Regrets?

Only spoiled/entitled baby regrets here. 😉

We stayed club level almost every trip prior to buying VGF five years ago. Not just club level but main building at the GF.

We both miss the lavish continental breakfast in the club lounge that enabled us to save dining plan credits to do more Signatures.

Really petty regret: I miss the nightly turndown service with chocolates, walking into the room after dinner to find those, a bedside lamp on and tv tuned to the WDW channel.

The upside is that as much as a GF CL package cost us, we broke even on VGF in just two years. :cheer2:

im curious what break even is for most people

if I were to stay on Disney property in hotel rooms vs book my points for studios breakeven for me is about 8 years

if I stayed off property at the swan and dolphin double that to 16 years

I know there are a lot of very detailed ways people calculate this and I'll just get this out of the way up front ... My way of calculating is basic AF. We also have only had our contract for a year so harder to have the data for detailed analysis ... BUT if I just go off the cash rate for the rooms we've booked using our DVC contract we're at about $19k 'worth' of rooms (this takes into consideration whatever room rates were available) and our contract cost us $22k. I feel like we're one trip away from "breaking even".

Yes, I know there are other considerations like dues and what else we could've done with the money. If we didn't spend it on DVC the money would've just been used for whatever other random **** we buy, another vacation, or some home updates. It was bonus funny money. We waited to buy DVC until we could afford it without having to cut into our savings or retirement money.

One of the biggest reasons we wanted to buy DVC was the ability to book larger accomodations than we would ever book paying cash. We would never pay cash for 1 and 2 bedrooms, just silly to spend that much on a hotel IMO. Of the three trips we've taken/booked so far on our contract, two stays in 1bedrooms and one stay in a 2 bedroom. We enjoy having the ability to treat family and friends and we also enjoy privacy from our children at the end of a hectic day. It makes our vacation actually a vacation.

If you're frugal and really crunching detailed numbers and comparing studios numbers, I don't know if DVC ever really breaks even.

I know there are a lot of very detailed ways people calculate this and I'll just get this out of the way up front ... My way of calculating is basic AF. We also have only had our contract for a year so harder to have the data for detailed analysis ... BUT if I just go off the cash rate for the rooms we've booked using our DVC contract we're at about $19k 'worth' of rooms (this takes into consideration whatever room rates were available) and our contract cost us $22k. I feel like we're one trip away from "breaking even".

Yes, I know there are other considerations like dues and what else we could've done with the money. If we didn't spend it on DVC the money would've just been used for whatever other random **** we buy, another vacation, or some home updates. It was bonus funny money. We waited to buy DVC until we could afford it without having to cut into our savings or retirement money.

One of the biggest reasons we wanted to buy DVC was the ability to book larger accomodations than we would ever book paying cash. We would never pay cash for 1 and 2 bedrooms, just silly to spend that much on a hotel IMO. Of the three trips we've taken/booked so far on our contract, two stays in 1bedrooms and one stay in a 2 bedroom. We enjoy having the ability to treat family and friends and we also enjoy privacy from our children at the end of a hectic day. It makes our vacation actually a vacation.

If you're frugal and really crunching detailed numbers and comparing studios numbers, I don't know if DVC ever really breaks even.
Im basic on my roi calculations too

dvc cost plus annual dues in ten and twenty years respectively

disney cash rate at avg nightly cost $600

what’s my break even

this only works if you use Disney dash rate. If you stay off property or at swan break even is more than 2x

the swan reserve is an awesome hotel and it would really have saved me money but it’s just a hotel. It’s not a destination and that’s what I truly love about Disney hotel. You are immersed into the theme of the hotel and transported to something special.

relocate the swan or any other off property hotel and you could be in middle america

only other hotels in Orlando that immerse the guest are universal Imo. Portofino bay does a nice job but still not Disney

My only regret is buying a December UY when our daughter’s birthday is in November (it was such a great deal on a loaded contract!). Not that we only plan to go then. Perhaps we'll just add on a small contract with a better UY for birthday trips!
Make sure you understand how difficult it is to have 2 separate use years. It makes it pretty hard to book trips because the points don't pool together unless you transfer from one membership to the other. Having 2 different use years is like being 2 totally separate people.

Im basic on my roi calculations too

dvc cost plus annual dues in ten and twenty years respectively

disney cash rate at avg nightly cost $600

what’s my break even

this only works if you use Disney dash rate. If you stay off property or at swan break even is more than 2x

the swan reserve is an awesome hotel and it would really have saved me money but it’s just a hotel. It’s not a destination and that’s what I truly love about Disney hotel. You are immersed into the theme of the hotel and transported to something special.

relocate the swan or any other off property hotel and you could be in middle america

only other hotels in Orlando that immerse the guest are universal Imo. Portofino bay does a nice job but still not Disney
LOL at "basic AF" - and agree with both of you. We still stay at the Swan on occasion for short, last minute trips or to save points. And for sure, we book larger accommodations than we would ever have done paying cash, and have an overall different type of vacation as a result. (Our first stay on points was a BLT 1br, and my then-7yo exclaimed, "THIS IS THE NICEST HOTEL ROOM I HAVE EVER EVER SEEN!!!!" I don't even know how to calculate break-even on that, since they pretty much squeal any time they can see Space Mtn from a BLT room.)

The other intangible value we've gotten from DVC has been - DH and I used to be the most awful workaholics, and planned our family vacations around each others' conferences. DVC has forced us to plan real vacations with the kids (and not just slap together something last-minute that's not thought out), and the anticipation of the trip has been part of the joy. And with a new outlook forced, in some part, by the pandemic, it's nice to take a breath and be in the moment with my kids who are not going to be this sweet forever. Puberty looms...

LOL at "basic AF" - and agree with both of you. We still stay at the Swan on occasion for short, last minute trips or to save points. And for sure, we book larger accommodations than we would ever have done paying cash, and have an overall different type of vacation as a result. (Our first stay on points was a BLT 1br, and my then-7yo exclaimed, "THIS IS THE NICEST HOTEL ROOM I HAVE EVER EVER SEEN!!!!" I don't even know how to calculate break-even on that, since they pretty much squeal any time they can see Space Mtn from a BLT room.)

The other intangible value we've gotten from DVC has been - DH and I used to be the most awful workaholics, and planned our family vacations around each others' conferences. DVC has forced us to plan real vacations with the kids (and not just slap together something last-minute that's not thought out), and the anticipation of the trip has been part of the joy. And with a new outlook forced, in some part, by the pandemic, it's nice to take a breath and be in the moment with my kids who are not going to be this sweet forever. Puberty looms...

This is a great perspective. There's no way for me to really calculate break even because we would never pay the cash price for a deluxe on site resort. So we're not "saving" over what we would have paid technically. You could compare it to point rental I guess, but that's not a true comparison because there's value in the flexibility you get from owning vs renting. We've rented points and it's fine, but we wouldn't want that to be our main method of booking. Too inflexible and (slightly) risky. I have little doubt we will spend more overall on Disney vacations than if we weren't members, and I'm ok with that. This is a frivolous luxury purchase so my only calculation is that I want it and I can afford it. I do lots of calculations in other aspects of my finances to make sure that's the case :p

Last edited:

This is a great perspective. There's no way for me to really calculate break even because we would never pay the cash price for a deluxe on site resort. So we're not "saving" over what we would have paid technically. You could compare it to point rental I guess, but that's not a true comparison because there's value in the flexibility you get from owning vs renting. We've rented points and it's fine, but we wouldn't want that to be our main method of booking. Too inflexible and (slightly) risky. I have little doubt we will spend more overall on Disney vacations than if we weren't members, and I'm ok with that. This is a frivolous luxury purchase so my only calculation is that I want it and I can afford it. I do lots of calculations in other aspects of my finances to make sure that's the case :p

I tried to do it when we first bought and compared to what we were paying with a discount for Contemporary. It was break even after about 7 years.

Of course that was when we had 180 points to start, now at 800 so dont Even want to run numbers! Hahaha

I tried to do it when we first bought and compared to what we were paying with a discount for Contemporary. It was break even after about 7 years.

Of course that was when we had 180 points to start, now at 800 so dont Even want to run numbers! Hahaha

We started with 160, just closed in December. It was double points for 2022 so we'll be able to push some points ahead for the next 2-3 years and live like we actually own about 250 lol. After that we're already wondering where we will add on another 75-100. That should allow DW and I to stay in studios a couple of weeks a year and still be able to bank enough to do a 2 BR every 2 or 3 years with my son and his family. Then again when it comes to points, too much is never enough, right?

Make sure you understand how difficult it is to have 2 separate use years. It makes it pretty hard to book trips because the points don't pool together unless you transfer from one membership to the other. Having 2 different use years is like being 2 totally separate people.

Yea, not 100% set on getting it yet, but if we were to it would be exclusively for birthday trips (i.e. not intending to pool together). Still on the fence about it b/c as she gets older and starts going to school birthday trips will be less and less likely. Always looking for an excuse to justify addonitis :)

Yea, not 100% set on getting it yet, but if we were to it would be exclusively for birthday trips (i.e. not intending to pool together). Still on the fence about it b/c as she gets older and starts going to school birthday trips will be less and less likely. Always looking for an excuse to justify addonitis :)
I just can't emphasize enough much easier it is to have 1 use year. I ended up with 2 unintentionally (bought a 2nd contract to change home resort with intention to sell first) and it has just made it complicated to plan trips. I get it that it's possible to manage the 2 memberships, but if I could go back I'd have bought my second contract with the same use year, even though I may still end up selling one.

This is an interesting question and I am an interesting case study. As you can see from my username I set up my account to learn more about DVC in 2013. We bought our first contract, VWL, for about $60 per point in 2013. Then we bought a BLT contract for $115 in 2014. We sold both of our contracts in 2018 due to a kitchen remodel that went way over budget (as if any home remodel ever comes in anywhere near budget). We sold the VWL for about $80 and the BLT for about $120.

We are now at a point where we have cash and could buy back in. However prices are much higher now and we have decided the value just isn't there anymore. So, in a way, you could say I "regret" buying DVC because given the choice right now I'm not buying. And if I hadn't sold in 2018 I'd probably be selling now. Here's why:

1) Our kids were born in 2009 and 2012. During the stroller/nap years a villa close to the park is a huge plus. The ability to stay at a Crescent Lake resort and walk to two parks is an amazing benefit when you're pushing a double stroller. Seriously, buses are a much, much worse experience when you have a double stroller.

2) When your kids are like 4 years old it's easy to know you're going to go to WDW every year for at least the next several years. But now that they are 10/12 do they want to go to WDW every year for the next 5-10 years? I don't know about that. Do college age adults really want to go to WDW with their parents when they are home from school? I don't think I would have wanted to do that. So there just doesn't seem to be enough time left for WDW vacations to make the DVC purchase worth it.

3) Renting points. We went in 2021 and stayed at BWV and I rented points from David's Vacation Rentals for I think $18 per point. Maybe it was $20, but the idea is that renting is a viable option. With the dues about $10 that means the points only cost you $10 net to rent. With $140 prices that's like 14 years for a break even range (these are all rough numbers, but you get the point). So if it's going to take 14 years to break even but my kids may only want to go the next 5 years.... you see where I'm going with this.

4) Staying off site. There are a ton of offsite options. Now, offsite kinda sucks I admit. But it sucks a lot less when you have teens than when you have toddlers (see point #1). And it's like WAY cheaper to stay offsite. I did a quick look and there's a suites place at Disney Springs where you can get a 1 BR villa (which is what we got with DVC) for like $400 per night. DVC just doesn't make financial sense at $140 per point when you have these other alternatives. A 1BR villa at even OKW (which I think is the cheapest) is like 220 points for a summer week, at $20 per point renting that's $4,400, about $600 per night. So it's almost double what it would cost to stay at a Disney Springs place. Again, these are rough numbers but you get the idea.

5) changes at WDW. I'm not opening this Pandora's box too much. But the idea is a Disney vacation has changed quite a bit in the 10 years since we originally bought. Back when we bought they still had paper fast passes, or maybe they were right at the transition to FP+, but now FP+ doesn't even exist. A DVC purchase is a long term commitment, like getting a dog, and it's difficult to know what to expect from a Disney trip 10 years from now. By choosing to rent points or stay off site I keep flexibility and that has value.

We sold both of our contracts in 2018 due to a kitchen remodel that went way over budget (as if any home remodel ever comes in anywhere near budget).
We are about to engage on a remodel that keeps going over scope and budget (and we haven't even started yet). So I am Not Allowed To Discuss Adding On until that is paid for and comfortably behind us. Therefore I come here to talk with supportive enablers. ;)

2) When your kids are like 4 years old it's easy to know you're going to go to WDW every year for at least the next several years. But now that they are 10/12 do they want to go to WDW every year for the next 5-10 years? I don't know about that. Do college age adults really want to go to WDW with their parents when they are home from school? I don't think I would have wanted to do that. So there just doesn't seem to be enough time left for WDW vacations to make the DVC purchase worth it.

My oldest is 10 and she still wants to go multiple times a year. I grew up going to Disney World the cheap way with my parents (driving 2-3 days each way, staying offsite, packing lunches or only doing QS) etc. As a teen and college kid, my mom often planned vacations at WDW or Hawaii or somewhere else than going home, and I always happily went. Maybe I'm weird that way. My mom passed earlier this year and my dad's first trip after caring for her for many years was to join us at WDW. We stayed at VGF, ate at lots of nice, table service places, and started paying it back for all the years they scrimped and saved to take us on memorable vacations.

Last edited:
My oldest is 10 and she still wants to go multiple times a year.
My oldest is now 9 and she is always excited about when our next trip is. She tried to tell us that we just had to go this summer since Thanksgiving was too far away; we just got back a little over a week ago from 8 nights at Disney. She also talks at length (and in great detail) about skipping a big 16th birthday party and having us pay for 6 or so friends of hers to come down to Disney with us, stay with us, and celebrate her 16th by going to the parks and having a sit down dinner. Now I’m not totally sure how she thinks this is all going to be funded (she might actually be on to something because it probably is cheaper than a big 16th birthday at a nice place up here in CT) but she already has it all planned out in her head :jumping1:

My oldest is now 9 and she is always excited about when our next trip is. She tried to tell us that we just had to go this summer since Thanksgiving was too far away; we just got back a little over a week ago from 8 nights at Disney. She also talks at length (and in great detail) about skipping a big 16th birthday party and having us pay for 6 or so friends of hers to come down to Disney with us, stay with us, and celebrate her 16th by going to the parks and having a sit down dinner. Now I’m not totally sure how she thinks this is all going to be funded (she might actually be on to something because it probably is cheaper than a big 16th birthday at a nice place up here in CT) but she already has it all planned out in her head :jumping1:
As someone who just paid $10k+ for a quinceanera, a Disney trip for 6 would have been way cheaper

I have not paid quinceanera $ for a birthday party (yet!) but back in the "invite the whole class to a party at chuck e cheese/play area/bowling alley times" it was already getting close. My 10yo is very excited to invite friends to WDW. Last summer another family (her BFF) came around the same time because their more adventurous travel plans were canceled. We planned most of our days together, and it was so much fun.

The other intangible value we've gotten from DVC has been - DH and I used to be the most awful workaholics, and planned our family vacations around each others' conferences. DVC has forced us to plan real vacations
I'm quoting this out of order, and I may have even said it in this thread, but this is the main "value" we've gotten out of owning timeshare. Owning a use-it-or-lose-it vacation asset makes vacation planning a priority. Left to my own devices? Maybe not. It's sort of like a gym membership, except that vacations are fun.

We certainly have not saved money, because we vacation much more often, but what's wrong with that?

we book larger accommodations than we would ever have done paying cash, and have an overall different type of vacation as a result.
I suspect that for most people, even if they don't end up taking more vacations, timeshare might not end up saving them money. Instead, it's a bit of an aspirational purchase, in that it's a way to stay in much nicer digs than you'd normally get for not very much more money.

I would never have rented the 3BR penthouse with the wraparound lanai in the Hilton Waikiki complex for cash. And, it took two of my "regular" timeshare weeks to make one week there happen, so it still wasn't "cheap" (even though it was cheap). But gosh it was nice.

There are a ton of offsite options. I did a quick look and there's a suites place at Disney Springs where you can get a 1 BR villa (which is what we got with DVC) for like $400 per night.
....and that's expensive. I can do a 2BR condo during Prime season at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for an all-in price of just over $900 for the week. That includes the purchase price (easy to calculate even with opportunity cost, because it was zero dollars). That's a little unusual---I sort of backed into a very low-cost Wyndham deed by picking up some floating weeks that I was later able to convert for free. But even at twice the price, it's less than a single Disney Moderate for a week.

do they want to go to WDW every year for the next 5-10 years?
I don't think anyone's crystal ball is that good. Of my two, one caught the Disney bug, and one didn't. The latter is willing to go with us, but is also very glad that Disney is not our only vacation destination.

I just can't emphasize enough much easier it is to have 1 use year. I ended up with 2 unintentionally (bought a 2nd contract to change home resort with intention to sell first) and it has just made it complicated to plan trips. I get it that it's possible to manage the 2 memberships, but if I could go back I'd have bought my second contract with the same use year, even though I may still end up selling one.
We have two different use years (April and June) for our contracts. We bought enough points at each resort for our family to use independently for our yearly stays. I didn't want to mess around with banking, borrowing or transferring our points.

Only regret not buying more BLT points with developer matching points :love: We originally bought at BCV and loved the pool and Epcot. Then sold and bought at BLT for that extra bathroom in the 1 and 2 bedroom. Game changer for my 2 boys! I also never tire of the view of MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter