloridaCat, Tigger13, Richyams, FaithinKarma, JudySue, Hurricanpatti (aka Hanname), ILUVDXL, Tigger13, Hilside, Herclover, MinnieM3 (Beth), Marlasmom, Julie_yet, and as said, just 4 years ago, same disease as Sylvia, Lisa. In 2010, our good friend Kama89 (Kim), passed away from breast cancer, and her young son, Cameron, now without his mom. And late 2011, Robin Costello (Delswife) passed away. In 2012, Pandy Paws (Donna), our favorite train engineer in the Magic Kingdom and safari driver in Animal Kingdom. Jambo, Donna, all aboard. And also, good friend, Mackey Mouse (Marsha) joined her life’s love Tommy for all eternity. Last year, we lost JungleCruiser (Sarah), wdw4us2 (Lisa) breast cancer. And same for PatsMom (Linda). Mamajoan (Joan) passed away suddenly last year, as did ugadog99 (Melanie). Please keep Melanie’s daughter, DIS’er keypooh in your thoughts.
Please remember all these good people (and others if I have missed their names), all family members of our DIS community and family. :hug: If there are others (I don’t frequent the community board as often anymore and may have missed), please add them in a reply.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...-birthday-52-years-ago.3221500/#post-50470952

I could also add to those above, MsDisney23, Kitty Castellini. Not sure of additional folks.

Thanks, Dan. I guess I have never actually read the long version as I thought it was mostly about our dear Sylvia whom I knew a little bit being on the DIS at that time and your sweet posts on her.
Wow, after reading this paragraph I forgot some of these DISers........:sad1:

Dan I had no idea we lost a few of these folks, especially the ones in the last year. I don't really hang out on the DIS as I did in years past and it's sad to see how many folks have passed on. It's kind of you to remember them in your threads.

Over the past 18 years, I have posted rather lengthy threads here on the community board, remembering Sylvia, a disboard member, who back on June 7, 2001, passed away after a long fight against the beast, only 39 years old. Most of those who knew her from back then have moved on, on their own accord, or otherwise. Most here today have no knowledge of this wonderful lady from so many years ago, nor of her son Nick. Nick, about 5 years old at the time, should be about 24 or so now.

Today, January 14th, we again celebrate Sylvia's birthday. She would have been 57.

Other than periodic updates about Nick and his grandma Margarete (Sylvia's mom), the lengthy reads both on Sylvia's birthday and date of passing, never really changed year to year (if anyone wants to see those with more pictures from previous years, a search here with Sylvia as keyword and me as poster will bring up many). I'll email Margarete today and if I have any updates on Nick, I will add here later. So rather than posting another sort of same, long thread, I just thought I would post this short thought, remembering this wonderful lady, Sylvia.

God speed, my friend, God speed. :hug:'s And continued good wishes for Nick.

Sylvia3_600X443.jpg

Over The Rainbow
--click for sound

Way up high
Once in a lullaby
Blue birds fly
Dreams really do come true
Someday I'll wish upon a star
Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
And the dreams that you dare to, oh why, oh why can't I?
Well I see trees of green and Red roses too,
I'll watch then bloom for me and you
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world
Well I see skies of blue and I see clouds of white
And the brightness of day
I like the dark and I think to myself
What a wonderful world
The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people passing by
I see friends shaking hands
Saying, "How do you do?"
They're really saying, I...I love you
I hear babies cry and I watch them grow,
They'll learn much more than
We'll know
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world
Someday I'll wish upon a star,
Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
And the dreams that you dare to, ... why, oh why can't I

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Remembering our friend Sylvia today......

Avoncandle.gif

Three little words small and tender just to say I still remember - rest gently sweet soul

Thanks for the memory Dan. I appreciate your posting in her honor.
We sure have lost a lot of DISers over the years. Too many too young!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter