Relaxing after Marathon Weekend

Dimickey

Earning My Ears
In January, I will be participating in the RunDisney Marathon Weekend. Since I am from Europe, this is a far trip. As a result, I would like to combine the weekend with a pleasant vacation afterwards in the US in which there are some things to see anyway. A previous time I did a road trip through Florida following the half marathon. Does anyone have tips of nice combination citytrips/roadtrips or vacations following the Marathon Weekend?

Are you looking for a place close by to drive or are you up for a flight? Coming from Europe I'd suggest some of our natural parks since most won't be anything like what you'll see in Europe as far as I know.

If you are willing to do some flying I'd suggest in no particular order:

The Grand Canyon
Yellowstone
Yosemite

There is an interactive map here so you can plan to knock out a few in places like Utah.

I would not suggest Yosemite or Yellowstone in January. Most (if not all) of those parks will be closed due to snow. The Grand Canyon would probably still be accessible but could also have snow. It’s easy to combine with Las Vegas if you want to experience that spectacle.

Personally, I’m stopping in Asheville, NC on the way to Florida. It’s a nice little city with good breweries. There’s some hiking in the area but no idea what that’s like in the winter. Great Smoky Mountains National Park is less than 2 hours from Asheville, but again, no idea how winter impacts it.

Another option would be to drive up the east coast and check out some of those towns like Savannah, GA, and Charleston, SC. Depending on how much of a road trip you wanted, you could keep going to the likes of Washington DC or New York although either of those may be a little ambitious.

I echo the East Coast road trip. Stop in St. Augustine, FL (first permanent European settlement in North America), Savannah (absolutely beautiful!), Charleston, SC, etc. You can guy as far up as you want, even up through NYC or Boston.

You could also loop back through some of the Southern Parks which will still be open. Great Smokey Mountains, Mammoth Caves (a bit far, but worth it), or even Atlanta, GA (lots of great history, especially about Martin Luther King Jr.).

Let us know what you decide! And good luck with your race (jealous) 😀

I didn't even take the time of year into consideration. Yea, I wouldn't do a few of those in winter.

A road trip to historic Savannah would be a good place that isn't too far and is still close by. The Keys too.

Thanks so much already for all the tips and advice, I will definitely look for them!

Last time we indeed did a road trip through Florida (Crystal River - Naples - Everglades - Miami - the Keys) and January was the ideal time for it. Very pleasant weather and plenty of time to visit each location. It was so nice to do this trip that in itself we wouldn't mind doing some locations again, but on the other hand there is so much to see and experience in the US that we want to take this opportunity (to be in Orlando again) to explore another beautiful part of the US.

I had been thinking about New Orleans or New York last few weeks. New Orleans put me off a bit by reports of rising crime. Although I also read that with normal caution (which you have to have in many cities) most visitors can visit New Orleans without problems. New York is also on the bucket list but here I have some worries that the weather will be too cold (we are traveling from Europe so already have a lot of luggage to carry and both clothes for pleasant climate in Orlando and winter clothes for New York may not all fit in the luggage).

But everything is still open. Thanks again for your wonderful and appreciated input!

Just a note on Yellowstone- It is open in winter, but to over snow vehicles only (except for the road from the north entrance to the NE entrance which is plowed and open to wheeled vehicles all year). So you would need to take a tour in a snow coach or on a snowmobile. You could do some cross country skiing or snowshoeing.
I once had to pass a bear on a snowmobile - that was… interesting. (no issues and everyone was safe)

Although I also read that with normal caution (which you have to have in many cities) most visitors can visit New Orleans without problems. New York is also on the bucket list but here I have some worries that the weather will be too cold (we are traveling from Europe so already have a lot of luggage to carry and both clothes for pleasant climate in Orlando and winter clothes for New York may not all fit in the luggage).
If you're smart, you can travel to New Orleans perfectly safely. And the food there is AMAZING!

You are right that New York will be very cold that time of year, and the wind comes down the streets through those buildings like canyons -- BRRR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter