Remember when? WDW 25th Anniversary

My ex and I won a trip for 4 to the 25th Celebration...remember the glasses you could get at McDonalds with the different lands on them? Inside was a little guide and an entry form to win a trip. I filled out one for each of us and of course they picked him! It was harder than I expected finding the other 2 folks to go, everyone had stuffed planned, etc! It was a great trip, with air, hotel- we got the Boardwalk just after opening-all dining included and vouchers for water sprites and stuff. It was for 4 days 3 nights, so we added on an extra week and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. The topper for me? I got to meet Dan Aykroyd and saw John Goodman and Jim Belushi who were all there for the opening of the House of Blues! I just found a bunch of stuff in a box from then- 2 watches still in boxes, mugs too. Doubting anyone wants them so I will probably take them to donate. Gave away all of the framed artwork last year, as long as I have the photos and memories I am good.

While we were at WDW for the 25th Anniversary, on 09/30/1996 we were at DHS.
We had all been seated on ToT except for the front row - when they finally brought the last two guests onto the ride everyone onboard was surprised to see it was Drew Carey and a friend.

My wife, daughter and I were right behind Drew. When the ride ended, Drew and friend were quickly whisked away by a CM. Buying the photo was an opportunity for a fun memory.

Enjoy!

remember the glasses you could get at McDonalds with the different lands on them?
Those glasses might be the reason we own DVC! :rotfl2: On our way home from a visit to my parents for Labor Day weekend 1996, we stopped at McDonalds and saw those glasses. I told my DH we needed to schedule another trip to WDW (because our 1994 and 1995 visits were so much fun). He booked us for Thanksgiving at the brand-new BWV, and after that we began to talk in earnest about buying into DVC, which we had investigated in 1994. Thanksgiving week 1997, staying at Poly, we walked into the sales center at BW and told them we wanted to buy. All started by those glasses!

Shouldn't surprise me, but I'm surprised how many of these attractions were already around back then. ToT, Star Tours in particular. Our first visit was 2010 so it's hard to appreciate how long some attractions have been going.

Oh yeah, and that castle cake. Enough said.

Dan

Thanks for sharing these memories! Husband and I were there for our honeymoon and I remember being disappointed about the cake castle but had a great time imagining how they decorated it!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this thread!!! The 25th was my first ever trip at the age of 25. Haven’t vakayed anywhere else since. 💗 THANK YOU for sharing all that.

Thanks for sharing these memories! Husband and I were there for our honeymoon and I remember being disappointed about the cake castle but had a great time imagining how they decorated it!
We also were there on our May 1997 honeymoon! Awesome memories!!

I liked the castle cake too! I wouldn’t want to see it every day, but it was quirky for their special anniversary. So hoping we get to visit for the 50th.

To the poster who bought a DVC, do you recall what you paid?
We bought BWV in November 1997, 300 points at $62.50 pp after incentive. The incentive was related to our 7-night stay at the Poly that week - it would have been 98 points if paid for with DVC points, so the cost of 98 points was deducted from our total price. FYI that would be around $100 pp in today's dollars.

Our first trip was for the 15th anniversary. When entering the MK, people (I don't know if all people or just some)received a little slip of paper with a free gift. Some lucky recipient was going to get the car that was parked out front of there MK. I won a free soft drink, but I never redeemed it. I still have my redemption and sometimes wonder if I could still get a free soft drink. But I'll never know-having that coupon is such a great souvenir, I don't want to turn it in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter