Relaxing day in between park days .. ideas?

danceanddisney2010

Mouseketeer
Hi guys! We will be at the parks in a couple of weeks and will have a day off in the middle of our stay to relax and recharge for the second half of our trip. We will be staying 1 week at the GCH and normally we'd just relax at the hotel and have a spa day, but since there is no longer a spa .. that is no longer an option. Any other ideas? We don't want to sit in the hotel all day and would like to go out and do something that is not too overwhelming and since 6 out of our 7 days will be go-go-go! Any suggestions are welcome :) Thanks in advance!

I stay at the grand 8 days last year and the year before. Knotts or mall or pool day! Next trip will be a laker game on off day. Very expensive but always dream of going to nba game.

If you like shopping, maybe spend some time at South Coast Plaza (upscale, indoor mall in Costa Mesa -- there is a free shuttle from some area hotels -- maybe from the DLH?) or Fashion Island (very nice outdoor mall in Newport Beach -- maybe use a taxi or ride share for this).

Rent a cabana by the pool. Even if you aren't going in the pool, it can be a nice way to relax. I haven't done it there, but I have at other hotels. We had waiter service and a TV. We read, napped, had drinks and a meal in our cabana.

I just googled day spas near Disneyland and few came up if you really want to spend a day at a spa. Hilton has one and there were others. I am not familiar with any of them.

OP didn't ask for relaxing, just "not too overwelming".
I consider Knotts just that.
YMMV.
To be fair, Relaxing was in the title. As for Knotts, I don't think that I've been there in over 40 years, so I don't recall how it was.

It really depends what "overwhelming" means to you. I would take a car down to Huntington Beach, rent bikes. You can get the bikes at Dwights about 100 yards south of the pier. Or just walk on the beach, take in the sights at Surf City U.S.A.. the culture there really is like you see in the movies. I suggest walking around the area, look at the few remaining beach bungalows, get coffee at a place off pch and 5th st. can't remember the name, but at night it's packed. Just soak it all in. Watch the sunset.

It really depends what "overwhelming" means to you. I would take a car down to Huntington Beach, rent bikes. You can get the bikes at Dwights about 100 yards south of the pier. Or just walk on the beach, take in the sights at Surf City U.S.A.. the culture there really is like you see in the movies. I suggest walking around the area, look at the few remaining beach bungalows, get coffee at a place off pch and 5th st. can't remember the name, but at night it's packed. Just soak it all in. Watch the sunset.
That’s what we plan on doing on our off day.

Will you have a car? If you want a spa day, I highly recommend the Resort at Pelican Hill (Newport Beach), which is about 20 miles away but well worth the drive... such a wonderful spa and resort. They have nice restaurants there too with a gorgeous view.

We were so exhausted on our off day that all we did was walk around Downtown Disney and check out the shops and decor, had lunch and some ice cream. After that it had been a few hours and all I wanted to do was relax in the room. DH took DS to the pool.

Balboa Pier/Newport Beach - grab some lunch and rent a Duffy boat and have your lunch on the water.

I second Balboa/Newport. You can walk the beach and have some lunch. You could book a whale watching cruise leaving from that area in advance. They also have short harbor cruises you can take that we have booked on a whim when we are in the area. There are a lot of cute little boutiques on Balboa Island. Not too far away is the big Fashion Island shopping center, if you want to shop.

Sleep in, have a late breakfast/early lunch at one of the hotels or in DTD. Try the Void. Get a beverage and a table at Starbucks and enjoy people watching. Take an afternoon nap. Relax in the GCH lobby and listen to the awesome piano music while sitting in front of the fireplace.

Sleep in, have a late breakfast/early lunch at one of the hotels or in DTD. Try the Void. Get a beverage and a table at Starbucks and enjoy people watching. Take an afternoon nap. Relax in the GCH lobby and listen to the awesome piano music while sitting in front of the fireplace.

This, and maybe do some bowling at Splitsville. You can even combine that with lunch.

This, and maybe do some bowling at Splitsville. You can even combine that with lunch.

I forgot that was even there. I do wish they would open up a small theater where the AMC theaters were. Just a couple of screens would be great. We would go to the movies 2 or 3 times every visit to the parks. Nice way to get away from crowds during the heat of the day too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter