Regional Foods?

Also poutine!!

Louisiana DISers, I'm disappointed nobody's mentioned shrimp and grits, or cheesy grits. I've had some pretty amazing grits in NOLA!

I would humbly correct you on poutine, that was invented in Quebec, Canada.

For my area, British Columbia, it has to be the Nanaimo Bar.

I think she may have been adding poutine because it has been popular throughout Maine well before it became trendy in the US. Several of the foods (ployes, cretons, tourtierre) I mentioned were not created in Maine; they come from early cultures in what is now Canada. The area of Maine I mentioned has a lot of Quebecois, Acadian, and Brayonne influence. You'll still see street signs in English and French, Catholic Mass is offered in English and French, menus are often in both languages. Many people who live in this region have ancestors who became American accidentally; they didn't move, but the border (between Maine and NB) did. Yes, poutine was created in Quebec, but has been a popular food in this part of Maine for my entire life (and ployes, cretons, tourtierre for much longer.)

This is the praline recipe I've used since childhood; it has vanilla in it, which I love, but which makes it tricky to handle, because the addition of the vanilla speeds up the setting process.

The key to pralines is a reliable thermometer, a heavy steel or iron pot (don't use non-stick; the boiling sugar is hard on nonstick surfaces), and careful attention to timing. Once you start cooking these, you are committed, so turn off your phone until you're done. Measure out all of your ingredients ahead of time and lay them out on your counter in order of use, because as soon as the sugar syrup hits the right temperature (you don't need to do the water test; just rely on your quality candy thermometer), you are working against the clock, and if you take too long, your praline syrup will harden in the pan before you get the candies poured. It's also important to clear a heat-resistant space for the pour and set out your wax paper before you start, because you won't have time later. Oh, and the best tool to use to stir the syrup and drop the candy is a well-seasoned wooden spoon.

½ cup butter
1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
½ pound light brown sugar
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 pound pecans

• In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, heat butter until melted. Blend in both sugars. Cook and stir until sugar dissolves.
• Stir in cream until blended. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to medium high and stir continuously until mixture becomes foamy and frothy, darkens in color, and reaches soft-crack stage. To test for soft-crack stage, between 270 and 290 degrees on a candy thermometer, drop a small amount onto ice water: the drop should form hard but pliable threads.
• Remove from heat. QUICKLY stir in vanilla and pecans. Continue to stir for 5 minutes or until mixture begins to stiffen. Spoon individual circles of mixture onto waxed paper. Allow pralines to cool completely before removing from waxed paper.

The recipe says to stir the final stage for 5 minutes before beginning the pour, but in my experience that's too long; I'd say it's more like about 1-2 minutes; you just want to get the pecans coated and the vanilla incorporated before you start spooning out the candy.

PS: I can't swear to the chemistry of the thing, but this one does preserve the crunch of the pecans, presumably because they are not being boiled with the syrup. I've eaten some from recipes where the pecans are added sooner and cooked with the syrup; that seems to cause the pecans to become chewier.

PSS: If you're a bit slow and you end up with some crumbs that are too hard to pour, don't throw them away; scrape them out of the pan to save for ice cream topping.

Last edited:
Scrapple here in PA/NJ. I don't know if it's sold all over the country or if it's popular elsewhere. I love it sliced thin and fried in a little butter, then served on a kaiser roll with a runny egg. Now I want some.
Thought that was a poor Southern thing lol.

Admittedly, I didn't read all the pages, but as an Eastern NC girl by heart....

Cheerwine
Pulled pork with vinegar/pepper flake sauce and chopped coleslaw
A hot dot or burger with said coleslaw and chili, no beans.
Pepsi
Anything with Texas Pete

Being lazy I could have looked it up on the internet but I think it can be more for fun the DISer to let me know what in the heck a Booya is. :-)
"Booyah (also spelled booya, bouja, boulyaw, or bouyou) is a thick stew, believed to have originated in Belgium, and made throughout the Upper Midwestern United States.[1] Booyah can require up to two days and multiple cooks to prepare; it is cooked in specially designed "booyah kettles" and usually meant to serve hundreds or even thousands of people.[2][3][4] The name can also refer to a social event surrounding the meal."

or:

What is booyah in Minnesota?
“Booya” (sometimes spelled “booyah”) is a type of stew particular to Minnesota and the Upper Midwest, made in batches of up to 200 gallons at a time. (The word may have origninated from a mishearing of “buillon” in Wisconsin.) Most take a minimum of 12 hours to cook, and some as many as four days.

Pretty much - Massive gathering of people to eat an amazing "stew" that has been cooking in some ancient cauldron for at least 48 hours. People show up with any kind of container they can find - ice cream buckets being the norm - and get takeout to freeze, plus a bowl to eat right then. Served with saltines and butter, or some kind of bread.

You will see signs all over the place starting in early fall of where and when the local booya is. Ours that we attend is at a dive bar. Old family recipe that he cooks in the backyard of the bar for 2 nights, stirring constantly. Good times!

Central NC.

The area is known for BBQ.

What they call BBQ, though, is mushy pulled pork meat on a hamburger bun.

I always considered BBQ to be ribs, brisket, smoked turkey, smoked sausages.

We had countless work meetings catered with BBQ where I would skip out for lunch.

And Stadium Mustard.

The only other Ohio related regional food that seems to be known anywhere is chili on pasta (think Skyline), but that is Cincinnati, not Cleveland.

I see a lot of references to the Fish Fry and they are big around here as well but I don't think those are really regional as much as tied to any area with a high Catholic population.
Cleveland area - also Malley’s Chocolates, Mitchell’s and Pierre’s ice creams and Mr Hero sandwich shops.

Thought that was a poor Southern thing lol.

Admittedly, I didn't read all the pages, but as an Eastern NC girl by heart....

Cheerwine
Pulled pork with vinegar/pepper flake sauce and chopped coleslaw
A hot dot or burger with said coleslaw and chili, no beans.
Pepsi
Anything with Texas Pete
I had Cheerwine in Florida and it was awesome; I want to say it was available at some chicken place, something the crazy chicken, maybe? El Pollo loco? Don't remember.

What is Texas Pete?

Philly here:

Cheesesteaks
Soft pretzels for breakfast
Tastykakes
Herrs chips
Scrapple (not that I recommend it LOL)
Pork roll (it's not Taylor Ham)
Whoopie pies
Shoo fly pie

I'll edit if I think of more items to add..
60 years ago, boys carrying boxes of pretzels walking through the streets. Yelling freeesh pretzels, already freeeesh. Today we would go ewwww, buying food like that. Nickel each. pretzel and a glass of milk, perfect breakfast.

Last edited:
60 years, boys carrying boxes of pretzels walking through the streets. Yelling freeesh pretzels, already freeeesh. Today we would go ewwww, buying food like that. Nickel each. pretzel and a glass of milk, perfect breakfast.
It's old men on street corners that sell them here, but the tradition is very much alive, especially in places with a lot of German-Americans (which this is.) The bakery that does them here makes thick rod pretzels about a foot long; current usual price is $1.50 each or 5 for $5. There is a guy whose usual corner is about 5 blocks from my house on the route to the interstate on-ramp; he makes bank. He's got a nice setup with a lawn chair, a beach umbrella on a stand, and an insulated wooden warming box.

That's because shrimp & grits isn't a Louisiana native dish. It comes from the Low Country in South Carolina, and has only recently begun to be served in South Louisiana restaurants, mostly because tourists were asking for it. (In Louisiana, grits are for breakfast, and adding cheese is not unusual, but that's true throughout the South, not specific to Louisiana.)

Personally, I've never been able to stomach grits, even the fancy stone-ground type; the texture is repellant to me and they taste very bland.
Shows you what I know about grits. I'm a New England girl who's only had shrimp and grits in NOLA, so...
I agree. I prefer corn grits from Zea’s if I eat grits at all.
@LSUmiss YES!!! My sister lives in Gretna and we go to Zea's every time we visit. Didn't have enough days on last week's trip to eat everywhere we wanted to, so I got a take-out portion of Zea's corn grits to satisfy my cravings!

@Aladora Yes, I was adding on to the list of foods that I've seen here in northern Maine. I know poutine is Canadian but it is appearing on more and more menus here in northern Maine, but I haven't seen it in southern Maine (where my sister lives).

@Aladora Yes, I was adding on to the list of foods that I've seen here in northern Maine. I know poutine is Canadian but it is appearing on more and more menus here in northern Maine, but I haven't seen it in southern Maine (where my sister lives).
We had poutine in a few places in Detroit. But the best poutine I ever had was in Toronto.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter